Lag fixes?

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by hellzelves, Feb 22, 2013.

1. hellzelves Member

I don't have a crappy computer and even if mine is considered crap I know my entire guild doesnt have crap computers. Some of them have top of the line. I don't understand how zones in both instances and avatars can be lagged to the point of completely locked screens. i am sure this is posted in various threads but is there something going to be done about this? the words unplayable keep getting tossed around and makes it so not fun.
  2. hellzelves Member

wow i didnt think those were considered curses? lets say i dont have a bad computer and even if mine is bad lol
  3. Chronus Active Member

Something to help in PoW especially /r_paritcle_priority -1 (0 to change it back)
  4. Loldawg Member

omg the lag is so bad. frozen screen for like 2 and 3 real seconds. one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three mississippi! god tell us that you recognize there is something wrong?
  5. Estal Well-Known Member

Its simply the amount of data that is the problem.
    In order to reduce the risks of exploits soe has to reduce the amount of stuff that actually happens on your end to a minimum, so the data of how every single adorn / stat / proc on how every single piece of gear and every single one of the hundreds of aa's and spells affects the button you (or another member of the group) are mashing next needs to be sent back and forth between the player and soe, multiply that by 24 players, then add the data for the mobs them self, plus everything else that is going on in the world, yep, lag no matter what.
    Unintentional side effect of itemization gone mad.

Then there are the 300 million particle effects that the majority of pcs can't handle to render, just switch them off.
  6. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Yeah, i notice that one, if you watch the traffic meter, it indicates this one, maybe a reason why i got rarely lagspikes as i sit on a 100 mbit line. (ok, router just let 80 mbit pass..... yeak)
    Bolbir likes this.
  7. Avithax Well-Known Member

Loldawg they have no clue how bad the lag is for raiders on Nagafen because they only focus on pvp balance, which adds tons of mechanics. I can 100% guarantee you that no one responsbile for changing this huge lag issue has set foot in a Nagafen raid zone for years much less pulled an avatar and tried to fight at 1fps. This lag is now worse than the old PQ lockups or even the Terens Grasp freezes back in TSO.
  8. Thalador Active Member

POW was horrible last night. On zone in I had about 20fps on extreme performance. When we started the boar fight it dropped to about 12. Once the adds spawned it dropped to 5-6.. I had to go 1st person and look at the ground in order to actually do anything.
  9. Loldawg Member

i seriously am not going to be able to play this game anymore. it's like a slideshow. i dont know what happened but god its really really changed the game playability in a huge way.
  10. Buffrat Well-Known Member

Everything posted about itt is not lag, it's client performance.
    Neiloch likes this.
  11. Neiloch Well-Known Member

When your screen freezes periodically or you get a low framerate, that is a client side problem, not server side. Also neither of those are called 'lag', the periodic freezing is 'hitching' and a dropping framerate is just plain 'low FPS' 'Lag' is when your frame rate is fine but when you click on abilities there is a LAG (delay) between you clicking on it and the ability activating. This can happen even at 100 FPS.
    This is not lag. this is 'low frame rate' and the lag your other players are talking about in PoW is probably actual lag since lots of people experience that in PoW.
    This is not lag. This is a client side issue with your framerate.
    This is not lag. This is a client side performance issue.
    This is not lag. This is a client side problem.
    This is not lag.
    This is at least referring to actual lag and what at least helps cause it.

How the servers perform have ZERO IMPACT on your frame rate unless they are performing so well tons of stuff is happening but your PC can't handle.

Obviously since we all know the servers aren't top notch, its something wrong on your end. Without knowing anything about your computers my bet is too much stuff/bad stuff running in the background, settings too high, or a low processor clock speed.
  12. Loldawg Member

my fps isn't low. i click a spell and nothing happens. a few seconds later, it casts. that is not lag?
  13. Neiloch Well-Known Member

This would be actual lag. But you just made two posts saying 'slideshow' and 'frozen screen.' If you are getting actual lag these are absolutely the wrong ways to describe it.
  14. Loldawg Member

its both. sometimes frozen screen. mostly clicking buttons and nothing happens, then all of a sudden it all happens at once.
  15. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Only way i could see lag making your system lock up is if when playing catch up there is too many things being processed at once that usually wouldn't be. This would get fixed if the lag was fixed so I would just stick to mentioning the lag for now.

Also this just got posted, the changes to bard and beastlord abilities should help with lag.
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...tes-tuesday-february-26-2013.4754/#post-46710
  16. Loldawg Member

actually, strike that. i can still move around. just that nothing happens when i click buttons. its really really bad. never had it this bad, something happened in the last week or so.
  17. Bolbir Active Member

Dosent make sence at all. This is not a client side problem!

Some people having the latest top end gfxcards/cpu/loads of memory sitting of 100 mbit lines, getting this unplayable lag to getting kicked out of the game etc -

to people with + 5 year old computers who rarely dont have any problems at all,

But i most say that the lag have been somewhat better the last days.
  18. Taysa Well-Known Member

No. Just no. There is absolutely zero reason why SoE has business coding encounters that drop an entire raid's FPS to where they have to stare at the ground just to make it remotely playable.

I did WEx2 this evening. We couldn't get past the third named but decided to explore a bit. We went up to where the necromancer usually is and there was a giant swarm of wasps. Just targeting them dropped our FPS by 25. Stuff like this is unacceptable. It got far worse once we actually pulled the encounter.

This game is 8-9 years old. It's pretty much a given that people who actively play EQ2, or games on PCs in general, have upgraded their rigs since release. It's not that our systems can't handle it. It's shoddy, lazy coding. SoE gambled on a notion in the computer industry and they lost that gamble. The burden is on them to create things that are playable. They need to conform to the market, not the other way around. If it means smaller encounters or smaller zones and less idiotic particle effects, weather effects, so be it, but it's their responsibility to conform to the market they stupidly gambled against.
    Luhai likes this.
  19. Luhai Active Member

I noticed this, too. Every time I targetted this encounter my FPS dropped. People also went linkdead on every single bee encounter in this zone when our necro hit ET.
  20. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Why are you guys bringing up FPS problems in a thread about lag? If you are using the word 'lag' to describe FPS problems not only are you using the word wrong you are making it harder to actually solve the problem. It's like insisting you have a flat tire when in reality you ran out of gas. Every solution offered or tried won't work because they have nothing at all to do with each other outside of scrapping everything and getting a new car.

I really hope you aren't saying this if you had your settings towards the high end.

If many people DO have this problem even on lower settings, it is a bug. I'm sure if I go to on of the forums like zones and population, support or even general gameplay there will be a post with you and some others who went in there explaining this problem in detail right? Can you at least tell me you all submitted /bug reports or even a misguided /feedback report? A PM to a dev? Anything?

Also a pretty nasty bug. I'd be submitting these things myself if I ran the place and experienced it but I haven't been through it yet.