Elven words

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-MalletMan, Jul 15, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-MalletMan Guest

Was it ever mentioned what Koada, and Feir mean? I know the 'dal part means Elf, Teir means abyss, and Ayr means misfit, but thats it.
  2. ARCHIVED-Mary the Prophetess Guest

From a *very* old post:
    Aicanaro
    meaning: 'flame' (from quest dialog with Cerennhir Aelindel following the quest, Of Fire and Ice: A Codex in Crisis)
    Anto
    meaning: 'mouth' (from quest dialog with Cerennhir Aelindel following the quest, Of Fire and Ice: A Codex in Crisis)
    Arbo
    meaning: 'growth', or 'tree' (Arbo'Un, from a monolith found in The Silent City meaning literally, All of Growth, or from Arbos, The Elddar Tree)
    Ayr
    meaning: 'outcast', 'mongrel', 'misfit', or 'mixed'
    Aros
    meaning: 'rose' (from Aros 'Thalinor (Rosethorn Spire from EQOA lore)
    Cor
    meaning: 'ring', or 'band' (as in Cor Gollor ed'Lhach and Cor Per'Edhel ed'Hegel, 2 rings from Of Fire and Ice: The Flame Disciple's Ring and Of Fire and Ice: Band of the Frost Maiden)
    Curuvar
    meaning: 'magic'? (from quest dialog with Cerennhir Aelindel following the quest, Of Fire and Ice: A Codex in Crisis)
    Dae
    meaning: ? (from the Ewer of Sul 'Dae)
    Ed
    meaning: 'of'?
    Edhel
    meaning: ? (from Per'Edhel [possibly ed' Hel?])
    Dal
    meaning: 'elf'
    Dul
    meaning: ?
    Fier
    meaning: 'wood' or forest' (possibly meaning 'wild' )
    Fyr
    meaning: 'life' (as in Fyr 'Un - All of Life)
    Gollor
    Haeth
    meaning: 'lower', or 'lesser'? (as in Haeth 'Un, a degogatory term used for all non- Teir 'dal)
    Hegel
    meaning: 'frost', or 'cold'?
    Hel
    Meaning: ?
    Holciel
    meaning 'tomb'? (from Holciel Rowen 'Dal)
    Hiz
    meaning: 'capitol' (as in Takish 'Hiz)
    Koada
    meaning: 'high' or 'chosen'
    Lhach
    meaning: 'flame', or 'fire'?
    Myr
    meaning: 'cave', or 'underground'
    Myre
    Parma
    meaning: 'book'? (from quest dialog with Cerennhir Aelindel following the quest, Of Fire and Ice: A Codex in Crisis)
    Per
    meaning: ? (from Per'Edhel)
    Renda
    meaning: 'pure' (Renda 'Dal)
    Rowen
    meaning: 'royal' or 'crown' (from Holciel Rowen 'Dal: Tombs of the Crown [literally: Tombs of the Royal Elves])
    Tak
    meaning: 'city', or 'town' ? (from EQOA maps Tak 'Xiv, and Tak 'Xiz)
    Tal
    meaning: 'evil'?
    Takish
    meaning: 'great city'? (from Takish 'Hiz)
    Teir
    meaning: 'abyss, dark, or night'
    Thalinor
    meaning: 'spire' or 'tower'
    Thex
    meaning: 'leader' or 'ruler' (though possibly just a family name).
    Shenba
    meaning: 'wanderer' or 'gypsy' (from EQ table-top RPG)
    Sul
    meaning: 'desert' or 'sand' (although possibly meaning 'death' or 'undeath' )
    Un
    meaning: 'all of something' or 'totallity' (as in Fyr 'Un: All of Life)
    Xiv
    meaning: ? (EQOA maps, Tak'Xiv)
    Xiz
    meaning: ? (EQOA maps, Tak'Xiz)
  3. ARCHIVED-MalletMan Guest

4. ARCHIVED-The_Cheeseman Guest

What did you use as a reference for "Sul?" If you're referring to the Sul'Dal, I always assumed they were named such due to being followers of Anashti'Sul.
  5. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

The_Cheeseman wrote:
    I was going to point this out as well. It is a more likely reason for the Sul word.
  6. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

isnt 'dar' also elvish? (dragon) harladar etc.
  7. ARCHIVED-The_Cheeseman Guest

The Dar brood is actually a specific family of dragons. Jaled Dar was a first brood dragon, and mated with Harla Dar to produce Phara Dar and Fraka Dar. I believe every one of them are now canonically deceased.
  8. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Meirril wrote:
    It's been quite a long time, but when DoF first came out, I was one of the first people to make their way through the Ring of Fate storyline... Most of it anyway. While groups were just beginning to gather to tackle the group portions of the quest, I Feign Death'd my way through the majority of it and got stopped at the epics.
    Anyway, I think I was the one who first made the connotation to the word "Sul". I do remember for certain that there is no actual explanation, so I could only come up with two possibilities.
    The first being Sand, making them Sand Elves who chose to live in the desert. A credible possibility, even though some of the other elven named NPC's in Silent City had names that better supported their status among the citizens more than just being labeled a "Sand Elf".

The 2nd was indeed because of Anashti'Sul, who we quickly discovered used to be the Goddess of Health, and she wanted to find a way to cure death for her followers. The ultimate result was that they became undead, but they still continued to "live" thier normal lives in dedication to her long afterward. I figured that since they were called Sul'Dal, then the translation *COULD* have some connotation to death, undeath, or eternity. Maybe it means "Eternity"?
    At any rate, it wasn't any precedent that an Elven race might name themselves directly after the deity they worshipped, so I figured that Sul had to have a translated meaning in the Elven language.
  9. ARCHIVED-The_Cheeseman Guest

I can't see any reason why the residents of Ahket'Aken would name themselves after sand or a desert when their city was located in the middle of the great forest of Tunaria for the majority of their living existence. I find it much more likely that they are named after either Anashti'Sul or the Ewer of Sul'Dae, the artifact directly responsible for their undeath.
  10. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

The_Cheeseman wrote:
    This is a very good point. Sul'dal would of first existed before the curse of Ro hit. Considering that the different factions of elves name themselves after what makes them distinctive (Renda'dal = pure elves, Feir'dal = wood elves, Teir'dal = dark elves) Sul would refer to this group's distinctive trait. They lived in secret in the Tunarian Forest, in a hidden and forbidden city. Mainly what made them distinctive was their worship of a forgotten god. The most reasonable explination for the Sul prefix is they took the name from Anashti'sul as was discovered by their Phoenix King in a vision.
  11. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Meirril wrote:
    Not arguing against this, but something tells me the Myr'Dal didn't name themselves Cave Elves by choice.
  12. ARCHIVED-The_Cheeseman Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    They also didn't become cave elves by choice.
  13. ARCHIVED-Mary the Prophetess Guest

Remember, this list was made over 4 years ago, just at the start of the Shadow Odessy, and before all the lore concerning Anashti Sul, or the Ewer was fully revealed.
    I am sure that it could use some updating, so if anyone would care to add any other in-game Elvish words or phrases to the list, or offer alternative meanings to the ones above, then by all means have at it. I am quite certain in the past 4 years many other Elvish words have found their way into dialogues in game.
    That there was not a complete Elvish language at SOE (a la Tolkein) I learned through some private messages from one of the developers. The person was intrigued, but left SOE before any work on such a project could be begun.
    Tolkein based his Elvish languages on Finnish (I believe) but of course his area of expertise was language, and no one would want to duplicate that degree of sophistication for a fantasy MMO. However, UO developed a fantasy language of a couple of hundred words based primarily on Latin roots. Others (*ahem*) have expanded that to over a thousand words (which is enough to allow fairly complex ideas to be expressed).
    If some aspiring linguist out there would like to take a shot at developing an EQ Elvish language, (even if not officially sanctioned), It would be wonderful.
    Good luck, and I would be happy to assist in such a project.

[sorry--typos]