Slash not working

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Dude, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Dude Well-Known Member

I just reloaded EQ2, but am having some issues. The / doesn't work for me. When I press it, nothing happens. Any idea what I need to select to make it work?

It's set correctly in settings to begin a command line, but when I press / it just makes the most recent thing in my chat window blink once.
  2. Grumpy_Warrior It's a KILT, dang it!

Make sure you changed the setting under Options, Controls, Chat keys, Begin command. I think there is another setting with a similar name that makes this confusing. If you've already changed it then I'm not sure what to think.
    Dude likes this.
  3. kingmob23 Well-Known Member

He looks hard at work to me.

[IMG]
  4. Grumpy_Warrior It's a KILT, dang it!

The easiest way to teach Dad the difference...

[IMG]
  5. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I had this problem on one of mine and it seemed nothing I did worked. I had to go in and make sure on the options that nothing else used the slash for anything, then I had to go into the chat options and there is one that you have to either check a box or set a button like you did for the slash that allows the slash to begin writing in the chat box without hitting enter or some other key first. Took me eons to figure it out and I could find nothing online, in archived forums or anywhere else that would help track it down and fix it.

PS

Welcome Back!! I knew you would miss me *giggles snarkily*
    Breanna and Dude like this.
  6. Dude Well-Known Member

It's completely unplayable this way and I can't figure out what's wrong.

I deleted the / from the options > controls > chat keys > begin command just to see what would happen. It appears to the the only command with that key because nothing happened. When I reset it to default, it went back to just making the most recent thing in my chat window blink.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  7. Breanna Well-Known Member

Yes Dude welcome back :)
    Cyrrena and Dude like this.
  8. Daryx Well-Known Member

Try setting the begin command to another key value just to see if that works.

Also, I occasionally have issues with my keyboard due to having the language bar in use; left-alt-shift fixes that (it toggles because of the language bar) as when it happens it makes some keys not work correctly. It happens when I accidentally hit left-alt-shift while playing and don't realize it.
    Dude likes this.
  9. Dude Well-Known Member

Thank you for your suggestions. :)

When I changed the command to another key, the same thing happened. I also tried the left-alt-shift combination, but nothing happened. :(

Submitting a customer support ticket ... since I can't /petition.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  10. Grumpy_Warrior It's a KILT, dang it!

Can you click the input box at the bottom of the chat window and type anything at all? If so, you should be able to manually type /petition (or anything else). If not and you are using a custom UI you might need to show or hide the frame and title bar in Window Settings to make the input box appear.
    Dude, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  11. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Dude. I wish I could remember exactly what I did to fix it. I was so aggravated I almost turned the box off all the way. But I finally just let the stubborn flow and kept poking buttons until I found the ones that allowed it to work. Even setting everything the same as one that worked fine didn't seem to work fine.
    Dude and Breanna like this.
  12. Dude Well-Known Member

Ok, this is a weird one. On my chat window, I removed the frame. Now it works. :confused:

Thank you everyone for your help.
    Cyrrena, Xianthia and Breanna like this.
  13. Breanna Well-Known Member

:) Glad you got it figured out :D
    Cyrrena, Xianthia and Dude like this.
  14. Tedorikkthefirst Member

It's a small thing, but more often than not I've found what is central to many mapping issues tied to what I believe is a core bug.
    When options is Open and you have all of the choice where to go; at the VERY bottom left there's the default keymap set you'd prefer to use, in a Drop Down menu. Everquest, Everquest 2, and maybe one other. I've literally made ALL my mapping changes and trust me that's more than a few, and Then made the mistake of using the Mouse Button 2 (more commonly know as the mouse wheel...) and quicker than you can say "Kaladim here I come..." that drop down menu ...down there... scrolls and poof. Everything you've done is 'defaulted' away. God Bless you.
    Post Script - grats for working it out long before I arrived here, down at the bottom of this now completed thread.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  15. Tedorikkthefirst Member

Addendum
    My mouse button 2 may indeed be the culprit from time to time, however having just happen while remapping on Kaladim, I thought I'd clarify my discovery. It appears that the key (down arrow) might very well be the dirty-bird each time changing things in an instant.
    Nearly done clearing the binds to reset or what-have-you and actually accidentally tapped the down arrow and the Keyboard setting or whatever it's called that was on Everquest, instantly jumped to Other. Fyi. Proceed with caution if you enjoy remapping, and this will lesson your frustration.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  16. ianiention New Member

I've had the same thing over the past week, very pleased to have read this, thanks.

Dude likes this.