Gulaep's EverQuest II Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Gulaep, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Gulaep Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. :)

I thought I would try and do a short video about my spreadsheet that I use for EverQuest II.

This video does not go into much detail about how each of the individual tabs work or anything like that; I will save that for another time. In the future I will make two videos for each tab of my spreadsheet, one will explain how that particular tab works and it's various features, and the other video will show you how you edit it to add more columns and whatnot for any additional characters and accounts that you may have. But for right now this video here just shows me doing some of my early morning tasks that I do each day in conjunction with using the spreadsheet of course.

I must warn you, this is the first time I have ever made a video for online purposes and as well, the first time I have ever tried editing a video. There will no doubt be some noticeable newbie mistakes that I hope you will overlook and give me a pass on. I do not have a video editor so I had to use some freebie ones which of course had many limitations in use. There were some things I wanted to edit even more but because of the freeware/trial versions could not. So please, no need to point out my mistakes I beg you. :oops: I am completely aware of all of them for I have watched this a million times already and picked up on every single one of them. :(

I should also note that I am hard of hearing and have been since childhood. I have about 80% hearing loss in my right ear and maybe about 20% hearing loss in my left. I bring this up because you will undoubtedly hear some slurring of certain words. I try not to with some pauses and purposeful pronunciation but it didn't always help. This is one reason I hate using voice chat in game, I often have to tell someone I could not hear all that they said. What a pain!!!

Also, I did not have anything written down beforehand (I should have) so I did not have a script to read off of or anything like that. So yeah, lot's of pauses and "uhhmms". Sorry! :p The first 2.5 minutes or so are a bit slow getting started. /shrug

Anyhow, here it is. It is 23m43s in length. You may have to choose the 1080p high definition option since it may default to less I guess.

I can only imagine how bad my slurring of words were back when I used to drink alcohol some 16+ years ago! Yikes! :D:eek:

I hate the sound of my voice!

EDIT: I forgot to show page 2 of the main Adventure tab so here is a screenshot to see what more is included there.

[IMG]

Yeah, yeah...you try saying "Santa Glug Gift" five times fast! lol :D I totally choked trying to say that!

~ Gulaep 'BeSlurrin'
    (Mark)
  2. Gulaep Well-Known Member

Good evening everyone! :)

Well, what started out as a morning project with an expected finish time of perhaps three hours ended up taking all damn day to do! Let's just chalk that one up to newbie experience again shall we? I am telling you now, I totally butchered this video with edits; it's brutal! Hehe :D It's as bad as a scratched vinyl record where the needle hits the scratch and the words and sounds totally don't match up properly. Yikes!

I should have just uploaded the raw video as shot in it's full length of 1 hour 07 minutes and just said, "Deal with it!" But noooo... I had to go and mess with it in an attempt to reduce the video time. I did manage to shave off 21 minutes, so that's something I suppose; but it is bad. :p LMAO I did however save you from many places where I fumbled with words or "uhhhmmms" or dead air or whatever goof I did. So I'll take credit for that at least. ;)

This is a 47min25s video of me showing the main two tabs of my EverQuest II spreadsheet that I use each and every day. I tried to explain how the different parts worked and how to use it and I also explained how to expand the tables to add more rows for each of your characters and your accounts. I cannot make videos or edit them worth a damn, but I hope you can have faith in my spreadsheet abilities! I hope you find this as useful and as easy to use as I do.

If you have any questions about it, or if I forgot to explain something, or if I didn't explain something good enough - just let me know with a reply here in the forums.

Enjoy! (the spreadsheet)

~ Gulaep
    (Mark)

Note: This video just recently got uploaded to Youtube. As of the time stamp on this post, please allow at least another 2-5 hours (I'm guessing) before Youtube processes it properly and finally makes it available in 1080p high-definition. As of right now it most likely only shows up in 360p which is...well... cruddy!
  3. Gulaep Well-Known Member

I was so tired last night I forgot to mention that you can download Gulaep's EverQuest II Spreadsheet v2.1 from my forum profile. I mentioned this in the video but forgot to write it as well.

~Gulaep
  4. Gulaep Well-Known Member

... 'sup! :rolleyes:

I was fidgeting around with the spreadsheet today and I finally found the culprit that has messed up my Excel color palate for two years now! I have been stuck (kind of) using a color-scheme for my spreadsheets that I was not entirely happy with.

A couple of years ago when I was using Excel 2010 I had a color-scheme I liked and I used it all of the time. Then, when I started to use Excel 2013 - I merged my 2010 sheets with that of a 2013 sheet and my color palate got messed up; then it was made even worse when I went from that hybrid and started using Excel 2016!

In all that time I was too lazy to fart around with it and sort it out, I just didn't want to deal with it so I sucked it up and just suffered through it and used that pile o' mess I was left with. :mad: Well... lately when I started to release my spreadsheets piecemeal to all of you here in the forums it started bugging me again because I still didn't like it and I didn't want you all to think I liked that crud personally.

Well, I finally got it straightened out and all is back to normal now. So I went ahead and updated Gulaep's EverQuest II Spreadsheet to use the new (my old) color-scheme. It's a noticeable change for sure. I think the colors "pop" now in the sense that they are not so bright; therefore in my opinion they are easier to see. They use a mid-range hue for the most part (not too bright, but not too dull either).

On the off-chance that you do not like it, I included a new tab for you to look at. It shows samples of the Office Themes and Theme Colors available to choose from. I did not show every option available, only the ones I liked personally. You are free to choose for yourself of course and change the Office Theme and Theme Color to something you like better.

Gulaep's EverQuest II Spreadsheet v2.11

Here are a couple of screenshots to show the new colors in use.

Adventure tab page 1:
    [IMG]

Trade Skill tab page 1:
    [IMG]

Themes & Color Palates:
    [IMG]

The download link in my forum profile has already been updated so you can grab the latest version there.

As always, scan your downloads! :eek:

~ Gulaep
    (Mark)
  5. voodedoo Member

Thanks

I do not run multiple accounts like you do, however I do like to use spreadsheets to keep up with alot of things so I will use this to help with some of my in game tasks.

Good job
    Gulaep likes this.
  6. Gulaep Well-Known Member

You're welcome and thanks for saying so.

If you haven't done so already there is a pretty awful video that accompanies this post, trying hard to show how to use it.

It's just important to note that any cell that has a date in it, no matter how it is formatted to display, needs to have the full thing entered such as "1/12 9:10 p" to give you "Tues, Jan 12, 9:10 pm". Even if the cell displays it as "Tues, 1/12" it still needs the whole shabang since precision comparisons for conditional formatting depend on it.

~ Gulaep
  7. Gulaep Well-Known Member

Doh! Too late to edit my last reply. :(

I forgot to say again, though I think I said it in the video, that Copy & Paste Values will be your friend when using this spreadsheet. The standard Copy & Paste will wreak havoc where conditional formatting and borders are applied.

It may also help to add some extra Excel command buttons to the top of your Excel window.
    (If you want or don't have them already).

[IMG]

1. Calculate - to force a spreadsheet update.
    2. Evaluate - to see a formula work itself out when trying to find where in a formula an error may be hiding.
    3. Paste Values - pastes the value of a cell without all the other junk (formatting etc) with it.
    4. Clear All Filters - clears all filters applied to an Excel table (Slicers, Filter Buttons, & right-click cell Filter-by commands).
    Just click that tiny down-arrow button you see next to #4 above in the image to open your "Configure Quick Access Toolbar" and set the drop-down menu option in the pop-up window to "Show All Commands". That would be the easiest way to find everything you may want to add to it.

~ Gulaep
  8. Naeen New Member

I would like to get and use this spreadsheet can anyone help?
  9. Sucha Active Member

Naeen, the links to download it are right in his signature.
  10. Naeen New Member

I tried to follow the links and I get the message this link does not work anymore to contact the owner.
  11. Sucha Active Member

Ah, sorry then. That player may have quit playing - it appears his last post was towards the end of January that I was able to find.
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

He said he was going to take a break in January and I haven't seen a post from him since.

Cyrrena
  13. Naeen New Member

Xirena likes this.
  14. Gulaep Well-Known Member

Sorry for the very long wait in replying. I never meant to be gone so long, I love this game a lot!!! When I took my "break" from here I dabbled and got sucked into the Candy Crush series of games and we'll, I started making a huge spreadsheet for them too! lol

Anyhow, besides getting sidetracked in those games, my mom died Aug 18th and my dog Lady and I have been homeless since. I managed to buy an 8" tablet a few days ago so I am only now getting back online.

I only just heard about the links to my spreadsheets being broke, I don't know why that happened. I left everything on my MS Onedrive account. Hmm, does that link shortening website Bitly still exist? I was using their link shortener to get links for all my spreadsheets and other files for download/sharing. I used them because they had a click/download counter. That's the only thing I can think of as to why the links broke. So sorry about that and this long delay. I still have the last versions of all three (or was it four) Everquest II spreadsheets I made and wrote about. I'll look into that soon and get you all some new links!

I sure wish my life didn't change so drastically, among other things, I miss my desktop pc and Everquest II! Unfortunately as of now, I won't really be able to do any spreadsheet updates because Excel on an Android 8" tablet is hard to use and we'll, I'm using the "free" version since I can no longer afford the monthly or annual subscription rate. My spreadsheets had some features from the paid version that the free version doesn't have.

/shrug

The best I can do is to stay in touch here, chat with some old and new friends and fix those darn links for you!!!

Bye for now.

~~Gulaep (Mark)
  15. Meneltel Well-Known Member

gulaep, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. May your life get better soon, I hope. *hugs* Just know you have friends here.
    Prissetta, HaphazardAllure and Gulaep like this.
  16. Gulaep Well-Known Member

Thanks Meneltel!
  17. Gulaep Well-Known Member

Well folks, I don't know what to tell you! I checked the download links for all three of my spreadsheets (Everquest II, Harvesting, and Frostfell) and they all work fine for me.

Make sure you are using the download links from my profile page! It is the group of links above the real life picture of me and my dog Lady. Click my name underneath my forum avatar image and that will take you to my profile page. When there, click the "Information" link (tab) and scroll down until you see our real life pictures; the download links will be right above those pictures of us.

I did make one mistake though and I don't know how that got past me because I am perfect in everything I do (that's a joke btw) -- but apparently my Frostfell v1.12 has the download link to v1.11. Hmm! Good enough for now though. I'll get the v1.12 version linked in time for this year's Frostfell but keep in mind I won't be able to add any of the new stuff that gets added for this year (or anything I may have missed from previous years). Someone else (or you!) will have to make the updates!

~~Gulaep
  18. ziboo New Member

Thanks Gulaep (Mark!). Much appreciate you checking these. Must be an ID10T error on my part! (ziboo from Twitter!)
    Gulaep and Prissetta like this.
  19. Adevil Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your mother, Gulaep. I hope you found something to be thankful for yesterday, and a good hot dinner for you and Lady both.

Here's hoping things start looking up again really soon.
    Gulaep and Prissetta like this.
  20. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I am deeply sorry for the loss of your mother, I feel the pain the same today as when my mother died in 1999 and her mother the day after her. I also understand your situation with having no home and possessions. Arizona is a vicious place to try and live, the assistance run-arounds are a nightmare. I hope things get better for you and your dog. I wish I was in a position to assist you.

Cyrrena
    Adevil, Gulaep and Prissetta like this.