C4 vs Tanks WTF?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zenox, Jun 26, 2013.

1. KlyptoK

• Up x 2
  2. deggy

• Up x 1
  3. jak

It's SOE, nobody *really* gets what they want in the end. :)
  4. TheBillOf3D

I mean I've never seen the blast radius fail to do it's damage. They can miss the tank and still destroy it. Or, you can fail and get shot by another tank yet the C4 still goes off and destroys the tank but just gives credit to the other guy. You basically need to be shot by small arms fire once the bricks are down in order to stop it or killed when you move away from your C4. But most are content to suicide on top of it because they just respawn with more C4.
  5. deggy

With the new Esamir walls also on PTS, they might be feeling like tanks need an overall buff. Dunno. People will whine, but they always do.
  6. jak

Ahh, gotcha. The C4 only sticks around until the guy respawns, though, so you often get nothing done if you die before you can set it off.
  7. jak

Well, the game would have been much different (and better) if they restricted spawn jumping, made infantry the only way to cap bases, and everything in-between required vehicular dominance. But...hopes and dreams faded. :(
  8. chrisbeebops

If the C4 isn't attached to the tank, the tank has to be pretty much right on top of or next to the C4 to take damage.

And you don't respawn with more C4. If I plant some C4 and die before I can detonate them, I've then lost those infantry resources. The C4 is removed from the game when I respawn. At 100 a pop for C4 it adds up quickly. Can't even count how many times I've planted 2xC4 or 3xC4 on a vehicle and died while smashing my mouse trying to trigger the detonator.
  9. TheBillOf3D

No. Within a few feet maybe. That's a giant bulls-eye. You can store those resources. You can't do that with vehicles. I keep mine well stocked.

Yes, you can just not re-spawn and tell your buddy to hit it with something to trigger it or wait for an ESF to toss a rocket pod on it. So you lost the resources to count for you but you still got rid of the tank. Hell, if the tank kills you when you are close, the splash will set it off. It's not hard to kill a tank with C4 although it's a little harder to get the credit for it.
  10. jak

One might argue a proficient driver would never be on a timer our out of resources...

True, but I've never done this on any vehicle but sunderers. And I've C4'd a LOT of vehicles.
  11. chrisbeebops

I have no trouble reclaiming mech resources to pull more tanks either. Actually, Infantry resources are the only thing I regularly run short on, between C4, grenades, and MAXes.

Soon as I see someone has planted C4 on my tank, I'm pulling out, detonating it myself, and repairing my tank. So much for your plan. This only works on Sunderers because they are usually stationary (deployed).
  12. Zenox

I'm sorry that doesn't really fly, even if this only happened some of the time it would still be a problem. It's also no good bringing in your experience of it's effective blast on infantry as they seem less susceptible to it distance wise than a tank which is absurd!
  13. TheBillOf3D

Well they need to be able to stay in them long enough to reach proficiency where as anyone can stock C4.

Happens all the time. Look at the people that rage about "4th factions" blowing up their vehicles or maxes. No, most likely a friendly triggered an enemies C4 and inadvertently got the credit. I got C4ed by a friendly max. Funny, maxes don't carry C4.
  14. TheBillOf3D

True, my magrider has never been C4ed. Nobody cares what VS think about C4.
  15. Lurking_Horror

While this is certainly true, what as this got to do with anything ? See, this is your original gem of wisdom that I replied to:

So how often exactly does it happen to you that a LA jumps of a cliff "100's of meters away" and glides over to your tank - with a normal jetpack ? And what kind of medication are you normally on when that happens ?

First you're vastly exaggerating. The pod is clearly visible, the infantrist sometimes is not for one or two seconds. Which is still annoying and should be fixed. However claiming that it is somehow easier to slowly fly up to your tank while invisible and start the rather lengthy process of deploying c4, that it is to quickly run over while equally invisible, drop a few mines (which don't get any delay between them) and then fire a shot - well, that's way beyond ******** really.

Ah, I understand. You don't take infantry having to deal with bullets into the equation because if the LA brings a whole outfit with medics everywhere, lots of sunderers and a bunch of HA with lockon rocket launchers, he won't have to worry about them too much when trying to deal with your tank. I mean it's a TANK he's trying to deal with after all, so it's obviously not too much to ask to bring anything less than an outfit to deal with it. Is that how you do it on your server ? "OMG, a VANGUARD at Ceres Hydroponics! I need at least two platoons there immediatly, 3 sunderers, and don't forget to bring lots of medics!" ? :D

You really don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about, do you ? Well obviously not about the height from which air can kill infantry, or the speed at which a competent pilot can do a strafing run, but I slowly getting the impression it's true for pretty much anything else you talk about too ...

Yes, infantry, tanks, air, they all camp the tower tops, more often than not pretty much simultaneously. Btw thanks for trying to argue my point, but I really don't need your help there seeing how you pretty much derp every argument you're trying to make. For your info, I am never trapped inside a spawn. I always get out to kill and of course, get killed. So the battle is already lost ? Who cares ? If the enemy is attacking a base I'm in, I owe it to them to at least try putting up a fight, and if enough join in, there's always a chance to push back. After all, I expect the same when I'm attacking. I mean how boring would the game be if people only ever fought when they were sure not to lose ?

You probably need to elaborate here. so there's no infantry out - why ? No fight anymore ? So what's the tank doing derping around in that base then where hidden LA opportunists can easily drop down on them ? And trees on Amerish - well, if your biggest worry is some ridiculously patient LA hiding in a tree waiting for some tank to eventually drive by that doesn't immediatly pick him up on thermal while approaching, then tanks are obviously in a much much better state than even I imagined.

Irrelevant. All you have to do is wait to get a new one. Just like infantry has to wait to be able to respawn - because yes, even medic revive is not instant, and all these little breaks do add up, even if that's obviously too much math for your little brain.

Dude, you're losing it. We've already been over this, a tank is a high priority target, but most players will still go after the more easily farmed infantry first, that can't instagib them quite as easily as the tank can either.

Your render distance argument ? Ok, you asked for it, let me dig that up again ...

I ignored this little gem because I really didn't want to emberass you over such an obvious stupid mistake. But since you asked so nicely, yes, if you really have a problem with infantry SUDDENLY appearing OUT OF NOWHERE 100m away from your tank ... no, it's hopeless, I won't bother going any further here.

If you are able to do 40-80 kill streaks, but can't a somewhat steady supply of recources, you have noone to blame but yourself. And alternating pulling tanks with your gunner makes this a pretty trivial exercise. If I can do this in a pretty casually organized outfit, you should have no problem at all in your elite tanker squadron.

5 Minutes ? Dude, your map, learn to use it! Sure, if you insist driving from tawrich to assist your platoon at saurva. But surprise, if I decide to run to the crown from my warpgate, it will take even longer. But that's all just general stupidity and not an argument. And if by now you still fail so hard to understand that a lot of people will always pick on the easiest target first, which is the infantry, I don't know how else I can explain it to you so you don't forget it again right after acknowledging it. Well, maybe .... HHHEEEEEEEELOOOOOHOOOOO! ANYBODY HOME ? You forgot the INFILTRATORS! SNIPERSNIPERSNIPER!!! HEADSHOT!!! Ring a bell ? Remember now ? That class specifically designed to single out lonely infantry ? Or was it just that you once more ssumed that a flanking LA should never leave base without at least 3 sunderers and a squad of medics ? (And before you start again: I'm not complaining about being singled out. I'm perfectly fine with being sniped. I'm not fine with you pretending it doesn't happen :) )

Yes. And you responded with, let me quote it yet another time, since your memory seems to be too leaky to even remember whyt you yourself said just 2 posts ago:

So you pretty much accused me of suggesting you should not be stopping when I actually never suggested this. Which you do realize (quoting you once more to keep your brain from overheating):

But you keep on arguing anyway, just unable to admit that you just made a mistake there, didn't read carefully, or just didn't think what it was that you were actually posting there. Well, no matter what your problem really is, I hope you'll be able to sort it out and get well soon, and with that, I'll just let it rest.

:rolleyes: Yeah. Sure dude, whatever you say. I'll be back with you when you're able to make sense again :p

Well, that's certainly your opinion. I'll rather keep mine. No use to argue why it happened, it's long past anyway.

That's just oversimplification. There sure was a flaw, but not what your stating there. But again, it's useless to argue about now.

There's nothing wrong with infantry having a high risk, high effort means to solo an mbt. Look, even this guy here agrees with me:

So if you still want to argue, you should probably take the issue up with him.

10 times ? Sounds about right. Maybe a little longer sometimes, but not on average, unless you're just lonewolfing and leeroying. And with that we'd be pretty equal, because Infantry will easily have 10 times more breaks than you in your tank. Ad for your breaks to last 100 times longer, you'd have to suck pretty hardcore, and this discussion is about supposedly bad game mechanics, not about definitly bad players.

Well, sure, if that's how you feel, I really feel sorry for you. I still hope you'll improve your attitude given some time. Seeing as you claim you are already ok with getting 'instagibbed' by a buch of synchronised lockon rockets from a bunch of HAs, guess there's still hope.

Yeah, wow indeed. Must be some seriously bad FPS you're getting if you in a tank are inferior to an infantry player in open field. I mean that is surely what you mean when you say infantry is more deadly than tanks, right ? Is it any specific class you get owned by in open field combat, or is it all of them as long as they are on foot ?
    Or is this the the usualy argument, wher YOU of course are a special snowflake that roxxorpnzorz every infantry out there, but just in general, infantry are still more deadly anyway, just not more deadly than you, and surely not more deadly than your friends, or your outfit, because those also just rock too hard, but, well, more deadly than ... someone.
    Is that your argument ?

And as for court yards - again read, think, then reply. With the proper numbers involved, combined arms has a clear advantage over pure infantry, especially in a courtyard. Which implies that tanks cannot be strictly inferior to infantry even there.

Well, try. Feel free to waste your time any way you want. If you manage to make c4 useless, well, I'll just hop in my fully certed tank and roflfarm infantry with impunity too. It won't last long in that case until tanks will receive their next nerf. The only way for a lasting c4 nerf is when tanks get restricted to open field combat away from infantry playgrounds by dome shields. Not something I'd consider a good idea, but I guess we'll just have to see.
  16. Zenox

If you miss the tank you shouldn't be able to do any damage full stop as quite frankly you missed. The fact than 3.5 meters + will still net you a kill is stupid and I notice how quiet the C4 advocates have gone about that.
  17. jak

So we should make balance changes to mitigate the learning curve for situation awareness...

All the time is kind of a stretch. If by 4th faction you mean friendlies C4ing friendlies...why is this a C4 problem? I can take a rocket launcher and kill your half dead tank from behind. Or shoot you from 500m with a friendly mana turret. If you're advocating friendly fire shouldn't set off C4, I'm fine with that.
  18. jak

You missed the point, which was vehicles and infantry both display a common behavior of avoiding damage they should be taking at times. Hence why a test in the VR does not entirely encompass the "real world" impact. You can take the infantry reference out, it was simply an inclusion of a larger issue.
  19. TheBillOf3D

No you should be obtuse as hell and work hard to miss the point. Oh wait... You accomplished that. You can't stock your timers or vehicles.

[/quote]
    Reread what I wrote rather than have me copy and paste because you didn't read it the first time. The people that cry about friendlies purposely blowing them up usually don't understand what actually happened. I even posted a "PSA" about that.
  20. jak

Considering you can't make your argument without resorting to an insulting tone, I think we're done here.