FIRST LOOK! Caster's Realm has the new Dirge helm!

Discussion in 'Dirge' started by ARCHIVED-Kendricke, Jun 4, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Protosome Guest

I have to wonder if the fabled class hats that drop from the mob in Labs will also have the option to change the graphic since they are not from a quest npc.
  2. ARCHIVED-Morvik Guest

god all those hats look gay and i have a guard and a dirge how depressing....
  3. ARCHIVED-Annis Guest

Personally I think it looks great. Looking forward to getting it with my ratonga. :smileyvery-happy:
  4. ARCHIVED-Elerrina Guest

I like the style of that hat. Not sure how good it will look on my Iksar Dirge though :p
  5. ARCHIVED-Ellrin Guest

So now im Frank Spencer...quality :smileysad:
    Heres hoping the relic is a little better.
    (apologies if you dont know who Frank Spencer is, im English)
  6. ARCHIVED-Zarzu Guest

yea i just saw that -.- time to open a whine thread...
  7. ARCHIVED-Laromor Guest

Please get rid of the orange stuff covering our hair. That is the part of the hat (atleast in my opinion) that makes this creation hideous... no offense towards the creator. Changing the color of the hanging bits on the hat wont make me like it any more... just get rid of it please.
  8. ARCHIVED-Lordviperscorpian Guest

Exactly.
  9. ARCHIVED-mungo Guest

ooheehoo monsieur weeth this beret spoiling us you eez

I can't wait for the onion string neck piece and the striped jersey :)
  10. ARCHIVED-Belaythien Guest

That's one horribly ugly hat.

I don't know why since T7 most armor looks so disgusting. Seriously ... you can tell by the colours of their armor if someones raiding or not. Looks like a clown? Yep he's raiding!

And now a leopard cap? Maybe it would look better without that orange ... thing under the cap. The only reason why they've put that there probably is because they can't handle hair with hats and had to hide it.

No matter what the stats are I won't be caught dead with that ... THING :smileymad:
  11. ARCHIVED-Kendricke Guest

Helms don't cover hair - they replace it. To my knowledge, there are NO helms in the game that allow for hair as well for technical reasons.
  12. ARCHIVED-Kendricke Guest

It's a dead ivy etching.

Have you see Dark Elves? Some of the Ogre hairstyles? How about just Gnomes? Hair sticks out all over the place in Everquest 2. How do you design a helm that only covers part of the hair, without having the rest of it sticking through the helms? Oh, I'm sure it can be done...eventually...but how much extra time should be spent on the concept?
    Current race/gender/alternate model combinations alone account for just 56 different combinations...and there's typically 10 or more hairstyles for most of those combinations - or roughly 4-600 different hairstyles which would need to have "helm" versions included...and that's PER HELM.
  13. ARCHIVED-Lindar Phamoncry Guest

hey now... I have the patriot spikes... they would stick a foot out of the helm lol

though the short pony tail in the back would be cool... understandable why something like this hasnt been implemented though

and you also forget SOGA models Kendricke... so double your number
  14. ARCHIVED-Kendricke Guest

If I had not counted "SOGA" (alternate) models, there would only be 32 race/gender combinations (16 races, male and female for each). By the way, there aren't alternate models for Ratonga, Trolls, Iksar, or Frogloks...so simply doubling the combinations wouldn't have worked. :smileywink:
  15. ARCHIVED-Priestbane Guest

SageGaspar: I just recently noticed (with Androw, a dirge on my server) that the swashy hat that we were using actually has a completely different model based on gender. The small pointier on the females; the broader, one side dipped on the males.
  16. ARCHIVED-Belaythien Guest

It's not anywhere as complex as that. Not every helm needs a new hair design. In fact there are only very few classes of helms that would share a hair design. They tried to make it better on the current dirge quested hat. If the currently orange hair would have the correct color it would be all I want.

Software design isn't about creating every single possible instance of something. In fact most hair styles share a common base that have a few decorations on them. Don't draw those when a hat is worn et voila ... not 100% perfect but plausible enough and better than bald head or those ugly rims :smileyhappy:

It's not really that hard ... but the SOE way is always the easiest way out ... and it's ugly as hell.
  17. ARCHIVED-Kendricke Guest

Really? Is that a fact?
  18. ARCHIVED-EvilIguana966 Guest

Can somone tell me, please, what in the hell that is supposed to be? I mean the mage hats were supposed to be a pointy wizard hat, even if they didn't look very much like it. The **** hats are based on a robin hood style hat even though they end up looking like rigid monotone plastic. However with this hat, I have no idea what the artists were using as a reference or inspiration. I've never seen anything like this, and I'm hoping maybe somone can show me where a beret glued to a metal headband exists in the real world.
  19. ARCHIVED-Salmastryon Guest

It's a scottish Tam attached to a metal head band. :D Actually, l've seen things like the metal part of the helmet somewhere before. I just can't place it atm.
  20. ARCHIVED-Krescendo Guest

Quote: "I think both versions are rather goofy and don't look so hot.. "
    The understatement of the year.
    Makes me thankful for the hide helm option.