Defiler Tips

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Calvinna, May 31, 2016.

1. Reevar Active Member

St ward tank. Group ward. Soul shackle. Cast a bunch of DMG spells to get counts cast st ward. Check Value/time on group ward cast if needed. Cast DMG build counts cast st ward. Repeat is what I usually do on my defiler. Empowered barier is my favourite
  2. Anaogi Well-Known Member

Does Empowered Barrier add up to anything worth writing home about? I'll admit I haven't kept track lately.
  3. Reevar Active Member

At 12 stacks of Spiritual Dominion Empowered Barrier is hitting for around 7mil on my not so super geared Defiler. My Ancient Shroud is only hitting for 4.5-5 mil for comparison so it is def worth having and trying to squeeze those stacks in for free warding.

[IMG]

** edit and yes I know Spiritual Dominion comes from Empowered Dominion but it increments the same as Barrier and has a stack that you can track in the Maintained window.
  4. Anatha Active Member

Could you please explain this a little better. Sorry for being a very slow learner. I want to make sure I understand what to do and not to do in a raid situation. Seems that I just might be using my defiler for raids after all. My guild leader asked me if I wanted to raid last night with her. I said I wanted to practice more in group situations so I felt more comfortable.
  5. Anatha Active Member

I am not good at point and click so prefer macros. could someone suggest a good macro setup for defiler in group and raid situations? Not sure if they would differ. This would include wards, heals, and damage stuff. So a single target ward macro, a group ward macro, single target heal macro, group heal macro, single target damage macro, etc. Yes I know I can read through my abilities and create something but would be curious to know what others are using.

I have been reading through everything and talked some with my fellow guildie yesterday about her defiler. I would be curious to know who is the top defiler in Norrath, not that I will ever get this person's gear, etc because he/she is probably in a hardcore raiding guild, which I am not. We are achieving raid progression but will never be in the same class as Revelations, etc.

My AAs have changed. I did a mixture of Monstuhr, Heccie Thump, and what I already had from a guildie. Any feedback on it would be appreciated.

BTW, I use Darqui Unified so any help with setting up stuff there would also be greatly appreciated.
  6. Vogie Active Member

My assumption was as a healer you target through the Main tank and use your heals/damage spells in whichever rotation you deem best, but certain individual wards do not stack so if you aren't in the MT group you shouldn't be casting them. You can however still target through the tank and cast your group wards/heals as they will hit your group only.
  7. Ckaal New Member

The order in which you cast your wards matter, though. If you lead with the group ward, then the single target wards, a tank will eat up the group wards first and then the single target wards, leaving you to refresh the group ward (not a huge deal except in a few very heal intensive fights).

However, if you cast your single target wards on the tank first, and THEN the group ward, the single target wards on the tank will get consumed first, leaving the group ward up longer in case the rest of the group takes damage. So, my typical ward cast order is generally Ancient Shroud, Death Cries (either both of those macro'd to the tank, or sometimes I leave Death Cries macro'd to me), and then Carrion Warding. Then I start with Soul Shackle, and cycle in Maelstrom, Nightmares, debuffs and DPS while watching all the wards, etc. in the spell timer window.
    Anatha likes this.
  8. Ckaal New Member

Shaman single target wards will overwrite each other, and if you're healing a tank and suddenly your wards are "gone" from the spell timer window, you don't always know if the tank is taking damage at an increased rate or if someone is overwriting yours. Worse, you can't tell the size or duration of someone else's ward easily, so healing becomes a guessing game.

If you're not healing a tank, you should still use your single target wards. However, macro them to someone in your group - maybe someone with lower resists or lower HP. I generally leave Death Cries macro'd to me in that situation too - the longer I stay alive, the better it is for the group.

This way, even if your assist is the main tank, you don't step on any other shaman's wards and can still target the right mobs through the tank or the MA.

I'll generally even macro Dire Balm to the necro in the group for when they get bored and cast Lifeburn - makes the healing easier and I don't have to do a bunch of target switching.
  9. Anatha Active Member

OK another stupid question...how do you macro something to yourself? I only know the very basics of macros.
  10. Ckaal New Member

Right click any spell on your hot bar and choose "Create Macro". Then, just type your own toon's name in the target bar. At that point, it will always cast on the toon listed, regardless of what you're targeting.
    Anatha likes this.
  11. Vogie Active Member

There are 2 ways I know of, 1) there are sometimes an empty box to the right of the spell when you click on create macro, just enter the persons name in there and save the macro it will always cast on that person. Edit the macro anytime to put in whomever's name you wish to cast it on.

The other way is add a command line with /target (insert name here) and it will target them just make sure that line is the first line in your macro.
  12. Calvinna New Member

My cast order: (on inc) st ward, group ward, spirit aegis (mob is pulled) death cries on tank (I try to time this exactly as the damage reduction is important, but it only lasts for 5 seconds) ... if I have more time after spirit aegis is cast before mob is pulled, I start single target warding anyone and everyone, starting with myself; so on pull I usually have around 3 people with a st ward ... soul shackle when spirit aegis goes down, etc.

I don't usually give death cries to anyone but the person who is tanking. A st ward will be enough for everyone else in the group.

Like Ckaal said, because of ward priority, you want to make sure your st ward is cast before your group ward, or else your tank will eat the group ward and leave nothing for your group.

I found wraithwall without the damage reduction and threshold increase to be not so great. The problem that I found with left side is that you're sacrificing the ability to give your group more resists and the chance to reset your HoTs for wraithwall.

I do have a question for those that spec Enhance: Spiritual Circle and Enhance: Soul Cannibalize in the defiler tree. My question is why? Spiritual Circle is a filler spell mostly and Soul Cannibalize parses awful, but that may just be me.
  13. Anatha Active Member

Thank you!
  14. Anaogi Well-Known Member

I'm aware of that. I've also seen the tank go splat because the single-target wasn't good enough, so I hit the group out of caution. I've also noticed less heal/ward aggro through the group ward, which I usually try to cast during the pull. In any event after a few rotations it doesn't seem to matter much.
  15. Anatha Active Member

FYI, I was playing my defiler in a group last night and gained an AA. Now at 347. I noticed that there wasn't a message on my screen saying what was upgraded or whatever. I clicked L and the AA screen showed that I had 19 unassigned points. I clicked to change them and checked but all points were spent. Then I did some digging. I had created an AA spec using some of Herccie's and some of Monstuhr's picks. I checked a few of my guildies defiler AA specs as well. On the heroic tree at the bottom, we can only choose one of the three. Either Avenging Ancestors, Totemic Protection or Spirit Aegis....NOT 2. It screws up how the game is reading the AAs. Heccie is showing 332 spent out of 350 AAs and Monstuhr is showing the same on eq2wire.com. Checked other defiler profiles as well and everyone that had 2 items picked in the last area of Heroic showed the same thing as far as points spent. Either what I said above is true or this is a bug. So if I had to choose only one, which one would it be and why as I am still new to defiler. Yes, she was "level assisted" so that I could get her tradeskill questing done easily at level 100. Now I am actually playing her as a defiler.
  16. Monstuhr Well-Known Member

You can pick 2 endlines in the heroic tree. However, the second one costs you 20 points. The third one then costs you 30 points (if for some reason you want all three). So when it shows you have 19 points unspent, wait till you earn 1 more aa and you should be able to buy the second endline.
  17. Anatha Active Member

I am assuming that you have all 350 points, Monstuhr. However, eq2wire shows you only spent 332 points. That has to be a bug of some sort.
  18. Anatha Active Member

Going through my spells right now and was wondering if anyone can give me advice on what they DON'T use. We seem to have a lot of stuff for our hotbars and I really don't use everything. Trimming down my hotbars would really help in keeping track of everything. Maybe posting screenshots of your hotbars will help me! Yes, I am one of those players that needs a lot of handholding until I get it! :oops:
  19. Monstuhr Well-Known Member

I presume EQ2U is only charging 2 points for the second endline instead of 20. So instead of 330+20 for the second endline; it is registering as 330+2.
  20. Anatha Active Member

Still seems like a bug to me. Oh well.