Rogue AAs

Discussion in 'Swashbuckler' started by ARCHIVED-AegisCrown, Feb 8, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Rokjin Guest

The total double attack numbers you will get from Freehand Reversal at Rank 4 (needed for Unencumberance) and Unencumberance rank 8 is 72% Double Attack.

20% from Freehand Reversal (gives 20% at any rank level of it) and 52% from Unencumberance.

This proc rate is NOT normalized it seems, which is how it should be, since a double attack of a weapon with 2 delay is worth twice as much as a double attack of a weapon with 1 delay.

Does not go off on CAs from what I saw, but the Double Attack has a change to go off even if you miss/get parried on your first attack. (IE: It seems to check if a given auto attack will attack twice, then calculates whether it's a hit, crit, if a proc goes off on both swings independently)

This also means you are getting 72% more auto-attacks no matter what, and those have their own proc chances. Essentially you are increasing all your proc chances by 72% as well. I have noticed I go through poison MUCH faster now due to this proc increase rate.

For an idea of this effect, this will turn a 30% proc rate into a 51.2% proc. A 50% proc rate becomes 86.2%...
  2. ARCHIVED-overfloater Guest

Just an animation that was never removed from the CA line (though I'm sure I saw a patch note a few months ago that said it should have gone, heh). The animation is a relic from the pre-revamp CA, which did have a knockdown element from Playful Swipe onwards.
    I still wouldn't pick the double attack CAs based on increased proc rates. After all the trouble SOE has gone to recently to get proc rates consistent across classes and wield types, I doubt they'll let this slip by for long.
    Message Edited by overfloater on 03-19-200603:23 PM
  3. ARCHIVED-Severed Hand Guest

Well.. This may not be the same one.. but [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn]!

http://eq2players.station.sony.com/en/item.vm?itemId=127252
  4. ARCHIVED-AegisCrown Guest

fated cipherblade is the sword with a power regen proc, but it currently is supposed to go off on a beneficial spell and its also broken.
  5. ARCHIVED-iluciferi Guest

yeah it was the cipher blade that i was refering to.
  6. ARCHIVED-AegisCrown Guest

7. ARCHIVED-overfloater Guest

What I mean is, I doubt that SOE intended for the double attack procs to have their own chance to proc. 72% double attack in itself is increasing your DPS. I doubt they intend for us to have more than twice the normal proc rate on top of that. I see a nerf on the horizon, so I'm just making the recommendation that people don't take the WIS line solely because of the increased proc rate in case it disappears. ;)
  8. ARCHIVED-AegisCrown Guest

first respec is always 1s i guess...

:)
  9. ARCHIVED-iluciferi Guest

i actually think they realize its procing off of double attack, but i doubt they change it. and "if" they do i can see them changing it from % chance to double attack to % chance to proc say a 200 dd or something. as it stands double attack is actually 2 independent melee hits, so in reality the second attack doesnt have a reason not to proc, that would be like saying when you have a crap load of haste only every other hit should proc.

as its been pointed out you only see a diff in auto attack dps, nothing major if your spamming CA's. so in raids when your busy debuffing youll see a small increase in the 5 or so seconds your not spamming anything.

but i honestly if they do change it wouldnt expect anything for a few updates. they have plenty of other stuff to deal with.

one the other hand i can honestly see this as a small attempt to balance out auto dps after hitting us with the offhand proc nerf.

and finally as far as this being an overpowered line, there are alot more powerful than this(other classes).... but im not going to point fingers, i think we have all had our fill of nerfs in the last 3 months.
  10. ARCHIVED-Sadaen Guest

NM I read it wrong ;p
    Message Edited by Sadaen on 03-21-200604:32 PM
    Message Edited by Sadaen on 03-21-200604:32 PM
  11. ARCHIVED-tawek21 Guest

Thinking about possible respecs, I've realised that a combination of strength and wisdom lines could give you a very significant increase to your defense skills:

str 4/4/8 (+25 defense)
    wis 4/4/8/4/8 (+15 parry +15 defense, and +8 riposte or parry )
    (total cost 44+1)
    Total: +40 defense and +23 parry (or for attacks from front: +15 parry +8 riposte )

From what I've read, we get 2.50% avoidance for every 10 points of defense, and 1.50% avoidance for every 10 points of parry. So that's maybe an extra 13% avoidance. I don't think a swashie shield will do anything like that.

But I'm unclear as to whether defense now does more than add to our avoidance.

It used to be the case that every 5 points in a skill equated to an extra level. I understand this changed, but I can't find an up-to-date authoritative post that deals with this. Can anyone point me to a thread which analyses the real effect of higher defense in reducing damage?

When a low level mob tries to hit me, he does a lot less damage than when hitting a lower level player. Is this still based on a comparison of the mobs combat skills versus my defense skill? Or is that no longer true?
    Message Edited by tawek21 on 03-24-200602:04 PM
  12. ARCHIVED-Keyh Guest

13. ARCHIVED-tawek21 Guest

Thanks. Yes, you're quite right. I forgot freehand reversal is better than a bonus to the parry/riposte skills. So to correct it:

10% avoid from defense
    2.25% from parry
    8% from freehand reversal

Won't be as much as we expect, as the game compounds rather than adds the various chances to avoid (or people could end up with over 100% avoid).
    My guess is maybe 15% extra. That's still a lot, and makes me wonder if the smaller defense from a shield from the Stamina line makes the Stamina line weaker than it appears.

I got my % from the following great post:
    http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/...forums.station.sony.com/eq2/board?board.id=33

But my main question is what really interests me. Anyone know what the full effect of a higher defense is now? Is defense still what is used to determine how hard different classes hit each other?
  14. ARCHIVED-Keldoth Guest

Did another 180 on my skills and thought I would share, this is the setup I am shooting for now.

WIS: 4-6-4-8
    STR: 4-4-4-8-8

Coule skipped because of the high number of + skill items available and the general lack of orange mobs in T7. 6 in Lunge Reversal because I'll have an extra 2 left over, figure its either that, STR2 strike or + Defense. Defense doesn't really seem appealing and Lunge has no weapon requirement whereas Strike does.

Very pleased with the wisdom line overall in regards to DPS increase, and Traumatic Swipe seems to be a winner on raids and in general with mobs using very high powered abilities.
  15. ARCHIVED-Sadaen Guest

So are you guys saying you are seeing an increase in DPS by going the wisdom route with the 66% double attack chance?

And if you are is it from Procs IE: poison, Hurricane etc? or is it just raw DPS?

Sadaen
    59 Swashbuckler
    Blackburrow
  16. ARCHIVED-Keyh Guest

Sadaen wrote:

So are you guys saying you are seeing an increase in DPS by going the wisdom route with the 66% double attack chance?

And if you are is it from Procs IE: poison, Hurricane etc? or is it just raw DPS?

I haven't parsed any lately but theoretically with the increase in auto attack damage and procs through autoattack, there should be a decent DPS increase.
  17. ARCHIVED-Rokjin Guest

Using basic math, I've posted I think both here and on Brigand boards, that 8 points in Unencumberance will give you a 29% raw DPS increase from auto-attack. This is not counting the 72% higher proc rate (including Hurricane) and the extra DPS from Hurricane proccing Double Attack, which can also proc procs.. I've hit 3 mobs that I was fighting 2 times with poison, each.. Was the level 50 max upfront damage poison, so I ended up hitting each of them with: 2 auto attacks, 2 procs of Poison damage, so.. approximately 700 damage each, per mob, times 3 mobs.
  18. ARCHIVED-tawek21 Guest

I think I'll respec from Agility to something similar, gonna wait till I have Sailwind first and try it out a bit before respecing.

I'm not sure about strength 5-Traumatic Swipe. Nice on raids, though with some mobs it might confuse jousting, but I'm more of a group than raid swashie, and mobs usually die too fast for a recast timer debuff to matter.
    I'm interested you think the extra two in Wisdom-2 Lunge Reversal are worthwhile. Looks like that would give you about an extra 140 damage on an attack that procs every 20 seconds (if you or the mob use a defensive skill).

Question to people with the wisdom line:
    • in practice, how often do you find Lunge Reversal is procing?

I'm probably more defensive-minded than most, so the defense skills boost from wisdom-5 Coule, strength-3 Blackguard's defense, and especially the riposte/parry from wisdom-3 freehand reversal look really nice.
    Getting that much extra defense should end up giving me better than the defense skill of a swashie in defensive stance, even though I'm in offensive stance, which would be great when off-tanking.

Questions to people with high buffs to defense from equipment and AA skills:
    • There's a cap on how much you can increase your defense. I believe this is 1 point per level over your normal defense. Anyone around whose reached it and can confirm you no longer get an increase in avoidance after the cap?
    • Does the cap set a ceiling on how high your defense can go, or does it set a limit to how much your defense can be buffed? (If the latter, if in offensive stance your max defense will be lower than when not, because the cap would be hit before your reduction in defense from stance was applied) Should be easy to check by swapping defense gear in and out while capped, and seeing changes to avoidance.
    • (and I'd be very interested to hear from more folk about whether you think defense now has any greater effect than boosting your avoidance)
    Question on strength-2 Torporous Strike
    • This maxes out as a debuff that reduces chances to crit by 6%. I was under the impression that crits occured much more rarely than 6% (unless you have an AA line which increases it), so going to adept 4 would seem to be a waste. Has anyone noticed this debuff having much effect on mobs? Are there mobs out there with high crit chances, where this debuff might be important to reduce spike damage?
  19. ARCHIVED-dagoo7 Guest

Message Edited by dagoo7 on 03-31-200608:23 AM
  20. ARCHIVED-Rokjin Guest

I've been parsing my fights.. and, it's hard to say. It goes off atleast once every 20 seconds MINIMUM. Since it goes off on any of your own parry/ripostes or the enemies parries/ripostes/blocks/deflections, it's pretty much guaranteed to go off once every 20 seconds.
    In reality, it goes off more then that right now. It might be a bug with encounters or so on, but at one point when I was farming Treants in Nek for Treant L&L (at level 50), it was going off on every riposte/parry. In a 30 second fight it went off 10 times. This also sent my DPS through the roof, and I did /bug it then.. Since then it seems to sometimes go off more often then every 20 seconds. May be something to do with different encounters also.
    When it hits, it does roughly 150-300 damage, at rank 4, at level 54 (atm) Next rank shows it going up another 20 or so points of damage on min/max. So it's actually a pretty decent DPS source.