The Alternate Timeline Rears Its Ugly Head [Minor Spoilers]

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-Darth Stomper, Apr 19, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Wurm wrote:
    More like 86% of all people. At least one person in the group has to advance through the entire conversation to spawn the Fabled Allizewsaur.
  2. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Psia@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Much like some Euradites call themselves Geomancers but arn't throwing around mountains or raising entire cities by themselves I think the Timeless Chronomages we see in the cities of Norrath have a different take on magic. The Euradite Chronomages change your personal "time" (level) so you can experience something that you would miss otherwise. They don't actually send you into the past.
    While they are highly in tune with temporal disturbances (thus why they find the chronoportals during the EQ1 anniversary event), we haven't seen any evidence that they are as advanced in time manipulation as the Claws of Veeshan are. Though ever since it was reveiled that Miragul used time travel it has become more and more common.
    /sigh, next will be an expansion where we go back to Luclin just after its invaded by Sol Ro and Rallos Zek to prevent them from containing Luclin's spirit and it turns out WE BLEW UP LUCLIN TO SAVE HER.
  3. ARCHIVED-Wurm Guest

Meirril wrote:
    Don't know about that, we ran straight for the big statue and were getting chomped before we even noticed the group of npcs.
  4. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Meirril wrote:
    Ahh yes, the Stable Time Loop. You think that by going into the past to prevent a disaster from happening, you can change it and prevent it from happening, but soon find that that no matter what you try to do to alter it, YOU CAUSE THE DISASTER. Always love that one. If they were to introduce Luclin through that method, it'd be interesting to see how we end up effing things up. It would put aside complaints about how Luclin is still blown up in the sky everywhere else in the game.. I think there it was once states that the artwork for it cannot be altered.
  5. ARCHIVED-Lodrelhai Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Well, both Nagafen and the Sage of Ages say that the destruction of Luclin was related to Kerafyrm. Maybe in order to stop him we pull him into Luclin's past and blow it up with him there?
  6. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Quite possible... but we also know that both of them were flat out lying to our faces and we called Nagafen out on it.
  7. ARCHIVED-KniteShayd Guest

Ragefighter@Permafrost wrote:
    It wouldn't be farfetched to see more of this in the future. I would venture to guess that Chronomancy will give the game some room to expand content-wise. i.e. Us finally getting Luclin, via time travel (to perhaps a 3rd timeline)
    Afterall, the Nights of the Dead quest didn't seem like a major twist to the game, but ended up giving us a bit more lore and the freebloods as a playable race.
    /ponders
    Hmm... If Freebloods came about from that, then who's to say we won't get Drakkin soon? Given the direction we are going (Skyshrine, Dragons, them needing help...). Perhaps we bring them from EQLive's timeline into ours via chronomancy. And if not as a playable race, then perhaps as an NPC race, like the Erudites from pre-shattered Odus...
    /grin
  8. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Maybe the EQ2 team hired Brannon Braga to write for them. ;) He wrote a lot of Star Trek TNG, Voyager, Enterprise, and created FlashForward. He's big into time travel and alternate realities.
  9. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

feldon30 wrote:
    Couldn't be. The time travel here actually makes sense and prevents any paradoxes from happening. :D
    Seriously, most of those shows time travel episodes involved internal inconsistancies and causality loops that make me cross my eyes and wonder if those writers ever looked at their own work after the wrote it. Time travel is a messy business.
    Still not happy about Miragul time traveling. But the Skyshrine stuff is done well.
  10. ARCHIVED-BollyUK Guest

Would be cool if they did an event on EQ1 and EQ2 at the same time prior to the launch of eqnext something related to timetravel that would unify the two timelines again so we can start from the beginning
    I guess it might need to be done in a way that would prevent the plane of time events in the new eqnext timeline so don't end up with an eq4!
  11. ARCHIVED-Lodrelhai Guest

Alluvial@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    While that kind of event would be nifty, any such link between EQ/EQ2 and EQNext will mean at some point they are going to run into the pre-time-change arguments that we get here on a regular basis. One or the other of the older games will discover something that actually happened before the point that we changed the timeline, and we will debate endlessly whether that event is canon to EQNext history because it was before the alteration, or not canon and ignored because it was only known after the new reality had already spun off on its own.
    I believe the purpose of EQNext being an AU of the Norrath we know was so the dev team there could create internally-consistent lore without having to deal with either lore created more than a decade ago by developers that don't even work for the company anymore, or players constantly screaming about retcon.
  12. ARCHIVED-BollyUK Guest

Was that the purpose of the AU? I thought it's just because they knew lots of people liked EQ1
  13. ARCHIVED-Mary the Prophetess Guest

Never mind, i thought better of it, and decided not to post after all. Remove at your leisure.
  14. ARCHIVED-Tyrus Dracofire Guest

i just posted somewhere very recently.
    i ask the devs to keep old blueprint copy of Qeynos and Freeport zones for "past events" for invasion wars from orcs in freeport and gnolls/undeads in qeynos for chrono quest as new upgrade storylines.
    everyone want to see storyline in old city versions and battle the invaders and to save the cities from becoming ash of ruins, even orges of rallo empires, with epic portion scaled battles in most districts.
    it would made sense why we had help rebuilt those original districts before city remakes.