internet question

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by rockhead101, May 7, 2020.

1. rockhead101

I'm currently getting around 200MPS download, which I feel is pretty good. What are the speeds everyone else is getting. Does the new 5G increase performance? Lag is still an issue as I get killed by people that aren't looking at me on my screen. Is it worth it to upgrade to fiber? Or some other faster than comcast method.
  2. TRspy007

YES

That said, Planetside 2 is a client based game, so it's not just your ping that matters, it's the others as well. You will still die to the lag of others.

However, in general fiber optics is really worth the upgrade. I would look into that, if you have the funds for it.

They are working on something called Li-Fi which from what I've read sounds like a miracle, but unfortunately I doubt we'll see anything for the consumer regarding that method for quite some time, so for now Fiber Optics would be the best route for gaming to replace Ethernet (newer generation Ethernet cables can actually bring speeds close to fiber optics, but fiber optics is faster overall).

5G is another story, it can actually be slower than Wi-Fi in some cases, and has a shorter range. Not really good if you're going to be gaming anyways (since you use cables instead of antenna for better speeds) , and overall I wouldn't say it's much of an importance to switch to 5G.
  3. icufos

Yes.
    I have 385mps on a Virgin HUB3. The HUB3 is frankly not cutting it at present.
    We have 3x devices on it at present, sometimes 4.
    HUB4 hopefully will iron out the probs.
    Planetside 2 is the best performing 'fps' for me overall.
    I play Titanfall 2 which seems to stress the modem after about 6/7 games. It plays catchup.
    COD MP is a waste of time.
    Overwatch is okish.
    Minecraft sometimes lags badly.
    Just go for 'more' always.;)
  4. ObiVanuKenobi

Anything above ~10 mbps is irrelevant for this game.
    Low latency and stability are more important.
    Cable connection will give you exactly that so fiber is a much better choice than 5g or 4g wireless internet.
  5. changeusdtoreal

Download speed will only help you with downloading updates faster. 5G is a meme, governments should first properly work out the 4G grid, what do you even need 5G for, 4 is enough. If other people lag behind or even use lagswitches you will still die behind covers even with a perfect connection. Download speed and latency are different things. Personnally I use my unlimited mobile data plan with 1Mbit up and download per sec for everything online, don't even have a DSL connection at home, since I don't need it anymore. Yes downloading 10 GB will take a day, but I rarely do that, last large file I downloaded was PS2, the bastion update made me interested in this game again. I have around 50 ping and 70 server latency in game with my current data plan. Just enable the tether function of my mobile and use it as internet router on my PC via USB. Again, download speed and latency are different things, this game doesn't need more than 1Mbit/s. As a tip, enable 4G only function when you do this, some mobiles don't come with this function by default, you've to root or use a registry editior maybe, I had to. If I use the 3G connection my ping increases to maybe 90-100