A serious threat to the competitive/MLG community.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Earthman, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Dagonlives

Some people are interested in MLG because the most fun they have in videogames is pushing themselves and playing competitively. Making a snap judgement about a player set in an MMO which is designed to cater to multiple playstyles seems really partisan.
  2. ronjahn

In game I have received a large number of hackusations over the past week; pretty much 1-2 a day. This community seems to be getting quite toxic and its really bothering me. Most of the accusers use the foulest, most angry language imaginable.

Look at my stats, I promise you I am nothing special people, please leave me alone and stop /telling me: RonJahn is my in game name and Waterson is my server.

Sitting in the AV Phalanx at Allatum Botany Wing smoking people walking through the doors at Snake Ravine? Must be hacking.

Sniping tanks with my AV turret from the top of Quartz ridge? Must be hacking.

Taking out 7-8 oblivious Tanks on Esamir while soloing in a Halbred harasser without a single person looking my direction? Must be hacking.

Literally pulling up to a group of 8 infantry near the rock to the east of Crossroads and blowing them all away with two HEAT vanguard rounds at full reload speed? Must be hacking.

I'm pretty decent in vehicles, so I can only imagine how bad the hackusations get for someone who is actually skilled at infantry gameplay. I get blown away on foot by what feels like hacks on a regular basis, but I can also understand that some people have absurd accuracy and composure in this low TTK game, and accept they got the best of me.
  3. Earthman

I did make a suggestion, Captain Edgy.

More GM presence, and ways of tying new "free" accounts to specific identities, so the banned find it harder to keep coming back.
  4. Earthman

Is your name IIILiiiloiioio000 in game?

Are you, somehow, always in the BR1 to BR5 range or so, and keep maintaining characters in that range?

Are you using starter LMGs to headshot groups of people at a time?

If not, I'm probably not accusing you of anything.
  5. Earthman

That's a good cynical modern gamer attitude. Good for you. Not like I can stop you.
  6. Earthman

My point is that "competitive" play is threatened if a script and a few keystrokes to turn it on lets people fit in without the practice and effort.

You guys probably have a good number of imitators in your midst, and they are likely some of the more toxic and hostile to the rest of the playerbase. Small people love being bullies.
  7. ronjahn

Well I do have a toon name IdoitfortheLAWLZ(or some variation of that) who makes an appearance on random servers every time new faction specfic weapons are released and then gets deleted after the trial runs out so he never gets above BR1-5. But no I can't headshot groups of people at a time :)
  8. FLHuk

See now that's not even worth saying, LIDEO had at least >>> https://players.planetside2.com/#!/search/lideo on Cobalt and that's just one guy!

----
    Aiming this wider and not just towards Nenarch but there's NO point saying I've not seen a cheat where most of us have not seen a Great White in the flesh but wouldn't deny they are out there!

All we can say with no fear of contradiction is there are more than any of us know about.
  9. LT_Latency

Sure there is, If you don't see or notice them very often. They can't be a very big problem.

It's like complaining about trash on your lawn when you never see any.

Are there hacks??? Yes all games have hacks, But it's not a constant game breaking experience all the time
  10. MasonSTL

^OMG THIS!^ If all these hackers are making look like they are a good player how do you know they aren't just a good player? And if their hacking is only making them as skilled as a good player whats the difference?
    • Up x 2
  11. CDN_Wolvie

Damn, you must be really bored these days Rhino, I remember your play style being quite different when I played with you and SPV
  12. Phazaar

There are no hackers.
  13. Earthman

If you don't see or understand the problem with "you too can be skilled(tm), just get this script and no one will know the difference", I don't know what else I can say to you except that you are part of the problem.
  14. Phazaar

I love you.
    • Up x 1
  15. Phazaar

The only relevant part of the problem is that this bothers you. Real competitive players would -always- rather be surrounded by better players and sitting on a 0.5 K/D, because it's about the challenge of competition, not LAWL KILLED ANOTHER N00B. This is why when training in martial arts, you don't aim to beat the new kid in your gym, you aim to beat your teacher. It's why pace makers for women's running are men, and pace makers for men's cycling are motorcycles/e-bikes.

Forget about whether you need some moral position on the matter and get your head in the game. You have no way to determine if the guy that just killed you did it with or without a cheat, so who cares. Tell yourself he's better than you and up your game. If it turns out he's actually not better than you, so what, all he's doing is helping you improve your ability.
    • Up x 2
  16. Earthman

Funny. I think that the "if hackers are only as good as skilled players so its not a problem" thing is a pretty false reassurance, because the so-called balance of being killed by these guys is supposedly how rare it is that it happens.

If being "skilled" is a script away, it isn't rare anymore, now is it?
  17. Earthman

"No true Scotsman" fallacy, textbook example, this guy right here.

"Who cares" is a weak putdown. I care and a fair number in this thread care, Captain Apathy.
  18. tproter

And my point is that the hacker may not beat you enough for you to notice or even care. But multiply that times a thousand other gamers that he's hacking against and it does make a difference.

But in today's age where gamers only care about themselves an no one else, I see your point. After all, it's all about you, isn't it?
  19. MasonSTL

The ones who don't care are the ones that realize that cheating isn't as rampant as some make it out to be, and that these "up-to-par" hackers usually just end up dead at the end of my Warden.
    • Up x 1
  20. Phazaar

Lol, there's no fallacy here. I'm not excluding your specific case. I'm addressing IT as the problem, rather than the problem that you perceive. You follow?

Again, "who cares" isn't a put down, it's a conclusion derived from the prior parts of my post indicating why you're wrong to worry about 'up-to-par' hackers. You may well care, but you shouldn't, and as you so well pointed out in your OP, you're not 'MLG pro', you're just making a point about 'a serious threat to the competitive/MLG community'.

The thrust of my post is within this bound; there is clearly no rampant problem with obvious hackers. This leaves the paranoid amongst us certain that there are plenty of folks using hacks to appear to be 'average'. Thus, the question is, are a bunch of average players in any way a threat to the competitive/MLG community. The answer as has been waved at you several times in this thread, is 'no.'

It doesn't help me or my MLG-pro outfit ready ourselves for real competition to sit and farm n00bs all day. To practice, I would readily allow my lesser opponents higher damage weapons, or more HP in order to force me to up my game. If you spend all day fighting the Man with the Golden Gun, you end up pretty proficient with the PPK, if you will.