Diary of a rookie medic (written in 1st person point of view)

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by Dictatorfish, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Dictatorfish

Following the evacuation of Earth and my lengthy time spent in cryo-sleep, my cryo-chamber has crash landed on a strange, otherwise very Earth-like planet the natives call Auraxis. My first days here have been tough and I have been forced to live off the charity of others. I have been told that Google Inc., the corporate front of the Commonwealth's intelligence gathering division, was long destroyed during the global government's overthrowing by what is now known as the Terran Republic. As a result, I have lost all of my Google Docs, including nearly all forms of identification and proofs of address. I was able to trade my Agenda Points and Conquest Tokens in exchange for fake ID as the date of birth on my driving licence indicates that I am over 300 years old. The licence was also expired. That could have attract unwanted attention from the natives.

Having no work permit, only basic identification and no residence, I apply for the only respectable work available: military. I sign myself up at the nearest output and, there, I am given a warm greeting by a tanned gentleman in purple armour before being guided into a small room. Once indoor, I am handed a rifle, some ammunition and a blindfold. As instructed, I put on my blindfold and I hear the doors shutting behind me. The room suddenly shudders violently and I tear off my blindfold. I am trapped in the small room, the violent shaking making standing difficult. I lean against the wall for support. A large, holographic display appears, showing some sort of map, and an assuring, male voice makes some sort of announcement through hidden speakers. Unfortunately, the loud rattling and constant roar makes it impossible to hear. The display changes to a video hurtling towards the ground at terrifying speed. It doesn't take me long to realise that I am in a drop pod and this video is a live feed, as well as all the information I will get regarding my current predicament.

The drop pod punches into the ground. The apparently one-time-use drop pod crumples and explodes outwards due to the force of the impact, metal and debris fly in all directions. I somehow manage to stay on my feet. Disorientated and dropped right into the middle of a warzone without any basic training, I am immediately blown up by the nearest blue tank.

The next thing I know, I am alive and well - with all my new equipment intact - at what I am told is a "warpgate", a futuristic (or, rather, present day) equivalent of an airport used for transporting personnel and materials across and between whole continents instantly. How marvellous.

I spend some time finding out what exactly is going on around here. The planet of Auraxis appears to be in a state of a three-way civil war, a most fortunate situation for a military man such as myself. I have found myself sided with the Vanu Sovereignty, who's philosophy is the search, research and utilisation of non-human technology. We are at war with:
    the Terran Republic for reasons including genocide, mass murder, destruction of Vanu technology, torture, excessive use of red, ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity
    the New Conglomerate for reasons including genocide, mass murder, destruction of Vanu technology, torture, excessive use of blue, ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity.

I am most delighted to find that, even in this day and age, combat medics are still required. However, having now had some combat experience, there are some things I am still yet to adapt to. Back during my days of fighting between the Allied Revolutionary Militia and the Commonwealth, our standard issue Bio-Feedback Beams had a range of approx 4m. By comparison, the standard issue Medical Applicator am I provided feels as though it has the range of approximately minus 8cm, requiring me to practically plunge the device directly into the patient in order for it to do its work. Due to its extreme short range, I am constantly aware of the need to pull the device out of the patient at the last, possible moment lest the wound fully heal while my tool is still within the patient, grafting him or herself to the apparatus. I feel this is a significant design flaw although the boffins have assured me that, once sufficiently upgraded, I will no longer have to worry about losing valuable medical equipment in this way.

I am also paid for my services in "Certification Points", not unlike the Tokens I have had experience with before during my days on Earth 300 years ago. Nearing the end of my first day of combat, I was able to purchase a splendid little device known as the "HS/NV scope". I assume that the "NV" is an abbreviation for "Night Vision" however I have yet to meet someone who can kindly explain to me what the "HS" stands for. In any case, I am most impressed with this device: it appears to a standard white-hot night vision scope that also outlines physical objects and works just as well in the day. I must say that it has made my life as a Vanu combat medic oh so much more satisfying. I am provided a counter that provides statistics of my military career and prior to my purchase of the HS/NV scope my kills to death ratio was 0.5. In the little time I spent in the field after this purchase, my kills to death ratio had very quickly increased to just over 0.8. I am confident and overjoyed to say that my improvement has been mostly, if not entirely, down to this little gizmo.

In addition to the new scope, I have also been able to upgrade my armour so that it will survive for 10% longer. Now utterly spent, my next goal to upgrade this Medical Applicator. My current situation of having to stand out in the open in order to help a compatriot makes me feel awfully vulnerable. Being able to provide medical aid from the safety of cover would be a most welcome return.

As this is my first entry, it may well be far longer than those in the near future. So much to learn, so much to do. Until next time, cheerio.

[Note: Obviously I don't actually speak nor write like this normally, I just did it because... well, because. I am a completely newb, so any and all advice would be very welcome. Many thanks! :) ]
    • Up x 3
  2. h1perkarma

I enjoyed it, keen to read some more. But may I say "PURPLE ARMOR? VANU SCUM!"
    • Up x 1
  3. Joust

Go to gamestop, buy the 1500 SC card (and get a free NS-11A) for $15, buy camo and never look back. I wouldn't spend all your certs investing in a stock gun.
  4. SirBurning

Get your med tool to level 5 asap. Tired of medic's reviving me with 25 % health :)
  5. Trysaeder

Save it for a double SC event where you'll get more SC for your money. Buy the card, but don't use the code until the even is active.
  6. Captain Sandwich

I disagree, the Pulsar is one of the strongest weapons in the entire game. It's strong and versatile. For long range engagements the Equinox: Burst Fire is the way to go.

I wouldn't recommend camo either, it just makes it harder for your team mates to recognize you as a friend. A helmet to distinguish you as a medic wouldn't hurt, though.
  7. Dictatorfish

@h1perkarma: Many thanks, much appreciated. =]
    @Joust et al: In the UK there is no GameSpot so no NS-11 for me. In any case, the stock rifle feels like a completely different gun to stock rifle + HSNV scope and, so far, it's been serving me well.
    @SirBurning: Oh, I am aiming to get the Medical Applicator to full spec ASAP. More for the extended range, and the reviving health is a bonus.

---

My second day as a field medic for the armies of the Vanu Sovereignty were most delightful. It took a little bit of time for me to get back into the swing of things and no longer having a jetpack to get myself from point A to B does rather make the trek from output to the fight a bit dull. No matter, I am beginning to get the hang of these ground-based vehicles, although I do find them rather unsporting as opposed to man-to-man fisticuffs, albeit fisticuffs with guns. Flying is something I am having slight difficulty with - I appear to have a natural tendency to make involuntarily attempts at landing the flying machine upside down with explosive results the moment it leaves the ground. I will leave the flying to the experts for now.

I participated in two great battles of particular note: the first being a lengthy night siege against a New Conglomerate held factory of sorts. The enemy fought long, hard and nobly, but our forces eventually prevailed. I, along with several rocket launcher wielding heavy assaults and sniper rifle equipped inflitrators, held the enemy locked in their positions throughout the night. Several times they attempted to rally and force us back with heavy armour and artillery but - despite catching the unfortunate tank shell and requiring medical aid get back to their feet on many-an-occasion - our heavy assaults managed rather well and held them off. Several times our enemy sent light assaults and infiltrators to flank us, but I had my HS/NV scope at the ready and our snipers were able to deal with the rabble with little trouble. After many hours of hard struggle, our forces eventually breached the enemy from the behind and, penetrated deep from the rear and unable to organise any effective counter, our opponents finally succumbed to our ever mounting pressure.

So heavy and drawn out was the siege, I was able to afford to upgrade my Medical Applicator not once but twice over the course of this single battle. The newly improved Medical Applicator served a great deal in our final push, which I have found myself calling Patsy with affection. Despite a great deal of casualties, being able to revive my fellow soldiers from the safety of cover over and over again, we did not suffer a single loss and were never at any risk of being pushed back. I had great pleasure in imagining the frustrations the New Conglomerate forces must have felt seeing this neverending tide of purple - despite being no more than a dozen strong - and I was very much reminded of a song that went something along the lines of "I am most glad for I am finally returning home" but I forget the lyrics. I must admit, I was humming the tune to myself with a great deal of satisfaction as I busied myself with patching up the lads.

The second noteworthy battle came just after afternoon tea. Having left my previous squad, I made a push for a large Terran Republic held facility known as a "Tech Lab", although it was vastly different from the Tech Labs I am used to. Upon my arrival, I found that a tank column ready in place to storm the complex. The first half of the battle was another long, drawn out siege. Unfortunately, this mostly involved our armoured vehicles blasting at one another for extended periods of time with no real progress from either side. I was kept busy patching up our infantry who had the misfortune of being run over by our own tanks - I am told that this is an exceptionally frequent occurrence, even when no fighting is taking place. I find this rather disappointing; the driving skills of many of these "drivers" leaves much to be desired.

Despite the uneventful start, this particular battle is especially noteworthy to myself as I was part of a small group who led the charge on the southern gate. On seeing the little progress being made - both sides seemingly content to continue shelling one another from afar with no real desire to make the first move - and having little to do as a medic but to wait for someone to injure themselves, I notice that there was a slight gap on either side of the gate shield just small enough for a man to squeeze through. Looking around to see nothing particularly exciting was happen, I check my rifle and make a charge for the gap. A Republican engineer's head pops up to see where I was going, a few well placed shots sends the scoundrel scurrying. As I dive into cover and prepare myself, several of my own men have followed me and fling themselves into cover beside me. We were now half-a-dozen strong, jolly good. A bit of patching up for those who were nicked by fire along the way and final check of our weapons, we charge into the gap.

We sprint into the complex, not stopping for man, gun or machine until we are in the safety of cover. I run into the stairway, an entrance to the complex outerwalls. Unfortunately, the rest of my little group have taken cover against the wall of the building at the foot of the stairs. Even more unfortunately for me, I my haste I have failed to notice a rather cunning infiltrator. My rifle snaps in his direction the moment I feel the first shot land against my side and we proceeded to unload our entire clips into one another, darting and ducking to gain the advantage. I almost had the blighter but I was too slow on the draw of my pistol and was gunned down by his own. It was incredibly fortunate that a medic had overheard the commotion and finished off the stealthy fiend before reviving me.

The rest of the battle was pleasant and smooth sailing. We made our way along the south-east wall, rather easily overrunning any form of resistance. A number of times our lads would be wiped out by grenade attacks, only to be revived and ready for the fight seconds later. Again, the extra reach of Patsy makes my life incredibly easy in comparison to yesterday's regular gauntlets. Once we managed to secure a building opposite their respawning chambers, with two medics working together, it was impossible for the enemy to remove us. It wasn't long before we were receiving reports over the radio that many of our forces had secured critical areas in and around the facility. After the brief, inevitable final, desperate charge by the enemy, the facility was ours. Job's a good 'un.

Just as night fell, we had pushed the Terran Republic as far back as we feasibly could. I found a ragged rock and slumped my by now exhausted self against it. Enjoying a break from all the fighting, I sat back, lit my pipe and watched the serene marvel of the huge, shimmering dome shield of the Republican warpgate.

It was dry and pleasant night, and so very peaceful. Muted sounds were all that filled the air. The drifting whisper of the wind. The light crackle of the tobacco in my pipe. The quiet hum of Patsy in her holster. The gentle, regular thumps of distant artillery. The whistle of shells raining death and destruction upon our enemies. The subtle dusk chorus of the native birds...

It has been a good day.

---

Current stats:
    Kills: 44
    Assists: 64
    Death: 70
    K/D: 0.629
    Score: 25338
    Certifications: 116
    Medals: 1

Upgrades/equipment to date:
    HS/NV scope for Pulsar
    Nanoweave armour 1
    Medical Applicator 2 (new)
    Medical Applicator 3 (new)

Next 3 upgrades:
    Medical Applicator 4: 6 certs to go
    Medical Applicator 5: 56 certs to go
    Medical Applicator 6: 25 certs to go
    • Up x 2
  8. HairyButts

quite enjoyable. I hope there are more events to come.