GPU Shadow Maps Disappearing Problem

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Classified, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Alkinisra New Member

I ended up playing with gpu shadows off as well. Instead I activated all other effects and set everything on max. Game looks pretty good even without the shadows, though it is a shame we can't use them. I am as well a stickler for graphics but between those anomalies and a good gameplay I defenetly can close an eye and do without the shadows.
    NrthnStar5 likes this.
  2. Corruptus New Member

Hello all! I don't know if anybody is still experiencing problems with the shadows, or still seeing the weird glitches... but I've found that if I unchecked all the special effects (depth of field, sun rays, and ambient occlusion) shadows will for the most part display correctly without having the weird artifacts popping up when you turn certain angles. Hopefully this helps everybody. It's a shame I can't use all these effects WITH the shadows, but I can do without those things much more than not having the shadows.
  3. NrthnStar5 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you've seen an improvement. I have had all those special effects off for a while but still have shadow issues. It's very zone dependent. I've turned shadows off and have had them off for months now. While at first I was bothered, I don't mind now because overall the graphical experience is much less glitchy for me.
  4. Araxes Active Member

Ambient occlusion see-through is a separate issue from the GPU shadows disappearing/appearing. I turned ambient occlusion off to get rid of that strangeness, but I have other issues with ground shadows.

Still no shadows at all in Greater Faydark. Loses much of its atmosphere without them.

I need to itemize more specifically the problems I run into while running about but disappearing/reappearing shadows based on angle you are pointing camera is basically the main issue.
    NrthnStar5 likes this.
  5. NrthnStar5 Well-Known Member

I agree, this is the main issue for sure. The other issue is with certain mounts. Any mount that has high particle effects will shadow very oddly. For example, the griffon mount that's sheathed in flames. With shadows on, you can essentially see the border of the particle effect. It looks terrible. There are other mounts this affects as well.

Overall, I've discovered that I'm happier with no shadows vs. shadows with major glitches. Would love to see them work on it, but I highly doubt that will happen.