Why aren’t heroic instance guides on wiki?

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Celestia, Sep 10, 2023.

1. Celestia Well-Known Member

I’m trying to test a BoL heroic on my Channeler with my merc, just to see if some friends and I could do them. They just came back to the game (for a little bit anyway) and we were going to try it since I have the RoR gear as a healer. Problem is, the first named in Echion of Order has a massive power drain and a curse that I can’t for the life of me cure. I’m trying to find a HEROIC guide and the wiki is just giving me guides to solos only. Is this another “figure it out yourself because we don’t want to share strategies” bull or do people just not bother sharing the heroic differences?
  2. Celestia Well-Known Member

(Sorry if this came off crabby, it was a long day.
  3. Benj Well-Known Member

You're deep into the "dark era" where many zones were never given wiki guides. For many heroic zones, I struggled or brute forced the strategies, until a guildmate would share them with me. About a month after that, we were strong enough to ignore the strategies. I forgot most of the strategies before the expansion was even over. I know I personally could do better at updating the wiki (there's lots of disorganized notes in my brain and ACT triggers in my computer), but it's largely a community effort. I can only speculate on why the community at large became worse at keeping the wiki up-to-date. Perhaps some guilds banned their members from uploading so they could jealously guard their secret strategies. Perhaps the few kind enough to post their strategies finally got bored of the game.

Unfortunately, I don't recall that first named in Echelon of Order. I might if I were to run the zone, but my main might just one-shot the bosses and I still wouldn't know.
    Twyla and tasnee like this.
  4. Celestia Well-Known Member

Hm, well thanks for the answer. :)

I suppose it makes sense. The named is Magott the mad, or something like that and he drains my power so much that I can’t do anything. He also puts some sort of curse on youi can get up from the feign death but I can’t do anything about that curse.
  5. Benj Well-Known Member

In general, curses are going to make-or-break a solo run. Many curses have a "die if not cured" mechanic, and only player healers can cure curses. Without that, the only way to solo such bosses will be to over-DPS them, defeating them in only a few seconds.
    Twyla likes this.
  6. Celestia Well-Known Member

I was on my Channeler though that’s the thing, and I didn’t even have the power to click a mana potion, so I kept getting feared. I had an anti fear adorn on and it still happened. Maybe it’s because I don’t have a group right now, I have to wait until they’re both 120 before they can even start the zone.
  7. girney Active Member

ogregaming.com has guides for bol heroics
    tasnee likes this.
  8. Celestia Well-Known Member

Thank you!
  9. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Not too many people edit the wikis. Some just can't be bothered to try, especially for outdated expansions.
    Twyla likes this.
  10. Benj Well-Known Member

Which anti-fear rune were you wearing? Most of the ones I can think of have expansion-based restrictions on them. For example, the free fear rune in the box in Raj'Dur Plateaus wouldn't work in Blood of Luclin.
    Twyla likes this.
  11. Celestia Well-Known Member

Yep, that was the problem. I finally looked to see if it wasn't even supported by that expansion, and I was using the RoR ones, so I got one of the BoL adorns and was able to kill him. Thanks for responding. :)

I'm pretty sure after running the zone on my own, we won't be able to do it, even at 120 because there are 4 of us and a merc from RoR, and two of us are using the boxed gear (well, I have SOME legendary items) from RoR and they are both wearing the BoL starter gear. It sucks too, because I wanted to try and convince them to stick around but I have a feeling this is a temporary thing for them.
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I dunno about other people who write wiki articles, but in Beta I rarely test heroic content, and so I can't write meaningful walkthroughs. Same with raids.

Once the content goes live, I'm in a group or raid and my good friends are just not gonna be patient with me stopping the action to take notes and screenshots.

In the last few expansions, the solo content gives clues as to how to approach the scripts in heroics, which in turn give clues about approaching raids. there are always differences, but that's how we learned the zones.
    Twyla and tasnee like this.
  13. Celestia Well-Known Member

That makes sense, Sig. I figured it out finally, with Benj's help. I was wearing the wrong adorn for the zone. (Sometimes I forget you have to change the red ones around.) I don't think he curses you in the normal one, which is why it was so frustrating. I guess I expected it to be more like the solo, just way harder in terms of health and such. My apologies again if I was grumpy.
    Twyla likes this.