Sage made writing books

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-EverAfterIt, Jun 16, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-GrunEQ Guest

I was able to solve some of my book buying problems related to content, when I visited a home of someone who had bought most of the books for sale on the server. I read them and determined the ones I though were of value, and then went out and bought them.
    My thoughts from this? It would be nice to have a library, where you could check server books out (just stand there and read them) and if you really like them, go buy them.
  2. ARCHIVED-Celena Guest

GrunEQ wrote:
    Cant you do this at the broker already? ( I mean cant you read the player written books while at the broker?)
    Forgive me, I have not had reason to check this option out as of yet....
  3. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

I have been placing copies in my guild hall library so people can preview them there before buying.
  4. ARCHIVED-Cocapez Guest

The books are absolutly amazing, I am having so much fun trying to think of great things to write about.
    My only suggestion as to making them better would be to put somewhere on the books that have been edited, some where on the examine window and tooltip that shows what the book is Tier wise, so if it is the T1 rare book everyone would know that by just examining it. As it is right now once a title has been given to the book you can no longer tell what leather/tier the book was made from you can only tell if it is common or mastercrafted.
    So like mabe under the Author it could say something like Style Hidebound Leather Notebook so that you are still able to tell what the book was originally tiered as without looking at it in your guild hall or dressing room window and then trying to match that with the books on the broker to see which tier it is, I just think this will make it easier for people to know which style they like better.
  5. ARCHIVED-kyrrah Guest

Celena wrote:
    No, and I suggest that you specifically not buy Lithin's or that other dude's books about making lots of money. Seriously trying to sell a book for 100p. I hope it's obvious to people what that's all about.
  6. ARCHIVED-Mikkahl Guest

Shruikan@Nektulos wrote:
    The game is down now so I can't confirm this, but I remember if I examined a player-written book, then examined again the icon in the examine window, it told me what kind of blank book this was written on (Hidebound, etc.)
  7. ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion Guest

A few things...
    1. I am also having stacking issues but it seems to be with blanks. I put blanks on the broker and they show 1 on a line. The authored books appear to stack.
    2. Previewing content is an interesting thing but if you can read all the content on the broker, why buy the book? Its the reason magazine stands dont like people loitering around reading the magazines. Giving you a character count doesnt really help either. It is definitely buyer beware, watch for good authors. Over time they will definitely evolve to the scholars of norrath you will seek out.
  8. ARCHIVED-Cocapez Guest

Mikkahl wrote:
    *lets out the almighty, oooohhhhhh......* I just checked and yep if you have the examine window up for a written book, then hover over the picture of the book in the corner it does tell you which style it is, but had you not said anything and I not tried it I would have never knows, though I still say would be nice to see that on the actual examine window instead of hovering over for a tooltip on it.
  9. ARCHIVED-Whilhelmina Guest

random thought...
    Were the books that didn't stack made by a different sage ?
  10. ARCHIVED-Bratface Guest

MrWolfie wrote:
    I mentioned it because my books are all stacking just fine while being dropped onto the container icon, no need to get snippy. Can't imagine why it works fine for me and not you /shrug
  11. ARCHIVED-Celena Guest

kyrrah wrote:
    *SNORT* Lithin was talking about it in level chat the day he put it up, point blank telling folks what he did and why. Someone else who said they did the same thing said they sent the money back to a toon who actully DID buy the book.
  12. ARCHIVED-PsychoKitty Guest

Ok, we have hit a problem with the books at the moment. I apologise if someone has mentioned this already but I couldn't find it.
    One of my guildies just wrote a book. Problem is, the way she views it is different to the way 2 others view it. As a result, all of her formatting is 'off' when we read the books. We see large gaps between words and page breaks that are too early.
    When she reads books written by us she has the same problem. Our formatting seems off to her.
    It seems to be a player setting and not a character setting because all our characters see things the same way. Can someone please fill me in on how this is happening, why and how to fix? If someone knows of course.
  13. ARCHIVED-Lord_Ebon Guest

Pusska@Permafrost wrote:
    Are you using different UIs? (IE are they using a custom UI and you not, or vice versa, or using two different custom UIs?) That is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that would cause this.
  14. ARCHIVED-kyrrah Guest

Celena wrote:
    Yeah I was on that day. In fact when he announced the book title I remember asking if the inside said "Suck less." and if the price was at least 100p. It's his thing I suppose. Kinda like that person selling basic elm chairs for 11999p.
  15. ARCHIVED-Whilhelmina Guest

Random things I found out :
    - using smoothed fonts or normal fonts shows a different formating
    - using normal fonts on different resolutions is showing different formating (I'm in 1024x768, hubby is on the resolution just above and don't see the same formating on my books, using the same fonts and same UI)
    So I fear there is no way to get a formating working on all computers settings, regardless of special UI.
    I made a stacking test and found out that the same book copied on a blank book made by a different sage doesn't stack.
    IE : I usually use the books made by Lugorey, my sage. I bought a blank book from another sage (Parchemin) and copied the book. The same book, with same title, stacked with the "Lugorey" books when it was copied in a book made by "Lugorey" but the book copied in the blank book made by "Parchemin" didn't stack with my pile of "Lugorey" books.
  16. ARCHIVED-PsychoKitty Guest

Sorry, I must have missed an email telling me the topic was updated.
    I will have to look in my options tomorrow for this smooth font option
    Different resolutions was actually my first thought but surely there has to be a way to fix this so that we can all read books the same way? I mean the game itself works around all that right?
    Are we able to have a dev comment on this please? I think that's actually fairly important, I don't want to buy a fabulous book that happens to look like rubbish due to a different resolution. Nor do I want people buying my books and thinking that I must be semi-blind :)
  17. ARCHIVED-Lord_Ebon Guest

Whilhelmina@Storms wrote:
    The broker never gets rid of maker's marks. Since theres no way to stack them in your regular inventory, you cannot clear the maker's mark and so the broker will only put them in separate piles.
  18. ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion Guest

Something further to consider as a tag - the language the book was written in. For some this wont matter as we speak all the languages BUT I was approached last night by someone inquiring about the books I had for sale on the broker. I explained I also had copies on the shelves in my house if they wished to puruse them before purchase.
    This individual set up a public library on the server and is wanting to use only RP perspective written player books for the library. In considering their proposal I thought about the little noob toons that may wander in and find books they wont be able to read for quite some time.
    The conversation turned to things such as copying fees, etc but in the back of my mind I kept wondering if there was a way to denote the language the book is written in as well. (and for the record, yes I write mostly in common for GUIDES and such when considering selling the volumes but I love the flexibility of writing in specific languages as appropriate for the RP items and such)
  19. ARCHIVED-Rothgar Guest

Whilhelmina@Storms wrote:
    Good find! You're right, if the maker's mark of the book is different, it probably won't stack. I'll see if I can get that fixed.
  20. ARCHIVED-Rothgar Guest

Artemiz@The Bazaar wrote:
    I thought the language of the book was displayed in the tooltip, but maybe I'm wrong. If its not there, we can certainly add it.