how do I get a familiar other than marketplace?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by jaxus, May 10, 2017.

1. jaxus New Member

how do I get a familiar other than marketplace or proving grounds?
  2. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

They can come from the chests for Kunark Ascending missions and Public Quests as well, and come in a "Familiar Cage" that is fully tradeable until it is unpacked.

~Mum
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  3. Uxtalzon Active Member

Yeah, got one from a PQ yesterday. It does not lower chances of other rewards, but comes as a rare addition to whatever you'd normally win.
    Xianthia and Prissetta like this.
  4. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

If I spoke to the people in the crusader cave near the reforging and mending, is there something else I have to do to get these crates to show up?
  5. Niami DenMother Well-Known Member

Do the missions, pray for a drop ... it isn't overly common.
    Mizgamer62 and captainbeatty451 like this.
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

Make sufficient sacrifices to the gods of RNG :p
    captainbeatty451 likes this.
  7. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss a quest to get it started. I wasn't able to play yesterday and won't be able to do much other than raid tonight, so I'm going to be behind in these side things until the weekend. So are they just part of the game now, or do you have to actually start a quest?
  8. Mermut Well-Known Member

You don't need to do any quests to have a chance at them, no.
    captainbeatty451 and DoomDrake like this.
  9. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

yep! 536DBC and it yours!
    captainbeatty451 likes this.
  10. Mysstie Well-Known Member

I got one from the Obulus Frontier PQ.
    Prissetta likes this.
  11. Shmogre Well-Known Member

There is also a quest from an NPC near the Battlegrounds/Proving Grounds zone-in that will reward a familiar. The Proving Grounds are a bit buggy right now, but it's possible to still get the reward.
    captainbeatty451 and Prissetta like this.
  12. Majinnoone New Member

Funny thing is I got a drop in Unrest the other day while farming it with my alt. So far that alt is the only one with one,
  13. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

What do familiars give you to make them desirable?
  14. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Potency, AGI/INT/STR/WIS buffs, crit bonus overcap, and some have procs as well. If you go into your Character sheet, there should be a tab for "Familiars", you can hover over each one to see what they offer.
    Prissetta likes this.
  15. Freakycruz New Member

I've received one while questing in Withering Lands (a grasshopper looking thing) and another on an alt in Darklight Woods (a drake) so they are definitely available outside of KA
    Zeddicious likes this.
  16. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

...and be sure to loot the corpses of the mob. The familiars I've looted have been on the body, not in a treasure box. I've been scouring around looking for more - found some in ToT/ Zou-Leidas - the leafhoppers will drop a familiar. Granted, they're not the fabled / etc ones, but hey - a free stat boost is always welcome in my book!
    Febrith, Juraiya, Enoibia and 2 others like this.
  17. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Ok, and they are most easily obtained via the Marketplace, or do people just suck at finding them so far? Are the ones from the Marketplace better than your average monster drop?

Sorry, trying to determine the exact level of P2W here, if any.
  18. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

darklight wood vampires drops one.
  19. Shmogre Well-Known Member

The only difference I've seen so far is that Marketplace familiars sell for status, while "in the wild" ones sell for gold (not sure if it's an intentional thing or a bug). I've seen people get drops that have the same stats as purchased ones, which is a good sign.

(T Familiars tab in the Character sheet separates the Familiars into four different levels; each level has the same base bonuses within it, and the top two levels (orange and purple outline in my UI) have different procs on different pets. Hopefully someone who has gotten those higher level ones can tell us if they were "natural" drops or marketplace (I'm really hoping they are all available in-game somehow).)
    Prissetta likes this.
  20. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Really?