Coercer - low level guide? melee? autoattack?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Pliable, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Pliable New Member

So I am not interested in high-level raiding or end-game type stuff. Just simple, casual log in and solo-play most the time.

I left the game a while ago, and coming back there are new things like mages meleeing, spell auto-attack and using wands. And my experience is playing Illies, Warlocks and Necros.

I have never played Coercer before, and the initial appeal was trying to effectively charm solo. But now I hear about coercers meleeing and want to learn more about how this works.

Is this something Coercers only do when grouping? Is this something you move to when you are higher level and have more AA?

Are low level Coercers played by with a standard charm a mob, send in, cast spells until dead method?

Thanks,
    Mal
  2. Gnomad_Madgon Active Member

As an enchanter you will get slightly more DPS from melee, but not a lot more then you will with a wand. This is with points in the first line of the enchanter tree. So I would say try both and go with what you prefer. As a solo coercer there would be less need to melee I imagine. Illusionist on the other hand may prefer to melee to fire off all 5 triggers from prismatic chaos before the spell refreshes. Wands are a little on the slow side 8.0 seconds vs. Two handed melee weapon 6.0 seconds unmodified. Either way you decide to go always work tword soft cap on your stats. Hard to do at lower levels but as you get onto 80s that changes.
  3. Malachy Well-Known Member

The reactant wands are 4.0sec. And TBH the whole melee aspect of coercers is the primary reason I haven't played one. According to other posts on here, looks like many suggest you do forced ranged in groups/raids anyway. Run a parser and see what works best with the gear and AA you have though. Until you are 90+ you should be fine with everything other than epic content, just using the sk or pally merc (get Kenny if you can instead.)

G'luck though, coercers are a very desired class for groups and raids.
  4. Kraeref Well-Known Member

No, not a forced ranged but rather automatic autoattack. To take advantage of both based on a situation :)