How exactly is mimic supposed to work, anyway?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Allumette, Jan 9, 2024.

1. Allumette Member

Given the looming change outlined in the patch notes, it would be great to get a more in-depth explanation of exactly how mimic is supposed to calculate its damage, which has always been a bit of a black box of mystery.

According to the description, it’s supposed to “instantly copy the damage the target inflicts,” but I’ve gone through acres of logs and never found a single instance of my mimic damage being an exact match to my target. I have seen examples of two enchanters using mimic on the same target at the same time putting out the identical damage, right down to the decimal point, which suggests it is dependent on the stats of the target, not the enchanter.

Either way, without knowing more about the math/mechanics involved, it’s effectively impossible to determine how this change will actually affect the output.

So, to circle back to the underlying question: What, exactly, is mimic mimicking?
  2. RubyHOF Member

For what its worth, they did a similar nerf like this to RO/VC long ago.

It completely ruined the spell to the point that a large amount of bards don't even take it anymore. The ones that did took it, took advantage of the left side spec.

I hope the same isn't going to happen to mimicry.

At least in Mimicry's case it should be an exact damage copy, maybe at a 80% effectiveness. ie, if it copied a 1000dmg hit, 800 would be the mimic.

I worry that It's probably going to get double dinged by combat mitigation like other things have. (that was another thing that ro/vc was eaten by)
  3. Jrox Well-Known Member

RO/VC was a lot of fun during KA Epic 2.0 (Thulumbra). If I am not mistaken, was the last time it was good. Used to run with a Troub who was spectacular. It was a lot of fun seeing how it worked and seemed to really define the class. Wish it still worked for you guys.

I left the Illy because Mimic was all they had. With zero adjustments to the class and now this, Illy's are done and cooked, lol... At least Coercers will still have Puppets, not that it matters, but it's something.