How do tinkered tools work?

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Hartsmith, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

I'm relatively new at tinkering and have crafted some of the tools for my other crafters (carpenter, tailor, etc) and have noticed that the slot says "charm (optional)". I take it this means the tool only needs to be in my inventory, but does it also mean I can have multiple tools of the same type stacking the bonus?
  2. Deveryn Well-Known Member

I think that's actually a display bug, when it says charm (optional) because the class specific tools all say the effect activates when equipped. The harvest tools, however, don't need to remain equipped to activate the effect. They only need to be attuned once and you can then have them set to auto-consume (activate).

Tools with the same effect don't stack.
  3. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

Thanks for reply. Just transferred over to my weaponsmith and tried it out (after locating the tradeskill mods under the stats tab of the Character window). Placing/attuning a second tool in the charm slot did not stack any bonuses. Also, the bonus remained effective even after swapping to different charms but disappeared when tool was placed in the bank. Retrieving it required only temporarily placing it in the charm slot.
  4. Meirril Well-Known Member

A lot of the gear for harvesting and crafting works that way. You need to equip it once and then leave it in your bags. If your character gets reset for some reason (like AA being reset) you'll need to equip and swap those same items again.
  5. Akina_Storms Active Member

tinkered tools does and doesn't stack.
    you can't stack 2 tools with the same bonus, but you can stack 2 tools with different bonus.
  6. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

You can also stack the woodworker crafted harvesting kit with the 3 tinkered harvesting tools.
  7. Meirril Well-Known Member

I think you only get the harvesting speed reduction from the highest. The bonus to harvesting skill will stack.
  8. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

It was a sad day when casting speed stopped affecting harvest speed :D Oh, my wizard could harvest in about .25 seconds back then.
    Shmogre likes this.