eq2 vs wow on msnbc.com

Discussion in 'Community News' started by ARCHIVED-Zapdafish, Dec 18, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Zapdafish Guest

2. ARCHIVED-Eldred Guest

Interesting. My personal take:

WoW: up.

EQ 2: down.
  3. ARCHIVED-Adam95GTS Guest

4. ARCHIVED-PhookaEQ Guest

Seriously tho is WoW any good? my server being down for like 48 hours is pretty ridiculous im not to into EQ2 anyway and alot of my friends went to WoW. Anyone play it yet? Can we get some real gamer insight on how the game is?
  5. ARCHIVED-TimboSilvermist Guest

Very interesting read. When I decided to come back to MMOG's I had to choose among EQ, EQ2, and WoW. Even after reading this, I still feel I made the right choice.
  6. ARCHIVED-fergusonj1980 Guest

WoW is a ok game if you are a fan of the Warcraft series.

I played the beta and I only spent 2 hours in it cause I got bored of doing the same thing all the time.

I am not going to swap to it as a result of anything that has happened to the servers recently.

I am still thinking whether I want to pay best part of $15 a month for this level of incompetance however.

46hours down and counting..........
  7. ARCHIVED-_Summer Guest

I beta tested WoW. In my opinion I think EQ2 is better, downtime and all. I am not a hardcore player (every night, several hours a night) and don't find myself held back at all in EQ2 as the article suggests. I liked the graphics in WoW and in EQ2. I like the fact that in WoW you don't need to beef up your system (had to make an upgrade or two for EQ2). The biggest reason I chose EQ2 over WoW was the difficulty level. It was nothing to advance through WoW. It is a bit more difficult in EQ2. By the time I had chosen my class and done a few quests in EQ2 I had a pretty good understanding as to what I was doing. However, in WoW I was still lost after many levels as to what to do and when.

I played EQ1 for several years and part of the thing I hated with that game was the huge amount of hours you had to put into the game just to get somewhere. Questing wasn't a big thing really other then epics and some gear. I like how in EQ2 it doesn't really matter. You could do both at any time. WoW basically lets you do the same, but I find the questing easier to understand on this game.

However, the couple things I really liked with WoW was the auctioning system. It was much like EQ1's but better. I also liked the mail system so you could send messages, gear, money to another player (for a price) regardless if they are online or not.

Basically what it boils down to is: If you want an easier game where you can advance through levels like crazy go to WoW. If you want a bit of a challenge stick with EQ2.

Just my 2cp worth.
  8. ARCHIVED-Biscuet Guest

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I chose everquest 2 and I intend on staying here. I try not to even waste my time reading these type of reviews because they are all opinion.

Biscuet
  9. ARCHIVED-Metebolic Guest

I just don't quite understand why people who like WoW so much are still posting on EQ's forums. However the biggest mind bender is people who are actually in the game shouting about how better WoW is. If the game is so good why are you in some other game and not playing it? Just a thought. I personally picked EQ over WoW due to the more unique class/race combo's and how the graphics look. I never cared for games that restrict you to what race can be what class, if I want to put together a combo that isn't likley to do well due to some attribute then so be it, but let that be my choice. Also, the whole race vc race battle seems even worse than tryin to play with people from opposite towns in eq. Would make it hard to play with friends from RL as you'd all have to decide which side you're all gonna play and then pick class/race combo's accourdingly. Dunno, prolly both good games in thier own terms, but I'll stick with EQ despite downtimes, cause I think most of us have been around computers enough to realize that sometimes this crap happens and there wasn't a thing you could do about it.
  10. ARCHIVED-Mirac82 Guest

You couldnt have said it better. I also played WoW open-beta and I feel exactly the same about it. You'll get bored with WoW real fast and yeah the auction system was nice and handy.
    The downside with EQ2 is that it requires you to have a good system, but you'll get way better graphics in return (atleast imho).
  11. ARCHIVED-Rpgforme Guest

This article is so obviously biased. I got so annoyed when I read it at msnbc.com. Now I don't know whether someone at Blizzard could pay someone to put forth an article, or that someone slanted toward Blizzard games just wrote the article, but I think the article is unfair. I've played WOW on my brothers account and it is the same old mmorpg that I've played over the years. And trust me, I've played most of them. EQ2 is like a breathe of fresh air, new concepts, voice overs, endless amounts of quests.

I don't mean to play the fanboy, but I think the guy was trying to slant EQ. Especially the spectacularly dumb statement about how the system they used could ramp WOW to it's highest settings, but EQ was unplayable. Am I the only one that finds that comment odd?

Terrible article.
  12. ARCHIVED-Saragoth Guest

To put into perspective on why WoW is bad..

You pay a month fee for WoW to play when THEY say you can play..

Basically what will happen in this order is .

1. You install the game
    2. You patch it
    3. You sit in a "login" queue sometimes for multiple hours before you can even get in and play.

EQ2 had a few problems, and I'm sure there may be a few more, but when the servers are up atleast we can log in and play when we want to and not have to wait hours sitting in a stupid queue.

SG
  13. ARCHIVED-Killyaer Guest

You know people, this is the EQ2 boards. If WoW is so much better, why do you bother to come here? Why do you pay to play this game? Please leave EQ2 and go cause lag somewhere else. You would save yourselves bit)hing so much if you would just go play the game that you think is so much better than this one.
  14. ARCHIVED-bookumdano Guest

The simple and only question that needs to be asked is "Do you like this game?" IF so, then by all means keep playing. IF not, move on. Playing one over the other does not increase status nor does it make you a better person. It is about entertainment and that is all it should be. Some do go beyond and build RL relationships out of this community but its intent is "fun driven".

People that log on to tout another game in shouts are attention whoreing. Mommy did not cuddle with them enough. So make sure you give them a BIG in game HUG and tell them that despite their loneliness you WUV them too.:smileytongue:

Or do what I do and tell them to ****:smileyvery-happy: