Mines are too powerful. Solution? Lower damage, increase number of mines to carry/deploy

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheLeader, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Ranik

This is one of the great divides between PS1 players and those who don't know better.

Every single person who played Combat engineer in PS1 desperately want's the old style of mines / CE back. And all of the people who don't know better simply spout "They are fine as they are." "Get mineguard"

It's like watching children defend something that others know is a pale comparison to it's predecessor

One side concerns themselves only about their K/D ratio mines. The other wants actual defensive tools that are fun to use on either side of the equation. Currently you are forced to use mineguard or risk being insta gibbed. But if that person has mineguard, your mines are now literally worthless.

Old PS1 style mines + a reduced strength mineguard = A much better system than we have now
    • Up x 1
  2. Cougarbrit

No, when it was big was a time I neither had internet access nor a means to subscribe. And I get most of my fun from mines with high risk/reckless charges against enemy vehicles or by sneakily placing them in the exact right spot to catch a retreating/advancing vehicle.

I basically use them like I used C4 in Bad Company 2.
  3. Cougarbrit

And to us it's watching old people defend old ways because they're more comfortable with them. Just like the entirety of human history.

It works both ways.
    • Up x 1
  4. TheLeader

This. Until you have all tried this, you really don't understand how mines could be fixed. IF you're using mines like C4, then mines are broken. I'm sorry.
  5. TheLeader

Except we are looking at something that is broken now, that people refuse to admit because they enjoy blowing up sundies with 2 mines.
  6. makrome

Brains are even more powerful than all the rest, they should nerf them.

..... oh, wait, it seems they did already
  7. Skippytjc

One single C4 kills my Sundy, happens to me at least once a play session. That's a little OP.

Contrast that against the fact that a magrider can take 7-8 anti armor rockets before blowing up it seems silly (assuming you can hit the thing, it can strafe for petes sake, talk about OP!)
  8. Inzababa

remind me what's broken about it plz?
  9. LameFox

I don't see nearly as many people attempt it with C4. I'm assuming the need to survive to detonate it is a factor, though you can't really get rid of it either, which is a bit bizarre. Since he won't get credit for someone else hitting it though I guess mines are easier.

It drives me mental gunning on a G30 or something for a tank, and seeing a guy with a flash kamikaze-ing a sunderer, since I can't seem to convince drivers to just TK the people there in order to kill him with the cannon. Maybe I'm alone in that but they're going to ******* explode either way...
  10. Ranik

Thank you for proving my point. o_O

We KNOW The old system actually works better. PS1 saw CE used constantly in bases or even out in the field.

But now since mines are so strong they have to be limited. And they are essentially used as C4.

Combat engineering is an extremely limited and boring affair in PS2.

Easy as hell changes: (Numbers approximate)

Mine max deploy # = x3

Mine deploy range = 3-5m depending on mine strength

Mine cost = 1/3 - 1/2

Mine damage = 1/2

Mineguard Strength turned into = 15/20/25/30
  11. Autarkis

I certed into Mineguard 4 and mines are a non-issue for me now. They are a non-factor.
  12. Cougarbrit

Something that has a hard a counter as mines do isn't broken. A better thing to complain about would be C4, as they take 3 C4 to blow up even the most well certed Sundy.

Just because something is extremely powerful to the point it forces you into a certain tactic doesn't mean it's unbalanced when that tactic will completely shut them down. In other games like this such tactics will generally will you the game, to put it in terms from another game, let's say Irelia from LoL (in earlier patches ofc), if she does well enough in the early game she will proceed to make your entire team cry as she 1v5s you all, but if you crapped on her early game she was basically a worthless addition to the team and her advantages were completely negated.

I have no idea if that is a good analogy or not but I'm hungry and want my dinner.
  13. Ranik

And now Mineguard is the mandatory defensive upgrade for vehicles. Don't bother with any of the other upgrades. Which is part of the problem suicide miners never want to admit.

Some people just want to pad their K/D, regardless of making the gameplay more fair, diverse and fun.
    • Up x 1
  14. TheLeader

So why are you dead set on mines being as they are now? why can't people be open to having MORE mines, with less power?
  15. Autarkis

This is a blatant lie. A single C4 can't blow up anything but a Flash.
  16. Autarkis

Mandatory for AMS Sunderers, yes. It's not the best choice for most other vehicles and configs because those vehicles will rarely encounter mines and almost never have an Engineer chase them - unless they're incredibly careless.
  17. Bloodlet

Mines are fine.
  18. BalogDerStout

Oh look, this thread again.

QQ

L2Minguard, defend your sundy.

We're done here.
  19. CigarDude

Solution

Drive off road away from obvious places people put mines.
    Cert into the mineguard.
    Quit whingeing and actually use your brain.
  20. Skippytjc

Ill video it next time i can and post it here.