New Player Beginnings

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by ForgottenRunner, Jan 19, 2024.

1. ForgottenRunner New Member

Hello, I have had an account for a long time but never really dove in.

I have mercenary vet reward 10 year and a few other things up to 12 year reward
    I also have chat access (prior silver status?)

What I would like to know is as a f2p player (for now)

. Should I start in qeynos / Freeport to experience things “from the beginning” of the game story?
    . Is this considered what used to be the starter isle? Isle of Refuge?
    . Is there a guide anywhere that would explain how to experience the story in order?

I basically want to take my time in each zone and level lock or what have you. I am in no rush to level vs starting in New Halas / neriak etc.
    For now I am not interested in TLE server and will likely start on majdul as its said to be the highest population - even if that will only mean max level players.

Any insights would be appreciated - I may be playing with 2-3 friends so that should help the desolation =)
  2. Saelfina Member

Hellos and welcome back to EQ2!

MD is a pretty active server and the general chat is usually pretty busy as well. There are, like all the servers, lots of folks that help to answer questions, and yes, there are Trolls too. :D

The boat ride was brought back years ago (and was the "true beginning" of the EQ2 experience), and can land you on the starter islands ((Isle of Refuge). You can complete that tutorial area (one for good, one for evil) and then pick where you want to "live" when you are ready to leave. There are now more "starter" areas than originally provided (Freeport/Qeynos/Kelethin/Neriak/Timorous Deep/Gorowyn). They all offer housing, banking and crafting areas and each has it's own story.

The EQ2 wiki is still a very valid resource, and has a number of categories you may want to review, like Solo Timelines, Dungeon Timelines, Crafting Timelines, etc. We are fortunate to have folks who work to keep the wiki updated as much as possible.

Additional information can also be found at some other websites, such as EQ2u, Eq2 Traders Corner, Eq2 Furniture, etc.

There are some limitations for F2P players, but the community is usually quite helpful with that. There are limited character slots, and some armor/spells are not available (Master quality is, I believe, the highest level spells you can use). You can receive mail, but can't send. Full broker isn't available, and the AA slider is fixed (splitting xp 50/50 between levels and AA's). Information is available on the EQ2 User Guide (eq2.fandom.com/Free-To-Play) that may be helpful as well.

This month was the first month of the Year of Darkpaw, so when you get into game, be sure to go to the Marketplace and find your free pet (who can fight with you!) and some furniture. Additional events will happen throughout the year.

I hope you and your friends enjoy Norrath!
    Twyla likes this.