"Best" armor/weapon for 10s, 20s, 30s, etc?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by ARCHIVED-Pilot2, May 27, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Pilot2 Guest

Hello, I'm relatively new to all this and I've spent some time digging around through the forums for a while and I'm left with a few questions because the information is so scattered out there.

Basically, assuming cost is no object, what armor should I be wearing at what level? And assuming cost is an object and I'd want to get something a little bit cheaper and quest for better stuff down the line..?

1. From what I understand, in the 10s, the best player-made armor is the Pristine Blackened Iron Chainmail? What is the "best" weapon?

2. In the 20s, again at a relatively low cost, is the Pristine Forged Steel Vanguard? Is this right? What is a step down? What components would I need to give to an armorer (I'm not a tradeskiller but I know plenty) to get this to work for me? If it isn't right, what is? Also, again, what is the "best" weapon?

3. In the 30s, Pristine Forged Feysteel Vanguard? Feyiron if I want to save $$? Same Qs as #2: components? Also, what weapon?

I'm not worried about anything past that, I'm sure I'll have figured it out by then. I've got a Crusader now just finished with Betrayal (dark elf) and I'm about to make a Paladin and I'd like to deck it out if possible. This twinking is a lot more complicated than EQ1, unfortunately.

Sorry, I know its a lot of questions -- maybe if you answer them I'll write them simply I can write them up into a nice little guide that can be referenced in the future..

Thanks!
    Message Edited by Pilot2 on 05-27-2005 07:14 PM
  2. ARCHIVED-jshariat Guest

im no to good att his sorta stuff but i know there are good armor quests in bubleshire ( i think for around lvl 10+ not sure) and then in Qanos harbor for armor quest ( lvl 20-30)
  3. ARCHIVED-Pilot2 Guest

Right, I understand there are quests. Problem is I don't feel like marching through tons of quests very similar to the ones I've done with my other character already. I'm basically looking for how you can best twink out a character to not have to worry about that stuff ~ I'm trying to catch my alt up to the people I play with on my other character as best I can and I figure buying the crafted stuff will be fastest and easiest. That way all I have to do is worry about exp and not chasing some random mobs that may or may not give exp. I'll quest again when I catch up (mid-upper 30s).
  4. ARCHIVED-RStahl Guest

Hello, I'm relatively new to all this and I've spent some time digging around through the forums for a while and I'm left with a few questions because the information is so scattered out there.

Basically, assuming cost is no object, what armor should I be wearing at what level? And assuming cost is an object and I'd want to get something a little bit cheaper and quest for better stuff down the line..?

1. From what I understand, in the 10s, the best player-made armor is the Pristine Blackened Iron Chainmail? What is the "best" weapon?
    Imbued blackened Iron Greatsword will work fine at this lvl for soloing, If you wan to group and MT then get a shield and a imbued blackned iron battle hammer. Keep in mind for all weapons at all lvls you'll want an imbued rare version. All weapons in each tier within each set (1hd vs 2hd) will have the same damage rating but differing attrib.

2. In the 20s, again at a relatively low cost, is the Pristine Forged Steel Vanguard? Is this right? What is a step down? What components would I need to give to an armorer (I'm not a tradeskiller but I know plenty) to get this to work for me? If it isn't right, what is? Also, again, what is the "best" weapon?
    Steel Van with imbued BP and Leggings, Carb is the cheap version. Weapon again an imbued Steel, your really should have 3 - 4 weapons in each tier if you want to do everything 1hd cut and 1hd crush, 2h cut and 2h crush.

3. In the 30s, Pristine Forged Feysteel Vanguard? Feyiron if I want to save $$? Same Qs as #2: components? Also, what weapon?
    Feyseel is correct, same idea as above, also shield wise look for the following imbued (1x's bone, 2x's fir, 3x's oak)

I'm not worried about anything past that, I'm sure I'll have figured it out by then. I've got a Crusader now just finished with Betrayal (dark elf) and I'm about to make a Paladin and I'd like to deck it out if possible. This twinking is a lot more complicated than EQ1, unfortunately.

Sorry, I know its a lot of questions -- maybe if you answer them I'll write them simply I can write them up into a nice little guide that can be referenced in the future..
  5. ARCHIVED-Pilot2 Guest

Thanks, Rstahl.

Question on the shields. What's the common/rare version in each teir?
  6. ARCHIVED-Titaliss Guest

t2 bone, t3 fir, t4 oak, t5 cedar (this was actually in rstahl's post, but there ya go anyhow.
  7. ARCHIVED-Pilot2 Guest

Ahh, yes. I didn't quite get what he meant by 1x, 2x. It was all out of context there. Thanks!
  8. ARCHIVED-Hamervelder Guest

Orc Marauder armor is great for a paladin in your 30's. I had a full suit of feysteel armor, and, upon switching to a full suit of orc marauder armor, I gained over 40 points of stamina and nearly 300 hit points. I can take beatings that the guardian in our group, of the same level, can't take, because he's wearing the feysteel armor.
  9. ARCHIVED-Pilot2 Guest

Kite/Round/Buckler - does it matter?
  10. ARCHIVED-Dwergux Guest

Yes

Kite shields have a higher shield factor (and a higher block rate)

Round shields have medium shield factor (and low block rate)

Bucklers have low shield factor (and very low block rate)
  11. ARCHIVED-Antryg Mistrose Guest

Orc Marauder Amour does not compare to Feysteel. Perhaps you meant Feyiron? Feysteel is made from the tier 4 rare. Pristine, not even imbued it's still quite a lot higher than the Orc Marauder gear. I'm pretty sure it peaks at lvl 40, Orc stuff at 35, so you are going to regret swapping eventually. Otherwise I've been busy harvesting in Nek and EL for nothing !
  12. ARCHIVED-SanJun Guest

Weapons haven't been addressed much yet .. so,
    One of the great weapons in the high teens is a Dwarven X of Cleansing, where X could be a warhammer, longsword, mace, etc. The item has a decent proc for the level and the quest in Firemyst Gulley is an absolute blast. The items may be sold, so if you're into twinking and don't want to quest, just buy one from the broker.
    If you can afford the quest item "Sword of Thunder", probably 1-5 plat depending on your server, you could purchase this quest drop and complete the quest for "Berik's Sword of Thunder". It would be hard to argue another item in the low to mid 20's with better overall stats. Likewise, it may be combined after level 40 with a heritage quest to create a new, more powerful sword, so lifecycle of usefulness is grand.
    Starfall, another quest item dropped from Centuar Hunters in TS, is a great item. The completed quest reward "Starfall" is a very nice one-handed crushing weapon in the upper 20's - low 30's.
    You'd have to quest for Weakened Ghoulbane and ultimately Ghoulbane, but either sword, equippable at 32 will start beating out Starfall's stats.
    The two-handed category offers a lot of choice especially with imbued items that proc in both the crushing and slashing categories. Any rare tier item (steel, feysteel, ebon) crafted into a one or two hander will have decent stats.
    I would start by studying the broker regularly for yellow to orange con weaponary in both slashing and crushing categories to determine the items that will best meet your needs.
    Thanks,
    Kalen
  13. ARCHIVED-Hamervelder Guest

Feysteel or Feyiron - I forget which. It looks just like the Orc Marauder stuff.
  14. ARCHIVED-SanJun Guest

Feyiron is the common tier 4 harvest. Feysteel is the rare tier 4 harvest. Feysteel Vanguard is superior to Feyiron Vanguard. However, there is quite a coin difference in price :)
    Thanks,
    Kalen
  15. ARCHIVED-RStahl Guest

Feysteel or Feyiron - I forget which. It looks just like the Orc Marauder stuff.

'chuckles' Well the OP was looking for what is the best not what looks good, and yes some drop items are better then the crafted items at certain levels. Without looking at the OM BP and Leggings I'd still guess that the crafted imbued (common) items would do a better job in the long run.

Forgot to mention this, the dwarven work boots are better then pristine forged steel sabatons, as is Spindlecogs Helm vs. a prinstine forged steel Barabute (sp?).

Message Edited by RStahl on 06-06-2005 07:49 AM
  16. ARCHIVED-Korzald Guest

Well for weapons I can give you the run down of the best. Both as a weapon smith and paladin.
    For levels 10-20 Blacken iron X ( X= weapon of choice ), 2 quests both a cake walk. Q side only. Snakes skins for Weapons guy in Graystone yard. Gives you a choice of a blackened iron weapon. Good till 20 if you have to. But better to use till about 15 or so. In the same building is a lady that gives a quest for killing blood sabers. Need to kill 4 of them the ones in the first level of down below are fine and con gray at level 10. Weapons are all crushed based but good till 20 and can be equiped at level 12.
    For levels 20 Steel X , Or fire gully quest which can be started at 13 from dwarf at claymore monument. The rare will have slightly better stats but damage is pretty much the same both proc as was mentioned before.
    For 30-40 Feysteel X, Ghouls bane is a very nice weapon even rivals the rare crafted ones but no proc. Can't equip till 32 but your weapon from previous levels should be ok. There is a quest in Zek for the life of me I can't remember which one it was but don't recall it being that tough where you get a pretty decent 1-h hammer. Has the same damage as Weakened Ghouls bane but stats are slightly lower.
    For 40-50 There are several weapons from quests still have not sorted them all out or would give you a list. Of course the ebon crafted weapons are great till you get one of the quests ones.
    And yes it basicly sucks being a weaponsmith when someone can get a much better weapon for free or just spending time on a quest. The rare weapons are the only thing we can make that compare to the quest weapons and some of them just barely or as a filler till you get the quest weapon. The limits to the quest weapons is you only get one type for the quest so if you do choose to keep types of other weapons on you for those mobs that resist other types ( recommend by the way ). Then you get the quest weapon and use that most of the time and then switch off to your secondary weapon if you have to. Can switch mid combat with no problem. As for keeping both a 1-h and a 2-h on hand. I personally never saw the need, I have been 1-h since level 20 or so and never have had a problem with it.
  17. ARCHIVED-HadleysHope Guest

anyone reccomend where I can get "Imbued blackened Iron" armor? aprox cost? (am lvl 13 right now, and in Quenos). Could someone also explain what "(1hd vs 2hd)" means? Also, what is the best avoidance I can expect to have around this level, its at 49 right now as I have a sheild.

Thanks
  18. ARCHIVED-Titaliss Guest

1hd = 1hand, 2hd = 2hand, 1hs = 1hand slash, 2hs = 2hand slash, 1hb = 1hand blunt, 2hb = 2hand blunt. also 1hp/2hp for piercing, but there arent currently any 2hand piercers so piercers are just thought to be 1h, for now.
  19. ARCHIVED-Phattie Guest

The best shield that I have found for level 30+ is called the Guard of Grumm. Its a FABLED shield that you get inside Nek Castle. Look up the quest "Aroma of Undead" on eq2.ogaming.com. It has some really nice stats and the loot table for the enemies is amazing.
    Message Edited by Phattie on 06-22-2005 10:28 AM
  20. ARCHIVED-Coho1 Guest

For lower 30's what about the silvril thats laying all over Zek?
    I got most of set just outside the gates. DWB are better so I kept them as were the gloves I had.
    Message Edited by Coho1 on 06-22-2005 10:26 AM