ELI5 EQ2 graphics

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Metalstro, Feb 9, 2024.

1. Metalstro New Member

I recently built a new machine with some decent specs:

RAM: 64GB
    CPU: i7-14700
    GPU: Nvidia 4070
    Resolution: 3440x1440

I turned the graphics up to Extreme Quality, and sitting in Splendor Aerie, I get 50-60 FPS. In Qeynos Harbor, I get 70-80. What am I doing wrong here?
  2. Evilary Well-Known Member

Splendor Skye Aerie seems to be a FPS heavy area. It drops my FPS down a lot on my older PC. I would say you aren't doing anything wrong, it's just the game.
  3. Arclite Well-Known Member

Game is poorly optimised from the beginning and relies heavily on high single core cpu clock speed. Areas with dense foliage (like aerie, faydark) will run poorly. Also any area that is densely populated like home cities will fluctuate depending on where you are.

If you have lots of people standing in those areas, the fps will further drop.
    Smashey and Siren like this.
  4. Skarltar Member

Anyone know if the DX11 port will fix graphical issues and performance at all?
  5. Jiimbo New Member

so far in EQ1 it's done more harm than good -- it wasn't playable for a few weeks from what i heard. here's hoping that's not our case.
  6. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Hail and well met, maybe this will help you?

DXVK / Vulkan can double your fps in EQ2, see most recent feedback here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/eq2-on-linux-and-mac-guide.604032/

Proton / Vulkan makes better use of multithreading and your gpu as it distributes the load accross multiple cores and modern gpus more evenly. This started happenig many years ago after Stefan Dösinger from Codewaevers released the first batch of CSMT patches for all things Wine, and it has only been getting better ever since.

I tested DX11 too and even commented on it in the EQ1 forums, and tbh, no major issues on my end, not even with the brightness / gamma settings that some were having trouble with. Transitional porting issues arising after a major API port like the one we just had over at EQ1 are absolutely normal. EQ1 has been through that very same thing before since it started with DX6, IIRC, and it went up all the way to DX9 and now DX11. Every major mmo that has done the transition from an older API to a more modern one has had these issues, even World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2 (WoW even had a legacy DX11 mode for the longest time alongside the "normal" DX11 mode). That said, I can already see an fps boost on my end for EQ1 by using DXVK (which is taking DX11 and translating it to Vulkan making it even more performant). Performance, stability and even graphical ugprades will be possible over time as these things get sorted out and optimized after the initial port. Angelina actually commented on this in the EQ1 forum and it was said that EQ1 would get new upgraded art taking advantage of the more modern DX11 visual features in the future. I expect similar things to happen on our end, maybe not as "severe" since EQ2 was already based on the more modern API DX9 (versus DX6 in EQ1) right from the start, but don't worry, these things are normal and will get addressed as time goes on.
    Jaden likes this.