Back to air supremacy days, once more

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Anantidaephobia, May 2, 2014.

1. lothbrook

I'll just say it in every thread, Aircraft need to be nerfed into specialization just like ground vehicles have, you don't have to choose what you want to kill with aircraft and with all the recent buffs to aircraft against ground fire, it doesn't take a genius to figure out they ****** up big time.
  2. TheFamilyGhost

Nerfing is not a solution. It is a sad admission that the players can't handle a challenging game.
  3. NowBreathingManually

Literally all the time I see Libs "parked" for minutes at a time, just sniping everyone.
    Guess who's shooting at them? No one.
    They can't be taken down by 2 lockon Heavies, nor 1 double Burster MAX, before they're out of sight.
    Knowing this, a few still go for them if only to make them leave.
    They're less vulnerable than any MBT,
    if only because the majority of players everywhere either don't do teamwork or lack the appropriate weapons.

I suggest unlocking the second Burster and the faction-specific lockon AA launcher by default.
    • Up x 1
  4. Phyr

lol, So it's fine if some people are playing on easy, while others are playing on hard in a multiplayer game? It's a good thing you're not in charge of anything game related.
    • Up x 2
  5. TheFamilyGhost

Assigning skill values to the weapons a person chooses to play with is extremely self limiting. It will *always* lead you to rationalizations that will convince you that you are a victim, and not a player.

You are right that it is good for you I'm not in charge. The game would be based on true gaming values: the overcoming of challenges in game, not in forum.
  6. Phyr

Your idea of balance is adorable in it's simplicity, and wrongness.
    • Up x 1
  7. TheFamilyGhost

Why?

I think I know why. Because only you are allowed to decide what is "balanced", and you will decide this "balance" by a set of arbitrary "skill values" based on weapons that players use. These skill values will always be in a state of flux. If not, you won't be able to claim to being a victim of people using "low skill" weapons.

The idea of being bested by another player is extremely distasteful. The modern gamer has had nothing but entitlement and victory handed to them by games that smile as they take money from people so willing to have a gilded path to the scripted victory cut-scene at the mortal expense of basic and crucial gamer attributes: the fortitude to accept misfortune, and the perseverance to overcome.

Now, when faced with difficulty, the modern gamer charges to the forums to convince everyone that they aren't a poor player; they've been victimized by powers out of their control.

We truly do live in the dark age of gaming.
  8. Phyr

In a PVP game, balance should be determined by player skill, not the weapon they use. If you want the game to challenge you, play a single player game. It appears to me, that you can't understand the difference between balance in a PVP game, and a PVE game.
    • Up x 1
  9. TheFamilyGhost

And how exactly is that done?
  10. Phyr

Through weapon balance. o_O How are you not getting this?
    • Up x 1
  11. z1967

Ok, think about it this way:
    -Weapon A takes 20% of player effort to use whilst producing 20% of power output
    -Weapon B takes 35% of player effort to use whilst producing 30% of power output
    -Weapon A is obviously less powerful but is also far easier to use, making it great for lesser skilled players and default weapons
    -Weapon B is obviously more powerful but also requires far more skill to use, making it better in the hands of an experienced player compared to a non-experienced player.
    -Weapon C takes 20% of player effort to produce 30% of power output
    -Weapon C is blatantly more powerful for less skill because it has the usability of Weapon A whilst having the power capabilities of Weapon B. Therefore, it is unbalanced and either needs to reduced in power output or increased in effort needed to perform well.

Hopefully that makes sense but basically, Weapon A is a noob weapon that is great for noobs, Weapon B is a more skill based weapon intended for higher skill players, and Weapon C is the imbalanced weapon that needs to be balanced in order to fit in with Weapons A and B.
  12. Brahma2

You ever tried killing a MAX with a Dalton?

Most of the issue is servers that are typically empty, and there's no issue farming ground... Try dealing with a ******* Sundy train on Connery, or when people decide to setup a 6 burster AA trap that instakills you, or a group of lock-on heavies at a random base ready, or two or more skyguards right next to each other counting down the minutes till you unluckily fly over, or that eight man group of A2A scumbags that are on comms calling targets.

Unless you're on a full server, you're playing your Liberator easy mode.

And if you're dying? Try what HMRD or AFX does and kill everything around you. There's hardly anything five to six Libs can do against that, much less one.
    • Up x 1
  13. TheFamilyGhost

What?!?!? What you wrote is nonsense.

We truly live in the dark ages of gaming.
  14. TheFamilyGhost

Yep, weapon balance that you won't specifically address.

I know why that is. First you are of the demographic that complains more than maintains. You're really upset, but that is due to immaturity. Also, if you do specify something, then you'll be locked into your solution and won't be able to be a victim anymore.

When faced with owning your experience you refuse and instead seek to censor others with a juvenile "if you were skilled you wouldn't kill me with that weapon..." argument.

Entitled and spoiled twelve year olds are in control of the gaming culture.

We truly do live in the dark ages of gaming.
  15. Gustavo M

Because the only way to counter is by using a Liberator yourself does not make it OP at all.
    Thank god you are not one of the PS2 devs.
  16. Booface

Tankbuster used to be fine until they buffed Lib armor versus Flak and tank rounds. You had to expose yourself to tank fire to get in close enough to use it. Now it's much less of a risk, especially with Comp armor. A tank can fire its main gun into your cockpit all day and you would still have time to kill 3 MBTs before you even had to start thinking about bugging out.
  17. z1967

I thought it was fairly simple and straightforward:
    -Weapon A is the default weapon that is great for beginners because it requires less skill to use but outputs less damage than other weapons
    -Weapon B is the sidegrade intended for use of skilled players by requiring more skill to get more damage
    -Weapon C is the direct upgrade of both weapons since it maintains the ease of use of Weapon A whilst being just as powerful as Weapon B. Weapon C needs to be balanced either by decreasing damage output (power) or increasing skill needed to operate it (effort) in order to balance it against A and B.

This is so simple I don't know if I could simplify it any further than it already has been.
  18. NinjaKirby

I'm not an experienced Games Developer, so I agree, I'm glad I'm not on the Dev team.

I agree, it doesn't make it OP, my advice was intended for any Lonewolfers (who it may seem OP to) who're getting their Jimmy's rustled every 15 minutes and losing their tanks - where I realise it is established the Liberator is the predator, and the Tank is the prey.

It rustles my jim jams as well sometimes, because if there happens to be no pubbies/outfits around running AA duty, you can be annihilated by Dalton in like <10 seconds. During which, you don't always even see or hear the rounds flying through the air because the Lib's so high up, and you just see chunks of health rapidly being bitten off.

Argh god, you'd think you could go third person and SEE something, "Oh, AV Mana turrets coming from the side", "Oh, HA with Decimator to the rear, I saw the round hit my back-end". Sometimes you don't see anything, just explosions steadily ripping you apart until you learn it's a Liberator way up in the air from a direction you can't even observe unless you get out the tank.

This IS how it should be (apart from the invisible rounds, mind), but it doesn't make it any less annoying.

Although, that's the price to pay for Lonewolfing. Mincemeat for Libs.
  19. TheFamilyGhost

You're equating weapons to some sort of innate player skill level.

Don't you see how that is failable?
  20. Demetrios

Liberator with a 44 round CAS30 and 70 round AP30 can't win a DPS race with a bus that has dual Basilisks or Walkers manned and paying attention, and that's without Blockade Armor. A maxed Blockade bus with manned Basilisks/Walkers is my worst nightmare, barely starts smoking before we're within 1-2 lockon death range. Do you want the Sunderer guns to be automated or something?