The Dreadcutter: The Pirate Kings

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Lempo, Feb 26, 2013.

1. scousetroub Active Member

Am colour blind in a big way and the vision was a nightmare for me. But did not stop me causing a Mutiny on The Dradcutter :cool:
  2. Karagon Active Member

Why you need to know about that? How smth woyuld change if you would know? People still would get ported and would get cursed
  3. scousetroub Active Member

Karagon - where do you get the figures from ? alot of that stuff you have said is wrong but w/e one of your players said 25% for heals, Not a tough fight we even killed it with alts in raid - well worked one tho

So don't make stuff up like every one knew what was going on and been so obtuse about it
  4. Zezar New Member

Fixed it for you :)

When it comes to the fight, I think its one of the better ones lately.
  5. Darkon Well-Known Member

It is luck based. It's completely luck based, because the last 25% can be IDENTICAL to the previous ~60% that you've been dealing with lightning if the spawns line up. It should be it ALWAYS spawns near by or NEVER spawns near by, not a random chance. If it NEVER spawned near by, then okay, you always have to go roam to locate it, but having it close on occasion makes it so that a guild could technically kill it without ever doing anything special to deal with that sub 25 script because they simply got lucky.

Always or never, making it happen 'sometimes' adds a luck factor that makes it unfun. Get lucky with a couple spawns back to back and suddenly the mob is dead without you ever having done anything to deal with the script. It's like if every fighter had a 10% chance to proc a 100 hate position buff when they get the red text on Drinal. Sure, it might help sometimes, but it's not reliable, and it makes it so that you can negate mechanics by being lucky. Quite frustrating.

I'm not saying it's not possible to deal with it reliably regardless, I'm simply saying that having it incredibly easy 'sometimes' is a bad design.
  6. slippery Well-Known Member

Of course it's luck based. It's even worse when you start getting things like the person who has to kill the add gets ported and now has the mob on them as well. People are just so firmly in denial. There is nothing good about an encounter that could easily die in 8 minutes yet you've been alive for 25 minutes because every single add is across the zone, and then when you get close you can't even kill it because the person who needs to kill the add gets stopped from doing so by completely random bull. Like the previous mentioned port. Or one of my favorites, the adds spawning, in the room, and stunning you while you run up the stairs to one of the top rooms, then causing you to get hit by the lightning storm and die. The adds that pretty much chain stun you with entirely too much range. I love when they are in the room and I'm next to the mast outside and get rooted, stunned, stunned, lightning storm, stunned stunned, dead. That's so great.

Yes, it is a good encounter. No, it should not stay as it is.
  7. Quabi Active Member

But then it would be "luck based" based on how far people had to run. And if they normalized that, you could still get lucky and beat the encounter if your brain dead scouts never got chosen.

Randomness will always lead to variable difficulty. It's usually worth it because having every fight play out exactly the same way each time would be boring. It's bad when you end up in un-winnable situations. If you have 70% avoidance and lose 5 rolls in a row, you may die that pull and live fine the next pull (without the unlucky streak) even if everyone plays exactly the same way. If you could have avoided the death on the unlucky streak, then oh well, you just need to get better.
  8. Raenius Well-Known Member

Imagine the witchdoctor spawns right next to the guy getting the curse everytime - hitting macro, oneshot it and continue - thats too easy, sorry.
    The curse has a purpose so does the lightning, should keep it this way - if it spawns anywhere else but next to you its no wipe, just wait another round for a closer spawn if you arent capable of actually communicate witchdoctors position, get to it and kill it.
  9. slippery Well-Known Member

How long was your actual kill time? We've had multiple 25+ minute pulls of hope we get closer spawns instead of as far as you can be from the witch doctor. Or hope you don't get ported right after getting the curse. Or get stunned by the adds in the room while your running up the stairs 15+ meters from them

Having to wait until things line up so that you can kill the mob is so dumb.
  10. scousetroub Active Member

We killed the doctor when it can be at it's furthest point - if you had 25 mins pulls it should dead in all honesty. Either some one is messing up on some thing or you have totally missed a spawn, I doubt the latter

I would be disappointed if we don't kill it under 10 mins next time.
  11. Twyxx Well-Known Member

We've probably worked on it two days less than those that have killed it at this point. Yeah, there's some luck-based stuff, but once our scouts have all gotten more witchdoctor runs in it will be manageable just like running back after the port has become. I know the first four times I got it the witchdoctor was right next to me and the only time I had to run out I didn't even make it down the stairs cause I wasn't used to the navigating the blindness yet. With more practice I'm sure they'll consistently be sub 10 min kills.

Not to say it's a perfect encounter, but I've really enjoyed it. Especially after Drinal lowered the bar so much. Nice to work on something really challenging that tests everyone in the raid...well except those bum mages. Next encounter put them to work and let the scouts sit back and laugh!
  12. scousetroub Active Member

There is one thing that puzzles me - We get infra vision,why does the mob not have a heat signature ?
  13. Twyxx Well-Known Member

Cause Ethernere.

Wait, did I just do lore?
  14. Estred Well-Known Member

Yes, yes you did. Agreed with your point about Drinal lowering the expectation bar... wait... was that intended?

I really hope I am just joking on that 2nd part.
    Igotwardzforu likes this.
  15. Jezes Active Member

Can someone from SOE address the whole rezzing into **** during the fight? How was this not even noticed on beta, it happens OFTEN.
  16. Eminaria New Member

You do know you don't have to wait untill you've got the curse to practice running the stairs 'blind' tho... I mean, have the scouts zone in and grab some infravision stuff and practice... you know what you've got to deal with... why wait till you have to do it in a high stress situation... make the run second nature before you even have to do it, and then when you do get the curse you execute what you know you need to do... learn, practice, preform.
  17. Buffrat Well-Known Member

brb, recording lightning sounds to play over vent to scouts.
  18. Jezes Active Member

I had my volume on max when I first heard the lightning sounds, almost **** myself. IT WAS LOUD AS ****.
  19. scousetroub Active Member

The lighting is not unique to the Pirates - just when the zone went live it was not on the fights before, It's not hard to work out when the next strike is.

The only random or luck part is who the curse is going on and the spawn point of witchdoctor - saying that there is prolly 7 scouts in raid so it will land on one them ......witchdoctor well not hard to work out it fixed spawn points for them.
  20. Eminaria New Member

You could do that too if you wanted to... he however claimed he wasn't used to navigating the stairs blind and that he needed to practice that... well you don't have to wait for the fight to practice navigating the stairs with infravision. Once you've practiced that, then that's one less thing you have to think about when it's your turn to go to the doctor.