c4 vs fully certed MBT

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DQCraze, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Nano(zip/zap)

Why they are not anti-armor units why should they have special anti-tank weapon.
  2. dsty

its workng as intended don't tunnel vision and you will not get c4'd as much
    • Up x 1
  3. Rovertoo

They are mobile brother of the Heavy Assault, they should be able to pick the same targets but execute them with a different playstyle. Currently they aren't anything units, or else the organized platoons would actually use them. LA needs a set of AI/AA/AV grenade launchers (or something like it) just like the HA's AI/AA/AV Rocket Launchers.
    • Up x 1
  4. Dieter Perras

I think the only units in the game that don't have to worry about instant death are the galaxy and the liberator. So why do you MBTs get to get out of the fun?
  5. FateJH

For the Prowler, P2-120 AP cannons have jagged ends and the rounded end bits of the barrels are not smooth or solid. I do not think there is an easy way to distinguish between HE and HEAT without paying special attention to coloration. Look that the end bit is jagged.

For the Vanguard, Titan-150 AP has an elongated vent bit on the tip of the barrel. NC AP is similar to NC HE on quick glance, but the HE is much more box-like and has vents all around them as opposed to AP whose bit is more boomerang in shape and only has vents on the sides. Look that the end bit is wide.

For the Magrider, the easiest way to tell the difference between the Supernova types is that VPC and FPC are boxy and standard PC is cylindrical and it has that characteristic round glowy bit back near the hinged part. FPC - the VS AP - comes to a point at the end while VPC - the VS HE - does not taper. Look that the end bit tapers.

Like I said in the Air vs. G2A AA arguments, though: you'll forgive that DB MAX. He lacks the zoom to tell what you have atteched to your wings or the insight as to whether you're making an AA-check pass; but, since you're the enemy he is intended to deter, he'll shoot at you indiscriminately.
  6. Onhil

It's actually quite easy to spot the differences on the Vanu and the Vangaurd barrels, but it is a little harder to see the difference on the prowler barrel. a good example for you at least. the Vanu PC is a sylinder the FPC is a thin metal triangle thing and the VPC is a flat prisim. the Titan Heat is just a normal barrel. the Titan AP is has an arrow form and the Titan HE is a cube. PS 120 Heat is just a normal barrel. the PS 120 AP has spikes on the end of it's barrel. and the PS 120 HE looks like hte normal PS 120 barrel where the underside of it looks different. hopes this helped
  7. Sixstring

The whole infantry VS armor dynamic needs to change,not EVERY infantry class needs an AV option it needs to be just Engineers and HA with AV capabilities since the other classes are already more specialized for combat within the interior of bases where tanks are heavily restricted. I think C-4 should be uber-nerfed before PPA even gets touched as it is the most ridiculous thing in the game right now by far other than the various bugs. Infact ALL infantry AV should be adjusted so that vehicle combat is the obvious recourse against vehicles not just swarms of heavy assaults and suicidal light assaults. People underestimate how easy it is to C-4 tanks as a "light" infantry class,so let me get this straight I have to pull my tank from another base AND maintain it but any random infantry can spawn repeatedly and suicide charge my tank until he gibs it at no cost to resources to him unless he actually drops the C-4? That's not fair players should lose the C-4 if they die with it,now THAT is true risk vs reward.
    • Up x 1
  8. Nano(zip/zap)

Um no they are mobile infantry which mean their role is to get to a point ASAP I don't see anything that make them a tank hunting infantry. Little brother to the heavy assault then they shouldn't be able to kill a tank better than the heavy assault. It's like a little brother that's not as well trained as you but better than you at your job. Like you spent 4 years at rocket school but lil bro's IED is far more effective. They are LIGHT ASSAULTS notice the term light that doesn't just mean faster it normally also means weaker too.

I could see giving LA a type anti-tank grenade in place of concussion grenades at most but not 2 flipping C4 that do more damage than the and-tank grenade or the freaking anti-tank rockets. LA job is to be mobile infantry get somewhere and get there fast not flying anti-tankers.
    • Up x 1
  9. Rovertoo

Maybe not better than the HA, I agree. The HA should be brute, front-loaded force. That's why I'd support a reduction to C4 damage for the change. The grenade launcher (or whatever we give the LA) should be less damage and range, but still capable.
  10. NBA JAM

Look at all these kiddies picking on the OP. Seriously, ONCE AGAIN, look at how downhill this game has gone.

2 American servers down from 8 or so. Gives you an idea of how the game has lost its following because of poor gameplay.

Super fast deaths, countless explosions, quick TTK's are all part of the reason why nobody plays this game. So many people have left (again, this is not a made up statistic I'm pulling out of nowhere) because of **** like C4.

An item you can THROW that's cheap, kills packs of MAXs and infantry units AND can 1 shot most vehicles....Balance goes where? Pulling 1-2 bricks of C4 is much cheaper than pulling your main battle tank.

And to the bads that QQ about getting cert farmed at bases, that's not the HE shells fault, that's your fault for not having Flak armour. Furthermore its bad dev decision making that created the bases that can be farmed in the first place.

Blame the devs, not the tanks.

nuff said
    • Up x 2
  11. Ixidron

Note: this is a copy & paste of an old reply, data might not be 100% accurate (i.e: resources).

My obligatory C4 suggestion/wall of text:

As an alternative I have this:

Directional C4: currently C4 can blow up a tank completely ignoring armor and armor certifications, instead it should be directional (they'll have to fix the current tank armor issue).

Note: Bottom armor is the same armor AT mines hit (also called underbelly), you cannot place C4 there (with the exception of the magrider), but you can lay traps.

Lightings: They remain unchanged, 2 blocks of C4 will blow up lightings, independently of C4 placement (lighting= 200 resources= 2 blocks of C4), with some exceptions, having certed into Side/top/front armor or mineguard will affect their survival against C4.

Meaning 2 blocks of C4 against an upgraded armor will put the lighting on fire, so now armor upgrades and fire extinction system will have a real purpose, mineguard level 3 will protect the lighting from bottom armor explosions, still it will be put on fire, while a maxed out mineguard will leave the lighting just before catching fire (same health as using fire extintion).

MBTs: 2 blocks of C4 will blow up the tank if placed on the rear or the bottom/belly, if placed on the sides or the top armor the tank will be put on fire, and if placed on the front armor the tank will survive without catching fire, Armor upgrades will allow the tank to survive the explosions without catching fire, mineguard level 3 will protect the MBT from bottom armor explosions, still it will be put on fire, while a maxed out mineguard will leave the MBT just before catching fire.

Any combination of rear C4 with top/side/bottom armor will blow up the tank, with the exception of maxed out mineguard (this exception applies to MBTs) and rear+front armor (lightings with front armor upgrade will survive), that 2 combinations will leave the tank on fire and severely damaged (5 seconds before exploding unless repaired), this will ignore armor upgrades.

New Grenade certification for LAs (also replaces HA's AT grenade): Sticky anti-tank grenade, it will cost 100 certifications and 50 infantry resources, 2 blocks of C4+1 sticky AT grenade (250 resources, same as MBTs) will be enough to blow up MBTs independently of C4 placement, with the exception of improved armor in that case the tank will be put on fire, but LAs can cert into extra grenades to counter that.

Faster to place and detonate C4: Now there will be less delay between C4 placement and detonation. as long as you are not flying or falling (it will be the same as it is now).

The reason behind this modifications:
    • Engineers can buy 3 blocks of C4, which will be enough to blow up a MBT with improved armor, independently of C4 placement.
    • It will reward flanking and positioning.
    • It will equal the infantry resource cost needed to destroy a MBT with the MBT resource cost.
    • It will level LAs with other classes, since other classes will be able to blow up a MBT using 200 resources and placing C4 on the rear, while LAs can do that, or instead they can spend 250 resources to blow up the tank easily, and since C4 remains a few seconds after dying (until respawning), the Sticky grenade can be used to detonate the C4 even if you failed at pressing the button.
    • It will make armor upgrades, mineguard and fire extinction system matter.
    TL;DR:C4 damage depends on armor (front, side, top, rear, bottom) and armor upgrades/mineguard, new sticky AT grenades (100 certs 50 resources equals resource cost between MBTs and the infantry resources used to blow it up), C4 is faster to place and detonate, C4 remains a few seconds after dying, flanking is rewarded with less resource cost needed to destroy a MBT.

Another alternative:

As an alternative we can also split C4 in 2 variants:

Variant 1 or Shaped charge: The shaped charge is a plastic explosive charge capable of dealing massive damage to vehicles, it must be directly placed in the rear of the vehicle to completely destroy it, otherwise the vehicle will be damaged and catch fire, but it won't be destroyed.

Plastic explosive is very stable, so it won't explode when hit by bullets but instead it will be rendered non-operational, explosions will still trigger it.

This shaped charge comes equipped with both a remote detonator and time bomb type detonator, meaning you won't lose your resources if you got killed after placing but not detonating it, it will also give some time for the vehicle owner to bail out if he was the one noticing and killing you or if he got warned.

It also comes equipped with a magnetic-pressure hybrid detonator, meaning it can be placed in friendly vehicles and be used to ram other enemy vehicles, the charge will explode by contact.

This charge must be placed by holding the left mouse for 0.5 seconds, meaning it cannot be placed into fast moving vehicles, but you can always try to place it into slow moving vehicles.

Price will be 200 resources and 200 certifications, you'll be able to carry 2 at a time.

Variant 2 or standard C4: This variant will behave like the one we have now, with the exception of dealing less damage to armor, it will cost less resources to compensate (85 resources), and will come with the brand new dead man switch detonator, so, if you die all your C4 will detonate after a couple of seconds.

TL;DR: Split C4, shaped charge, must be placed, Anti-Vehicle, normal C4 AI, can be thrown, less damage against vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  12. Nano(zip/zap)

What about that semi new players who don't have the certs for full spec flack armor, huh? Don't say just go get "this" like every player has 4000 certs just sitting there waiting to be spent. How about this stop calling players not as good as you happen to be bad players maybe just maybe they don't have all the **** that your toon has.

Now on the base farming yea that's mostly because of stupid base layout, a lot of the bases in this game would make any military engineer weep at how ridiculous they are designed. With either too much or to little in the way of a defensive layout and many many opening that just let the enemies walk right on in. It'd be nice if you had to take down a base's defenses first then start taking the points but no that would be way too much tactical thinking for such a CF style shooter. Just in case you don't know CF in this instance stands for Cluster ****.
  13. Sixstring

And don't forget they don't actually lose the C-4 unless they throw it but the tank driver loses his tank. So basically most infantry classes can run around with the stuff until they need it and keep spawning over and over again indefinitely until they can get their target while the vehicle driver needs to maintain their investment. This goes for HA rockets as well but I've said for a long time rockets need a resource cost too.
    • Up x 1
  14. Bixli

...don't use proxy radar , don't use movement & don't use awareness & you'll doing fine.
    • Up x 1
  15. Hatesphere

The damage that can be dealt by 2 sticks of C4 pales in comparrision to the amount of damage that can be handed out by a tank over the same effective time it take that infantry to keep running at you. Its not a good comparison to use.
    • Up x 1
  16. z1967

Ah, ok. Thanks guys!
  17. MotionBlured

If you're >10m away from infantry, you're not going to get c4'd. Infantry needs to rub their nuts on your tank to c4 you, or place it somewhere and wait for you to drive over it.
  18. DFDelta

C4 does not require much skill the way most people use it, it instead relies on its victims lacking situational awareness and/or common sense.
    Sadly amongst the PS2 playerbase the former and especially the latter are so rare they count as minor superpowers.

Agreed, as always you bring this point up. (reduce C4 damage to 55% per brick, instead of the ~80% it does now)
  19. DrPapaPenguin

Shuddup, I bought camo for my C4, it's a premium weapon now.
  20. FBVanu

IMHO, C-4 is the same as a special pistol round, that could kill any MAX unit with just a few shots... that you can cert into with just 200 certs, and have unlimited supplies of that special ammo.

C-4 should have to be placed directly on the back of the tank, or it should deliver only 1500 damage, per brick, regardless of MBT or Lightning.. .
    Otherwise, what is the point of a "weak spot" on tanks? Where is the weak spot on Harassers, Sundys, Galaxies, Liberators etc??

Any C-4 next to a tank, should not have any splash damage at all.. if its not directly ON the tank, it should do no damage to the tank at all. However, if you put it on the road, a tank drives over it, you explode the C-4.. same 1500 damage per brick.

The perceived "imbalance" can easily be understood when you ask tankers what they are afraid of the most : C-4 ranks high
    Ask what most infantry are afraid of : NOT tanks..

More accurate placement, some damage reduction, then C-4 could be balanced.
    • Up x 1