For My Loving Husband... [IMG Heavy]

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Sapphirius, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Rotherian Well-Known Member

I have to ask, and I apologize if this is getting too personal, but is it classic autism, or one of the disorders that falls within the autism spectrum (such as Asperger's Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorders, etc.)? If it is the latter, both of my sons fall into that category, and only time will tell if my two-year old daughter will, as well.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  2. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

I don't mind a bit! I'm a big huge fan on my daughter and talking about her is always good. Sent ya a pm so we can dish.
  3. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

Well, Asperger's is no longer a distinct classification. This according to the SpEd teachers at my school. Everything is now "Autism Spectrum Disorder/Syndrome." To me there's still a difference. C'est la vie. Perhaps we should start our own little support group for gamers who have autistic children. Lord knows that there are times when I just need someone to talk to who understands what it's like. I don't need to be told by family members with no clue that I just "need to take him over my knee."
    Avahlynn likes this.
  4. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Possibly. However, every name I could think of would have an acronym that looks like it would sound like someone clearing their throat when they have an over-productive bout of rhinitis:
    • Gamers with Autistic Children / Gamers With Autistic Children - GAC or GWAC (which isn't much better).
    • Gaming Parents with Autistic Children - GPAC. o_O
    • Adult Gamers Caring for Autistic Children - AGCAC. :eek:
    One thing is certain: if we do start the group, somebody other than me should be in charge of naming it. ;)

Oh. In case I didn't mention it earlier, the house is amazing.
  5. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

I'd love a support group like that! A place where people didn't tell me "she seems fine this week" and "I don't really believe in those sorts of labels for kids" (meaning an autism diagnosis). >.<
    Athenia and grlnxtdr like this.
  6. grlnxtdr Active Member

My Mother in law Keeps telling me that I need to MAKE My daughter talk and Use the Potty, and that I should stop blaming everything on the Autism. And I've had people look at me Like I'm a losey Mother when my Daughter has thrown herself down on a concrete Floor and won't stop banging her head. Usually when I tell adults that she is Autistic, they Just nod their heads and walk away, but sometimes I have trouble with other kids on the play Ground who come up and ask me why she is being so Rude. I try to explain to them that she just doesn't function the same way they do. A few kids usually end up trying to be nice to her and try to get her to play, but every once in a while we have a problem with some Kids trying to bully her because they think she is being mean to them. She was twirling around on a play ground once, and accidently knocked a Little boy over. His Brother got really mad and wouldn't stop chasing her around. I tried telling him that she didn't mean it, it was an accident, but he was very angry. We ended up leaving because I didn't want to confront him when I didn't know where his parents were.
  7. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

Well, I dunno. GWAC sounds mighty amusing, but then, I have a slightly dry sense of humor. :p

GrlNextDr, that's pretty much been my experience... only make the boy 10 years old.
  8. Cynara Well-Known Member

I will gladly host a forum for you all to have to use at will, being the adopted-aunt of Avahlynn's lovely daughter and all :)

PM me if you are interested in this.
    Sapphirius and Avahlynn like this.
  9. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

A forum may be a bit much for just 4 or 5 people (so far). A channel in game, or FB friending, or even using an IM might be more appropriate, but oh, it would be so nice to talk to other people going through this that I know won't also judge me for gaming. PM incoming.
  10. grlnxtdr Active Member

I am on Facebook, if anyone wants to friend me there, IM for the Info. And I love talking to other people in the same situation I am in. I am very fortunate with my Daughter, as she doesn't have a lot of the complications others seem to have with Autism. She eats a wide variety of foods, including spinach and Broccolli, although when it comes to sandwiches she pulls them apart and eats everything seperately. If I order a Salad for myself in a restaurant, she'll eat half of it. We did have problems with violent breakdowns a few years ago, before she was diagnosed and for a short while after, but once we found a medicine that worked, she settled down really well. Her biggest problems now are that she is Nonverbal, isn't Potty trained (She'll be 7 in March), and still occasionally has problems sleeping. She does speak a few words with Daddy and me, and with her teacher at school, but she never talks around anyone else, and she has the Funniest voice, so if you aren't paying attention you might not hear the words she is saying. We are hoping that in the near Future she will talk more openly and more frequently. We are also Hoping that soon we'll get here Potty trained. Even the teacher at school has trouble getting her to sit on the potty.
  11. grlnxtdr Active Member

Oh, and How about MPWAC (MMORPG Players with Autistic Children)? Can Pronounce it IMPACT
  12. grlnxtdr Active Member

I just had an Idea, need to talk to someone who can work something up for the Player studio pretty quickly. An In game Item with the Autistism awareness Puzzle piece, Perhaps a shield, or a tapestry, or both...
    Sapphirius likes this.
  13. grlnxtdr Active Member

Well, an item from Player studio is out, it's against the rules, but they sound like they would be willing to work up something from the Devs to help raise awreness. Crossing Fingers that now that the idea has been planted the Devs will figure out a way to make it Happen!
  14. grlnxtdr Active Member

Well, an item from Player studio is out, it's against the rules, but they sound like they would be willing to work up something from the Devs to help raise awreness. Crossing Fingers that now that the idea has been planted the Devs will figure out a way to make it Happen!
  15. Sapphirius Well-Known Member

Oops, double post, and boo hiss about the player studio bit.... but yay! I'm glad the devs are looking into this. Thanks for keeping us updated on it. I have a feeling there's a lot more than just the four of us with autistic children.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I know there's a way to do "private" chat channels that can go cross-server, like Antonia.Bayle_Homeshow (please, correct me if I got that wrong; I can never remember how the punctuation goes); is there any way to that sort of thing here in the Forums, short of requesting a thread get stickied, re: gaming folks with autistic kids? It might be cool to see if the game itself has any positive, helping effect on the kids. :)

Uwk