Paladin Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by ARCHIVED-Maergoth, Aug 14, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-outmen Guest

I decided betray to SK until they fix this class.
    I tested on test server today, totally same gear, sk can do 30% dps more than pal then got more useful tools to face massive AEs. so What reason should I be a pal?
  2. ARCHIVED-Cyrdemac Guest

Beiju@Mistmoore wrote:
    Because you would have amends to counter memwiping mobs and heals to counter one-hitting red-messages? :D
    Seriously, to stay a Paladin right now is hard, but if you want them changed, you will keep them and won't switch to the next flavor class, SOE is offering.
  3. ARCHIVED-outmen Guest

Cyrdemac wrote:
    If WE want them change, WE should all betray to SK, then they will know that Pal Really needs some love.
  4. ARCHIVED-Anurra Guest

Cyrdemac wrote:
    For those who have missed Beiju's sarcasm:
    1. Amends doesn't do anything for mem-wiping mobs.
    2. Heals are worthless in raids.
  5. ARCHIVED-Maergoth Guest

Lawrs@Permafrost wrote:
    QFE
  6. ARCHIVED-Cyrdemac Guest

It's my Sarcasm actually :D
  7. ARCHIVED-Sterlin Guest

I think three changes to Pally could make them great.

1. Holy Ground - Give it positionals per hit like the Guardian ability Reinforce (or make this available through a red adorn for those that don't want it.)

2. Demonstration of Faith - Make it self only, 45 second recast, at the 5th level of AA give it a 3 hit stoneskin, and then begin the rune portion after those 3 hits expired.

3. Make Stonewall immune to strikethrough.
  8. ARCHIVED-AziBam Guest

Sterlin wrote:
    Don't forget the range. I'm working from memory but I think it's a 10m radius. Way to small.
  9. ARCHIVED-Bazill Guest

If it was just a straight up positional hate increase per hit the range could be removed. It also wouldn't make the ability OP like it was when it was a 24 position hate increase as it would match that of the Guardian, although they would possibly need to adjust the re-use, i have no clue what the guardians re-use is on their's?
  10. ARCHIVED-Controlor Guest

Sterlin wrote:
    1 - I am on the side that wants either the hate posiions removed from HG or just put it at 3 - 5 hate positions off the initial hit, and leave it as a dps tool. As dropping that dps tool will hurt our dps considerably.

2 - 45 seconds would be too fast of a recast (unless you are refering to it as 90s base 45 cap). The recast it has right now is fine. However i wouldnt mind that the "+20%" aa boost to it (which we all know is only +6-7%) would instead cost 5 points and be a 1 hit magic stoneskin. The restriction to magic based would still help a lot with 1 shotting aoes but not all 1 shotting aoes is magic based (many of the 1 shot tank killers are physical based anyways) so wouldnt be too op. It would also not really break heroic as the 1 hit stoneskin would not be too noticible soloing and the loss of the actual 6 - 7% extra heal would not be noticible.

3 - That needs to happen for all fighter 100% avoid abilities regardless. It is a long missed mechanic that needs changing.
  11. ARCHIVED-Soul_Dreamer Guest

Costa@Nagafen wrote:
    3 min base, most Guards have it around the 1 min 30 though, or very close to it. Reinforcement does no damage and only procs off Melee hits and I think it procs off taunts now as well.
    One thing you'd need to consider in the recast is Guardians only have a maximum of 2 AOE's to proc it with, 1 being from AA's. The recast of Grave Sacrament (SK) is 3 mins and is very very similar to Holy Ground.
    I think you need another snap, but I do think 1 hate position per CA or Spell every 45 seconds or so (recast mods from 1 min 30 base recast on Holy ground) for 13 seconds is asking a bit much, especially when you consider youhave triple the number of AOE's compared to the Guardian. You'd be able to have it up for every round of adds as long as the spawn time is around the 45-50 second mark. 3 min to match the Guardian/SK recasty would be fine I think, you would then need to tag on the +Hate positions to the SK ability though.

I would like to see SK's and Paladins have a ~20% HP ward, that you fill with your heals/lifetaps. Basically any heals or life taps that don't actually heal you, overflow into this ward. Means you can Heal/Tap to fill it before these AOE's to take the edge off. Throw on a decent magical Stoneskin or something onto your ward and I think it would be gtg?
    I only have a Pally Alt who I solo and mess about on, he's never seen a raid zone so while I can't comment first hand, I have raided for 5 years as a Guardian with the same OT SK, and we had a Pally for 3 years.

Strike through needs to be added to all abilities :(
  12. ARCHIVED-ChaoticDecree Guest

I just recently started reading these boards again and I read through this entire thread to see what all the other Paladins think of our situation. I've had some good laughs at the sarcasm here, and a few of the trolls that tried to derail the otherwise great thread. It's quite obvious that we have a couple of serious issues. It's also quite obvious there are only a handful of people that play this class in challenge mode raiding. I'd like to sign my name on this petition and be added to the few names that are still weathering out the storm.
    As the current state of our class has been pretty much beaten to death for 25 pages I don't have anything significantly new to add. There are a lot of good suggestions already posted here and Boli and Maergoth have some great write ups about the finer details of our issues along with good, balanced suggestions. Many good contributions have been made by others as well.
    If I could be so bold as to summarize our issues (for the 100th time) it would break down to two main things.
    1. Spike damage and unavoidable deaths.
    2. Snap aggro after mem wipes or deaths. (See issue #1)
    All the other discussions about hate generation, Amends, DPS, and the comparisons to other tank classes are all pretty much meaningless. Paladins are not able to consistently stand up to the current challenge mode raid content without significant help from other classes. Paladins are lacking a couple of tools to adequately perform our primary job on raids - defensive tanking (MT or primary OT). I truly hope our concerns are not lost to the developers because of the sheer volume of other discussion in this thread.
    A serious overhaul of Paladin direct heals would be a huge step in the right direction for helping the spike damage. There are some good posts here about making heals reactive or ward etc. so they're not wasted and actually become a part of the rotation. Another skill should be changed to become a stoneskin type ability. Arch Heal would be a great candidate since it's a completely useless endline ability now. Maybe changing Devout Sacrament would work as well.
    As for snap aggro the best thing to do would be to completely change an ability to increase positional threat. There have been a lot of suggestions involving Holy Ground etc. but I don't think "fixing" that ability would fix our issue. Taking one positional and making it better wouldn't help nearly as much as adding another tool to the arsenal since that's what we're really lacking; tools to do our job.
    Well that's the end of my rambling for now. Hopefully these posts are being read by the development team and we won't have to wait several months to see changes.
  13. ARCHIVED-Soul_Dreamer Guest

I know I'm probably not welcome in chatting here but ahh well

Unfortunately I don't think the EQ2 devs have the resources anymore to dedicate time to doing a large rework of class abilities (Paladin heals and the like). A large portion of the tank community are in agreement for once though, some changes do need to happen and they need to happen relatively quickly. Tanking in general just isn't fun anymore due to current mechanics, memwipes/co-op strike, stunes, no benefitial, no offesive, killer AOE's etc abilities are tagged onto so many named now it makes our jobs that much harder, and frankly some tanks don't have the tools to deal with the abundance of these effects.

At the very least, tanks need the following to get some sort of balance...
    Paladin - A stone skin/defensive ability to defend against large AOE's, another snap/rework of Holy Ground.
    Zerker - Rework of easily capped buffs (Berzerk especially), a defensive ability to defend against large AOE's.
    SK - Slight increase in defensive ability, another Snap/Reduction in recast of Graves.

ALL defensive abilities to have "Strikethrough immunity" added.
    Brawlers to have strikethrough immunity removed form defensive stance (even a lot of Brawlers agree on this!!)
    A reduction in strike through/debuffs put in game to combat it.

Besides the odd few people most tanks are crying out for the same things, especialy raiding tanks. Tanks don't need tons more DPS, they don't need a lot more utility garbage, they just need the tools to do their jobs.
    IF, and it's a big IF, SOE want 4 or so tanks in a raid to be the norm then other changes will be needed to up DPS while not tanking or to add raid viable utilty. Before that's even thought about though there are 3 tank classes out of 6 really struggling and frankly they need changes.

Again, sorry I'm posting in this Paladin thread to those who don't want me here. I'm posting here for the same reason I'm posting in other "Tank Balance/Issues" threads, fighter mechanics need some tweaks, and some fighters especially need more tweaks than others.
  14. ARCHIVED-Maergoth Guest

You're welcome here, it's np.

The only thing I disagree with is the fact that tanks don't need more utility.
    I don't think we should take utility away from other utility classes.. dps buffs and such should primarily be theirs. However, there are a lot of utility options that haven't been properly explored. Recapture is great, but stuff like combat mastery should be bard / chanter territory. Moar tank-oriented utility would be wonderful.
    Most raids roll with 3 tanks, but most fights require 2. To be useful during those fights is an important part of keeping offtanks happy.

Everything else.. 100 times yes. LC being on a faster recast helps substantially, but there are still a ton of times I'll die with saves running. There's no reason the most unreliable of saves are reserved for a tertiary tank, who will only need to use them in already dire situations.
    I can't even use amends on HM Sullon because the passive hate on the named prevents me from using my ONLY unique snap. This situation is becoming more and more frequent. Thanks co-op.

ADDITIONALLY. I never put much thought into the itemization counter to our class.
    CAST SPEED, The COMPLETE removal of cast speed from fighter gear is asinine. Seriously. SERIOUSLY. WHY? I don't even need to go into this, it's blatantly dumb. I'm using my old SF boots almost full time because they have 12 cast speed.
    SHIELDS, primarily are the culprit. We've been hailed as shield oriented tanks, hence our block chance. However, as shields upgrade, they only gain block chance, not protection. This means our slight advantage is diminished less and less as other tanks get more and more along with us. If we had 100 shield effectiveness, and someone else has 50, our advantage is reduced by half by us getting to 150 and other tanks being at 100.
    ADORNS, I saw an adorn today that was so contrary to our class it was absurd. There is a war rune that dropped from hardmode Sullon that had a 50% chance on death to prevent death, with a 10 minute cooldown. This works best for classes that don't have a maintained DI, because it also has a chance to be wasted along with other DI triggers. The same problem was mentioned with Hand of Death when it was put in the game. Why reinvent the problem?
  15. ARCHIVED-Boli32 Guest

Blocking as being a "pally thing" has been made uselsss when they made +defence and +parry useless in raids; which I think happened in late DoF or KoS before we even got the increased block chance.
    And crusaders; if they cast long cast spells; should have cast speed itemised; this has been an ongoing issue for a long time... anyone else remember the 2s judgement and 3s refusal?... we used to do more dps *not* casting them.
    I'm waiting for eq3 tbh (or even eq2 NGE); there is so much fundamentally wrong with the mechanics with this game; and pallys in general right now that I cannot see any improvement without a serious overhaul.
  16. ARCHIVED-Loxosceles Reclusa Guest

That's really the heart of the problem. The fundamental combat mechanics that this game was designed upon are critically flawed and have been since launch. GU13 tried to patch/fix the symptoms of it, but it really can't unless they rewrite/redisign combat completely. In which, case you might as well write a new game.
  17. ARCHIVED-Celestial Knight Guest

Walden@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    I think the Paladin's have come a long way since I started playing one in 2005 and I agree with your assessment that we are lacking necessary tools to adequately perform our duties as MT. I feel like we are possibly one tool away from fulfilling that role.
    What that tool needs to be has been highly debated in this thread, but if I had to pick one I would definitely go with a tool that provides snap aggro during mem wipes.

Live the legend of Tunaria...
    www.aoot.guildlaunch.com
  18. ARCHIVED-tsunewolf Guest

A stoneskin on a 1 minute recast would drastically change the class way more than another snap. We need to be able to survive first before worrying about hate.
  19. ARCHIVED-Maergoth Guest

Getting into seriously harder raid content lately, with hardmode Sullon, Generals, Lichlord and beyond. Our problems just spiral endlessly out of control.
    There isn't a second of my time where I feel in control of my situation. I'm either relying on a lucky ire proc, another tank to cover me for as many AOEs as possible (Which, they should just be tanking realistically), or an add skip.
    And now mobs have a new trick. They spawn with aggro locked onto the primary mob's target. To get them off, you HAVE to snap them. There's no alternative. Add memwipes and co-op to the mix, and you've got a horrible mess every single add spawn. Snap the mob, it memwipes off of you. Don't snap the mob, you risk the tank getting co-opped. Hope it memwipes before co-op gets applied, someone else dies because they're trying to dps the time-restricted add before the second memwipe or ridiculous AOE goes off.
    I like that feeling though. The feeling of constantly being stretched too thin, and perfect utilization of all your abilities to succeed. Except, perfect utilization doesn't allow for Paladin success, and other tanks just laugh at our inability to do the simplest of tasks for them.
    3 tank fights become 4 tank fights, if one of those 3 is a Paladin. So you have to drop a healer or DPS, which significantly reduces over-all effectiveness to coddle a broken class that shouldn't even be allowed to raid.

Emo aside, funny story. I was doing Byzola on the lich lord ring event, and because of having to use amends and our only unique snap being an AOE, I couldn't even hit the named for fear of aggro (This problem is amplified by memwipes btw, in case this is an oversight). Our wizard was complaining about the fear damage shield to me in tells, and I replied that not only am I fear immune, but I can't even hit the mob so I'm not even using it.
    ULTRA FUN BIT OF IRONY: My fearless being useless because all I can do is stand there and wait for adds.

So yeah... the bumpy road gets bumpier. More to come.
  20. ARCHIVED-outmen Guest

Snap issue is a problem for both crusaders specially while mobs moving.