Demolition Oriented Engineer ?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Targanwolf, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Targanwolf

Any of you specialize in the instant death of AP, C-4 & AT Mines ?

Yes I resupply....and repair.....but "my thing" is the instant death of explosives. AT & AP & C-4
    Any of you have this play style ?

If so ...please detail.
  2. MrMinistry30

Depends on the situation but yes, i have several "destruction loadouts"

"Driver/Vehicle gunner"
    Archer
    (mostly Commi)
    AT Mines (5x)
    AV Turret

"Anti infantry"
    CQC Carbine
    Commi
    Stickys (4x)
    AP Mines (2x)
    AI Turret

"all purpose" (but mostly blowing up deployed sundys)
    CQC Carbine
    explosive crossbow
    AT Mines (5x) or C4Arx (4x)
    AV Turret

They all require massive amounts of nanites but it pays off :) Generally, i don't think engies are made for long fighting. When i play engi i blow up as much stuff as i can until i run out of ressources and then i switch class.
  3. Targanwolf

How do u use the stickys..as detonators ?
  4. MrMinistry30

Yes, when i don't have enough time, otherwise i mostly use sidearms for detonating the mines. Stickys are great overall (even after their nerf). Most fun is actually spamming them with the infantry loadout :D
  5. MrMinistry30

Sadly, i had frag grenades equipted for a long time while i already had the stickys. I just did not recognize it and one day i wondered why my "stickys" didn't stick to anything... This is why i have 1800 kills with frags and only 450 with stickys.
  6. FeralBoy

I spent most of my time when I first began playing PS2 as a lone wolf Combat Engineer and AI mine Infiltrator mainly out of necessity. Until I found a webpage on how to tweak PS2 settings to maximize fps I could not participate in large fights. My spud-like laptop would get crushing unplayable frame rates of 10-13fps or even less.

That said I greatly enjoy playing a Combat Engineer. I typically run two loadouts per each primary weapon currently in use. I designate them my AV and AI loadouts. I mostly use 2X and 1X scopes as well. So say I was using the LC3 Jaguar my loadouts and titles for them would be:

2X Jag AV
    2X scoped Jaguar as Primary
    2X Hunter QCX w/Explosive Bolts as Secondary
    AV Mana turret
    Utility Pouch (now called Explosives Pouch??) for 5 AV mines total
    1 Frag or Sticky, a non-issue on this loadout for me
    Regeneration 4 implant even though I never use it lol...

1X Jag AI
    1X scoped Jaguar as Primary
    1X Commissioner as Secondary
    AI Mana turret (depending on each fight I will substitute the Spitfire here at times)
    Utility Pouch (now called Explosives Pouch??) for 3 AI mines total
    1 Sticky grenade
    Regeneration 4 implant even though I never use it lol...

Those are my typical loadouts for each weapon. However I now have a specific loadout when piloting most vehicles:
    EOD HUD3 Driver
    2X scoped Jaguar as Primary
    2X Hunter QCX w/Explosive Bolts as Secondary
    AV Mana turret
    Demolitions Pouch for 4 bricks of C4 total
    1 Sticky grenade
    EOD HUD3 implant which I do use occasionally

I do have a Sticky grenade loadout incorporating the Grenade Bandolier but it doesn't ever get used. Yet.
    I also have 12X AI and 6X AV Archer loadouts but I use the Archer so infrequently anymore I'll leave that to people who use it far more often.

I think as long you generally marry the AV Mana turret with AV mines and the AI Mana turret with AI proxies you will have a good, simplistic, and efficient starting point. They are very synergistic together but there are also no hard and fast rules. And since we can finally place all 3 turret types you can mix and match even more.

Quite often in very hairy, intense base defenses I will end up using all 3 explosive and turret types anyway to help with point control/base defense.
    Best of luck. ;)
    • Up x 1
  7. Targanwolf

Thank You !

A couple of questions.
    -Why the hunter w/explosive bolts ? (are explosive bolts that significant ? )
    -Where an I find what you found to improve my fps. Like you in the past,I need to find ways to improve my FPS. Any help would be most appreciated.
    -Do you use the sticky to ignite your AV mines or in other ways ?
  8. FeralBoy

In answer to your 3 questions-
    1) I use the Hunter QCX w/Explosive Bolts for my AV and EOD HUD3 Driver loadouts mainly as a backup fail safe to finish off any vehicles that may be burning when I'm out of mines or C4 and I need to run from enemy fire and cannot take the time to finish them off with the AV Mana turret. (So yes, in the sense of finishing off burning vehicles Explosive Bolts are extremely significant) I also occasionally hunt active HIVE cores in a Harrasser with my HUD3 loadout and also as a Cloaker and the Explosive Bolts make short work of enemy modules, particularly repair modules when you find an unguarded/undefended HIVE core.

2) I will try to find the webpage that was so helpful to me in improving framerates. (As an added and significant benefit it also was the key to me Finally being able to see cloakers). If I cannot find that webpage I did just happen to recently take a screenshot of my current in game graphics settings and I will post that screenshot when I get home.

3) No, I usually detonate my AV mines by shooting them, I only use the Sticky grenade in my AI loadout because I likely am defending against oncoming attackers and I don't want it to bounce away, I want it to stick to them lol.
  9. FeralBoy

[IMG]

Here you go TarganWolf.
    These are the settings that really helped me and my laptop potato out to achieve playable framerates and to also see cloakers. I hope they help you too.
    You can play with the sliders, I did too, but the key if I remember was to make sure the Render Quality slider was at least 80% and the Render Distance slider was recommended down around 1000 meters I believe. The dropdowns on the right are unchanged from what was recommended.
  10. Targanwolf

What would you consider a good FPS ?
    What about a very good FPS ?
  11. FeralBoy

I won't get specific on numbers but as long as the game isn't choppy or jerky and runs smoothly in large fights I would consider that successful. (good)
    In general if your frames per second are equal to or greater than the refresh rate of your monitor you'll be in good shape.
    That being said I would love to own a monitor with a refresh rate of 120hz and a machine capable of pushing 120+ fps. (very good) ;)
  12. Targanwolf

Ahh...thanks !
  13. IroncladBomber

I have C4, AT Mines, Claymores, and Arx C4 all Arxed. Demolition is my mission.
  14. Targanwolf

Seems you use a lot of LIGHT ASSAULT for your demolition work ? What percent is engineer vs LA ?

BTW my engineer (my main character class)orientation is also demolition focused. I'm great with claymores and AT,but need to improve my C-4 "delivery"....a lot .
  15. kr47er

engi needs two tool slots!!
  16. Who Garou

Not sharing the ammo in my bow case.

I do try to always deploy my mines when I'm out and about.
  17. IroncladBomber

75% Engineer and 25% LA/HA
  18. TR5L4Y3R

I'm thinking running

Archer
    hunter with explosives
    Ai turret
    Sticky with grenade bandolier
    avmines ...

or

Archer
    emmisary