Is starting a Paladin in Varsoon server a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Allentanks, May 30, 2023.

1. Allentanks New Member

I just got back into EQ2 after being away for 15 years. I have played other MMOs like WoW and FF14 and usually play a tank. I like the Paladin in those MMOs and they are very good thanks for raids and group content. I have read some of these forums about how bad a Paladin is in EQ2 and I’m shocked to hear this!

Paladin really is the only class I want to play in MMOs and hopefully someone with some experience in the game can tell me the truth about Paladins….thanks for your insight and help! I hope to run all the dungeons and raids and catch up before RoK expansion in August!
    Feara likes this.
  2. Ayonic New Member

I roll a paladin in my 4 box group on Varsoon. I've tried other tanks but they don't work anywhere near as well cause of the strong heals. Better groupwide heal than dedicated healers imo. Good aggro generation & ae abilities. Pretty good as a raid tank too. But it's not great for soloing like an SK or brawler. You really need a support crew. Great class otherwise.

If people think EQ2 pals suck, they've never played an EQ1 pal. This version is lightyears better. I prefer this pal over what I played in wotlk classic recently.
    Feara likes this.
  3. Smashey Well-Known Member

All tanks are fine. Paladins fine.

Amends makes your life as a tank much easier.

Paladin makes for the perfect alt tank too because you wont struggle much with aggro vs mains with better gear because of Amends.

Amends is underrated.

Amends, Amends, Amends, Amends.

Also Fearless Morale is super OP.
  4. Priority Well-Known Member

A few things.

All tanks can tank, tanks are not "fine".

Amends is good.

Fearless Morale is not OP, Caith screwed up itemization and groups were never meant to have as many issues with the ONE mob it really mattered on. We were supposed to have had the immunity runes long before that point, he just chose not to do his job and make sure drop rates were correct.
    Arclite likes this.
  5. Aull Active Member

Personal opinion here.
    All things being equal paladin is possibly the best fighter for overland groups and dungeons. They have more aoe combat arts/spells than a berserker at least until zerk gets level sixty. Should be equal to SK in this area as well. These toons are excellent in target rich environments.

Nice aa choices to enhance abilities. Heals and rez. Combine with gear paladins can be very beefy.

I wanna say that back when the game was young there was an all paladin raid that conquered Death Toll during the later part of Kingdom of Sky. No other sub class ever did this that I have read about.

So yeah paladins are great.
  6. Allentanks New Member

Thanks for the replies, I will stick with my Paladin then!
    Feara likes this.
  7. AngryConjy Active Member

yes I have switch mages to about 10 pally's after years of not being able to t do sig lines I am capable.