[Suggestion] Infiltrator Hacking Idea For XP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JaxsonFive, Jan 24, 2013.

1. JaxsonFive

Playing as an infiltrator has its draw backs at least when gaining XP. It's not as high as engys or medics but with a simple fix it can keep up.

Suggestion:

Make it so that the terminals the infiltrator has hacked give XP for any teammate that uses it.
  2. Wibin

Hacking is really silly

You can only hack X items before they don't give XP.
    But then, you barely get any XP for the hacks.

So, i'll hack a turret to blow up other turrets, cause its 30 xp vs 100 xp.

That is a neat idea though.
  3. Linc

Why not add more things to hack? Like base shields or auto-defenses or something?
    • Up x 2
  4. NCf00

Hacking does need greater rewards - especially since you're essentially vulnerable, as the weakest class too. It also needs the XP limiter lifted on hacking.
    • Up x 1
  5. Sowahka

No, what hacking needs is a minigame! Depending on how fast you complete the game you'll get a bonus exp reward, and of course hack the item faster!
  6. Vaphell

true that. Engineers have dozens of things to repair (both static defenses and the whole fleet of mech) after assault, at least 100xp a pop, no question asked. No exp after 5 or so hacks is a sad joke and that's assuming there is anything left to hack during the assault.

People destroy terminals for that puny exp they give - my idea to discourage thoughtless vandalism: remove xp for destroyed terminals altogether so the terminals survive more often.
    I see the point in destroying them to deny enemy access when the action is tight, but when you have the advantage and access to terminals would empower your side even more, some moron has to go all 'gimme 25xp!!!' and there is nothing to hack anymore. You've got to be kidding me -_-
  7. Disciple002

I understand this thread is mainly about experience gained through infiltrators hacking, but I would like to take the opportunity to share a perspective on the matter of hacking.

Hacking IS really silly.

Here is the problem: If you leave a facility with active (repaired) terminals or turrets you're basically shooting yourself in the leg. You are far safer to destroy the terminals after use, which I believe is really silly.

As an example, in the VS defense against being fully warpgated on Indar, we would go to Arc Bioengineering and make sure the vehicle terminal is destroyed. One little hack is all it takes to spawn a sunderer and in 30 seconds have a hundred guys behind our lines capping another territory.

I love the Sunderer AMS. I love drop pods from instant action or squad spawn beacons. What I don't like at all is being punished for leaving what I just used to spawn my vehicle, or change my class, or to resupply my soldier because it was left active, or repaired innocently by a newby, or at the worst repaired by an engineer fighting for their empire who has created characters for both sides.

Hacking should only disable the use of terminals or turrets, and not allow the faction which hacked it to make use of it.

Too much power is given to hacking as of now, and the only feasible defense against such an assault is really cheesy.
    • Up x 2
  8. Vaphell

in this more abstract scope you are absolutely right. One time i molested 2 guys with heavy use of betties and few headshots but the party stopped when they had enough and destroyed the only inf terminal i had access to (no betties=no fun against any other class). My realisation was 'why on earth would you want to have a freely accessible terminals in your base?' and that the whole mechanic is sort of make-believe and works only because you will always find some engineer who wants that repair exp.

Disabling might work but i think at least infidel himself needs to be able to still use them. Restocking behind enemy lines would be impossible which would reduce utility of already crippled infidels even further.

Maybe hacking modes?
    - disable for X time
    - damage the device so it zaps the enemy trying to use it for X dmg
    - hack it to act as a short range scanner
  9. JaxsonFive

I don't see any problem with disabling and that is probably the more reasonable suggestion in your response. Hacking is far from silly and many times over looked. What you've described was a tactic that surprisingly not too many people employ. How many times have I started to cap one of the spawn satellites but get overrun by a bigger squad with no respawn. Having that infiltrator softens things up.

Currently the problem is more back capping than infiltrators using their tools for strategic means. Infiltrators don't possess the need but only an option. There needs to be greater reward in doing it. Sure fix the back capping by making it more disable mode, I don't care. Just give us the option with some incentives.
    • Up x 1
  10. JaxsonFive

11. Hosp

They did this in PS1. The terms stayed hacked for 10-15mins (not sure), anyone who scored kills after using that term built up a bit of support xp which was payed out in a lump sum at the end of 15mins. (many support functions did that. repairing and healing included). So it wasn't impossible, at the end of 15 mins, that a dedicated engineer, hacker or medic to get a 3k+ payout of XP if the battle was big enough.

This would need to b tweaked for PS2 obviously but it's an idea that I wouldn't mind seeing re-implemented rather than just adding more XP per tick for support functions.
  12. KAHR-Alpha

As a part-time infiltrator, I couldn't agree more, once you spend a few certs in the hacking capability, then hacking all the turrets of an enemy amp station is just too easy and quick.

PS: of course, once you've done that with a single guy, gaining air superiority is just a breeze.
    • Up x 1
  13. JaxsonFive

Strange how they wouldn't reintroduce it back into the game. Infiltrators need some love. It's bad enough that we get pwned at mid-long range by incredibly accurate rifles. That rant is for another time.
  14. Hosp

Forgot, even transport pilots/drivers got that same type of XP for passengers they dropped off then scored kills.