Crafting gear tab, like appearance gear

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by CoLD MeTaL, Aug 19, 2014.

1. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Would be nice to see.

Otherwise can anyone link me to where they have built a macro to put crafting gear on off?

Do you have to edit it every time you get a different piece of adventure gear?
    Feara likes this.
  2. Feldon Well-Known Member

While we're not getting a crafting gear tab, we are getting Gear Sets which allow you to swap easily. Announced in a Q&A panel at SOE Live.

For now, you create a macro with a bunch of equip steps. This fall, you'll be able to make gear sets that just swap with a single popup menu choice.

For now, yes, you would have to modify macros every time you gain a new piece of gear. It's a pain.
    Kuulei, Malfaer, Finora and 3 others like this.
  3. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Building the macros is pretty simple. You make one to equip crafting gear and one for adventure gear*. You just drag your gear into the macro edit screen, pick left/right or 1st/2nd slot as needed.

*It does have to change every time you upgrade adventure gear, so my personal preference is to only equip single items if I need to, whether it's hand of the maker or the shawl.
    Anghammarad likes this.
  4. Feara Well-Known Member

I would love to see this but I was thinking that maybe it would be to hard. I mean there are stats involved, so I wonder how hard that would be. Maybe just activating one tab could cancel out the other.
  5. Meirril Well-Known Member

The gear sets Feldon mentioned is a more elegant solution. It doesn't add a tab that may or may not add stats or need to be activated. It circumvents making a lot of development decisions that would have potentially negative impact to crafting or adventuring by just making the existing system work easier.

I'm actually more interested if they mentioned anything about a solution to inventory management of appearance gear.
    Spindle, Feara and Feldon like this.
  6. Feldon Well-Known Member

They did. Wardrobe. You drop appearance items into it and they disappear from your inventory. Now your character is flagged as being able to show that item as an appearance, but it no longer eats inventory or bank space.
  7. Meirril Well-Known Member

Cool, it actually feels like that post 6 months ago did something. :p
    Malfaer likes this.
  8. Finora Well-Known Member

Hum, not 100% on whether I like that idea or not.

Did they say if you will also be able to stick regular gear you use for appearance in it? For example, I currently use the green brellium chain as appearance on my ranger, but some times switch it out for other stuff. Would I be able to toss the chain into the wardrobe and recall it later or just appearance only items?
  9. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Appearance will be a separate system to be released next year.
  10. Feldon Well-Known Member

Put an item in the Wardrobe, and I believe that item no longer exists and would be impossible to retrieve, but this feature is many months away so of course its exact behavior is subject to change.
    Finora likes this.
  11. Alenna Well-Known Member

w00t you mean all my apperance gear i bought from SC and made can go there?
  12. Alenna Well-Known Member

have they said how this works like is it one slot per set or do you still have to hold each item in a separate slot.
  13. Feldon Well-Known Member

Gear Sets will not reduce your inventory usage. It just allows you to swap equipment between your main and appearance and your inventory without creating lengthy macros.

Wardrobe next year is when you will start freeing up inventory slots.
  14. Alenna Well-Known Member

thank you will have to think long and hard about what to put in that wardrobe and what to keep
  15. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

But will we be able to use those consumed items on mannequins and house actors? That is why i keep all my appearance gear. XD To dress my dollies!
  16. Deveryn Well-Known Member

It sounds like this wouldn't be possible, at least in the rough way it was described, but perhaps they could have a functionality to pull a person's appearance clothing to use on the mannequin (as they've done with actors copying physical appearance).
  17. Feara Well-Known Member

I wonder what kinda of booger it would be to just simply allow each mannequin to hold the items and allow them to be retrievable. That would free up space and allow you to visually see the stored items. It would totally work for me.
    Deveryn likes this.
  18. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

Oh! make the wardrobe feature account wide, and connect the mannequins and house actors to that! (I bet programmers want to slap me with a fish when I blurt out stuff like it'll be easy... >.>)
  19. Meirril Well-Known Member

Most development teams would want to avoid a situations like this. Introducing an object (tracking 1 object) that holds more items (potentially tracking 11 more items) that each need a complete data field (because each of those 11 objects are not fungible), and you have to expect that there will be players who will put 1500 of these in a house, and they can do that an unlimited amount of times.

What EQ2's dev team chose to do was to introduce 1 object that is slightly more complicated than a normal furniture item (is treated like an NPC with a limited range of appearance changes) and it stores data regarding the appearance of a few items. Appearance is only 1 field instead of all of the data that goes into each item in EQ2. Since the appearance files are loaded in every zone (because player models use them) it doesn't slow down loading time. If you needed to pull up a few hundred nested inventory slots to check and see what is loaded in each one to see if you need to load an appearance for the object...it could cause some load issues. Or they could cheat and do the exact same system they do now for each stored object which would add another data point for each inventory slot introduced but would save on load times.

It is intuitive to have the objects actually go onto the mannequin. When a developer chooses not to do the intuitive solution, there is usually a reason.
    Feara likes this.
  20. Feara Well-Known Member

Ah, so there's the booger. Darn.