Don't take this the wrong way, but...

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Lazaruz, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Lazaruz

It's been almost 8 months since the release of Planetside 2, and the game client still isn't stable. I'm not a coder or anything, nor do I pretend to know the first thing about making games, but I think having a game client that doesn't randomly crash to desktop multiple times a day is fairly important if you want to be considered an AAA title.

While watching the MLG Anaheim streams a couple weeks ago, I personally as a Planetside 2 player felt embarrassed when I saw the game crashing over and over during their streams. I can't begin to imagine how the dev/tech team doing the streaming was feeling...
    There isn't much more that I can say, only to ask that you keep working on the issue, as I'm sure you are. But the results could be a little more encouraging considering how much time has gone by since launch.
  2. Irathi

I'm not going to say they don't have a clue what is wrong with it, but I think maybe they are not entirely certain what needs fixing first.

My game never crashes except sometimes upon exiting to windows. I do not experience fps drops, the fps stays at 40+ in most fights and sometimes in really heavy fights it drop to 30-40. Funny thing is ever since beta I've crashed maybe a total of 5-6 times in game which I suspect could easily be because I've had an experimental OC on at the time.

So it is not like everyone has a problem with crashing, but many enough does, so it's a big problem indeed. I just don't know if they've been able to isolate the problem yet. It is especially difficult if they never experience the crashing first hand.

Totally agree they should have had this stable 5-6 months ago. 2-3 months of unstable gameplay is not unusual, but anything above is extremely long.

My best guess is that they will implement features and keep the game alive until the new console version is out. Then patch the pc version with the new one. Resources anyway stays with developing for PS4 and the Xbox.
  3. raw

I don't have any crashes either, except when I exit PS2.
  4. Buzzcut

I haven't experienced that many crashes since beta myself, although like others I do get the "not working" when I exit sometimes.

I do agree thought that the game should be far better optimised than it is, only recently have I started experiencing the occasional big frame drop (a few seconds at 2-4 frames, seems to happen in the south-east corner of Indar around Rashnu).

I have had far more crashes when I have fiddled about with overclocking however, so the stability problem may be at the op's end, or more likely it could be that certain hardware/gfx cards/driver combos cause the game problems.
  5. Dovahkiin

As of right now, the "optimization" may as well be non existant. If high end machines can't stay over 60fps most of the time, then you know for sure something is very wrong.

Sure they claim that the servers can hold a max of 2000 people, but we all know that's bs as there is huge server lag when a lot of people are playing simultaneously.

The optimization will be coming along with the release of the PS4 version. It's suprising what a money-making oppurtunity can make a dev do. 8 months we waited and the devs barely optimized the game. 8 months we bought there bull**** OP items that got nerfed into uselessness in later days. 8 months we put up with **** frame rates and bugs. 8 months we dealed with 11 failures of Game Updates, each one breaking more than it solved. Then suddenly, a PS4 appears and the devs get serious?

PS2 is like an abusive ex-boyfriend. It treats you like **** but you keep coming back to it.
  6. Lazaruz

6 threads about game crashing on the front page of this sub-forum at the time of posting this. I know Rome wasn't built in a day, but this is starting to feel like beating a dead horse... Don't get me wrong, I've had long periods between game updates during which I haven't crashed at all, but the issue still pops up far too often in my opinion. I mean, what are the chances for an average user like me to run the game properly, if the devs themselves are experiencing these problems on official promo events.

Played Planetside 2 for almost a year now, was in on the first day of beta, and have supported the development with my fair share of SmedBucks. Just feeling a bit frustrated at the moment, that's all :)
  7. Zaythin

I haven't had any problems, except rare occasional crashing after logging out, but since GU10, within the first 5mins of being in game..crash to desktop....log back in....play for about 20mins...crash to desktop...on the third log in, i'll be able to play for a few hours with no problem or it will be an hour and then...crash to desktop. I'm in the IT field and I'm **** about how my system is setup and runs, I know it's not my system. I run ultra with a steady 40fps no matter what is going on ie; amp, tech, bio fights...no problem. except...bam!!...desktop..... mutha***** I was just about to shoot that tr in the face!!!