Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'Non-Gameplay Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Tayne, Apr 27, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-TommyDaGreat Guest

Bought it. Played it. Experienced how shallow it is. Already missing EQ2.

The best MMORPG's I've played are definitely Fallen Earth, Everquest II and Planet Calypso.

All of them are unique and have addicting concepts.

While GW2 is nice and refreshing, it doesn't have the addicting factor so much and the story is horrible. Also the loots are generic and boring so far (Don't know how it as at higher levels), but I don't get anywhere the near sense of accomplishment when I get an item there that I get in EQ2.

All different procs and new attributes as you level in EQ2 keeps each tier of weapons/armor a fresh experience, whereas in GW2 it seems to just be regular stat increases. And the stats that do exist in the game have poor explanations so you don't really know what they do, whereas in EQ2 you get everything readable and clear.

I don't mind having two screens of text to scroll in EQ2 to check my stats, if I know what it does in the smallest detail.

Looked forward to GW2 but it is a bit of a disappointment.

The only thing I like with it is that it's very easy to find groups, whereas in EQ2 I STILL haven't found someone to make the first quest in Skyshrine with me. I am behind a lot because of that.

But EQ2 has everything GW2 has not. Story and lore, art design, varied locations and environments, massive amount of dungeons, CONTROL OVER FIGHTS, tons of quests, house keeping, racing...

And besides, once the novelty of GW2 is over, the group finding will again become an issue.
  2. ARCHIVED-Ciara52 Guest

I don't think there will be a group problem as you say since it's open events. To me the story is not "shallow" as it continues the story I know from GW1. Also there were two books which came out that filled in the blanks :) over the last year.
    It's not for everyone. But even befoe it launched I was tired of EQ2. And the list of what I am tired of is to long lol.
    Either way I'm not going to compare EQ2 to GW2 or any other game. It is what it is. And the whole point is to enjoy yourself.
    For now I am enjoying myself. BTW just for fun I enjoy Aion also LOl
    Whatever game to play just remember it supposed to be fun.
    I won't bash any of them even though I could
  3. ARCHIVED-Trinral Guest

Pixiewrath@The Bazaar wrote:
    Sounds like you're hooked on EQ2, and your critique of GW2 stems more from your addiction to EQ2, than genuine assessment. GuildWars2 is not "everything EQ2 has + some extras". It is a completely different game, and one that has not had 64 game updates, along with hundreds of smaller patches.

Are you trying to say you're impressed by low level loot in EQ2, and feel accomplished when you get it? Umm? Are we playing the same game? Borked global stat revamp which still has hundreds of problems in EQ2? A lot of items that the script missed, or are unequippable, or have incorrect stats? Hello? Low level loot in EQ2 is terribly bland, script-generated, and gives the satisfaction/accomplishment level of zero.

The art in Everquest2 has been brutally criticized by external reviews, as being bland, mundane, and soulless. Others, praise it. Like anything art related, it will always in the eye of the beholder. What you think is the most amazing thing ever, I might be inclined throw in a dumpster with the rest of the trash (and visa versa).

Mechanics wise, the stats in EQ2 are not nearly as well explained as you allude to (for a game released in 2004). There is a combat mechanics thread which was made by Xelgad, which has not been updated in over 2 years, on the grounds of being too complicated.
    Link being : http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=481258
    Yep. Too much effort to maintain documentation with accurate information of how the stats work and interact with each other, because they continue to change. I am sure as GW2 goes through a few GUs/Patches they will provide more streamlined, relevant information.

But, if you like Aether Racing, and decorating houses, EQ2 is a great place to be. EQ2 is ahead on the house decorating scene.
  4. ARCHIVED-Shandor Guest

uhhmm... Should i say "welcome back to EQ2" already or should i wait 1-2 month?

Well .. doesnt matter.. bring me a Souvenir when you come back.
  5. ARCHIVED-theriatis Guest

Hi,
    Guild Wars 2 = NCSoft.
    Never, never, never Ever.
    After getting hacked in Aion (in the great Hacking Wars a Time ago) a LOT people lost their Characters,
    Money, Equipment only to get told from Support (after 3 weeks of waiting) "to start anew" and "sorry, your fault".
    SoE at least recognizes that you were hacked (at that time) and restored everything after 2 days.
    So don't bother.
    It's like starting to play EQNext after being sold out to P7S1 in EQ2. Just won't happen.
    Regards, theriatis.
  6. ARCHIVED-arohanui Guest

Have it. Love it! I still love EQ2 as well, its not an either/or situation for me. I have let my EQ2 account lapse to silve, but I do plan on re-upping at some point. There are features in each game that I enjoy too much to be able to pick a favourite. I've been really impressed by the level of communication coming from anet, it's a refreshing change. Contrary to all the crying online (especially their fb page,) my experience has only been positive. I've only had lag issues once, and only come across one bugged quest. My little asura ranger is lvl60, so she's been around a bit now. My hubby has a lvl80 sylvari engineer and still has plenty to keep him occupied. This game is certainly not for everyone, but I find it fun!
  7. ARCHIVED-Assid Guest

eq2 has a special place in my heart, and I dont expect gw2 to take that spot. Im just hoping that it will keep me interested, since sony is forcing me to abandon eq2.
  8. ARCHIVED-BeeJay Guest

Sixten@Crushbone wrote:
    +1, and an old, experienced Boss of mine once told me never to go out your way to loose customers, it's much easier to keep them than it is to find replacements.
    EQ2 has the immersion, lore and content that GW2 has yet to put in place, but even so, given the PSS1 deal, I'm prepared to give up on EQ2 and SoE. Not sure if GW2 will be my new home, but for the moment it will suffice.
  9. ARCHIVED-Drupal Guest

Wytcher@Crushbone wrote:
    That's business 101. Soe failed there miserably and clearly does not understand this point.
    They keep dreaming about the milions of new customers they will get.
    They did the same when they were dead set on F2p and kept making a point how f2p is the answer to everything and how we will be flooded with new players. Of course the reality was a little bit different and the game is in worse shape than subscription days. They managed to lose a huge proportion of the paying customers they had at the time with that and the way they handled everything. Worse than everything they did not learn anything from that fiasco, learnt nothing from the SWG fiasco either.
    SOE still thinks they know better than their loyal paying customers and kept doing things their way without consulting with anyone. The result of that is very clear I'd say.
  10. ARCHIVED-Tallisman Guest

And, let's be honest: the timing of the P7S1 transition and GW2 release could not have been worse for Sony. I wonder what the numbers are? Really? I'm willing to bet a good many Euro's/UK'ers have waved bye bye to SOE/Sony.
    Also. to those who said the gameplay is shallow, I beg to differ; I've not had as much immersiveness since I left my MUD, years and years ago. Don't get me wrong, EQ2 is good, just not as good.
  11. ARCHIVED-Tayne Guest

Yeah not quite sure where the "shallow" comes from either. There's so many layers, I suspect it's because they haven't played long enough or don't fully understand all the levels that are available.
    You get xp from chopping down trees (or any harvesting in general), xp from crafting (something I've wanted EQ2 to do forever), xp from discovering new zones, xp from straight fighting/questing. On top of that there's lore and storyline for each zone, PLUS your own personal storyline that gives you multiple options on how it will unfold.
    But to each their own. GW2 is a great fit for me, it's completely engrossing to me, but I suppose others might not like it . that comes with the territory of every new game that launches. Some love it, some don't. But after having literally tested and played every major new MMO out there, this is the first one that completely captures my imagination and attention.
    For those who raid, while I haven't tried it so can't comment on officially, there's World Vs. World epic battles. And while I'm not level 80 yet (perhaps someone who is can comment?), the skill challenges at that level I'm told are pretty intense.
    What's great about what one poster said was a big "zergfest" .. is that you don't have to stand around for hours while a raid gets organized. Everyone in the area jumps in to fight the epic/meta event boss. Eventually one player starts to organize and indicate how to take down the mob, and everyone there starts to follow suit to get the big guy down. It's actually quite refreshing to see -- random strangers coming together to fight one mob.
    Better still, if you're hitting away at a mob, and another player comes along and hits that same mob, you don't lose anything. And the other player gets xp/quest points too. So no more mob stealing, no more angst over it. Seeing another player come and beat on the mob you're fighting is actually a good thing -- you both walk away with the same xp and quest points.
  12. ARCHIVED-Raffir Guest

I used to think the EQ2 maps addy was the greatest invention since sliced bread. But now playing on totally undiscovered maps in GW2, I realize what a disservice the EQ2 maps has done to EQ2. I know it didn't used to be that way, but that was before my time.
    There is just something to be said for opening up the maps of a new game. You don't know what lurks over the next horizon. I've toured the entirety of EQ2. Except for some raid zones. But open world...all of it. And GW2 is pretty much mostly open world pve.
    Grouping just seems to happen naturally in the game. And de-grouping also as players hare off to other horizons after joining together to take down a boss. If you like a rigid, structured raid or group...then the way GW2 is set up is probably going to bug you. If you love soloing and joining an occasional group where your efforts are appreciated for the time you are there, then GW2 might appeal to you.
    Some complaints on the game say there are not enough buttons (strikes, spells etc). Having been playing the game for a bit, having 30 buttons to mash while constantly moving would be an incredible distraction. If you stand still in GW2 combat, you are probably gonna die over and over.
    I love EQ2, but I've just run out of content that appeals to me. Once you've hit endcap with multiple toons...the only thing left is raiding. And I just don't have the time for that.
    Raf
  13. ARCHIVED-Ciara52 Guest

All I know is that Thief is everything I've ever wanted in an Assasin type character :D
    And my Guardian oh yes darn fun to play!
    It took a bit for me to get used to the group events but everyone is really helpful with rez and team play.
    I think it's brought back the fun factor that I lost some time ago :)
  14. ARCHIVED-Raffir Guest

Some things never change....how long have we heard how the MMO fanbase craves challenge and difficulty. Geez, you oughta hear em whine about how hard some of the instances are on GW2. Having read this stuff here for years about how MMO'ers truly crave challenge in their gameplay, it borders on hilarious to hear the complete opposite there.
    So much for that theory.
    Raf
  15. ARCHIVED-Assid Guest

there are no challenging and difficult mmo:s anymore. there is one situation in eq2 where you can show off some skill: in raids. eq2 used to be a challenging and difficult game, now its very watered down, even with all those skills available. weak mobs and op characters does that.
  16. ARCHIVED-Tallisman Guest

Sixten@Crushbone wrote:
    Now, I can't say hand on heart that this statement is true but, from what I hear, there is a mode you can select (exploration?) that makes a dungeon crawl difficult in the extreme in GW2.
  17. ARCHIVED-Ciara52 Guest

Tallisman wrote:
    If it's like Hard mode in GW then yes it's very difficult. I did a first mission in GW in hard mode and got whacked all over the place. And that was with heroes not henchies. But the rewards were very great! I'm not up to lvl 20 yet even rats but anyway I heard the lvl 30 dungeon is hard. I don't know if I can kill the ghosts of my old comrades from GW1 but maybe I can close my eyes lol
  18. ARCHIVED-Ahlana Guest

Ciara52 wrote:
    The dungeons are not hard so long as you people dodge and roll and use their abilities well. People think they can face roll the dungeons like they can everything outside of the dungeons, which isn't the case.
    Explorable mode is super hard (I am impressed, I truly thought there would be no challenge in the game. Well played GW2... well played indeed). The only real problem with this mode is the Risk vs Reward system is non-existant. The gear you get can be gotten else where with less challenge (but it has unique looks). So if you want challenge for the sake of challenge than Explorable is the way to go. Other than that there is no reason to do them. I however enjoy the challenge /shrug
  19. ARCHIVED-Freejazzlive Guest

Sixten@Crushbone wrote:
    Were there ever?
  20. ARCHIVED-Assid Guest

gw2 got several top reviews now.