Wireless headset suggestions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mintalie, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Mintalie Augur

FREE Shipping!
  2. Mintalie Augur

I ended up buying the Corsair, with the good reviews and excellent price point (mine was $84). So far, so good. Nothing life changing, but I can go to the bathroom or the kitchen and usually still hear. My house is cinderblock and they do cut out in the kitchen, only 20 feet away, and sometimes just turn themselves off. That's annoying, but you can't get perfection for cheap. :)
  3. Ceffener Augur

Honestly I feel like the mic sucks on all these headsets, a separate mod mic, blue yeti, etc will make you sound much better in chat than anyone else. (I do a lot of Skype calling where this matters more).

I will say for anyone that ever spends time on a plane/train the Sony WH-1000XM3 (or the Bose equivalent Quite Confonfort III I think) are worth the cost. Super comfortable and helps make a flight more enjoyable. Probably overkill for gaming, but if your the type to just buy one set for everything (whoever as you already got some new cans), is receommend checking them out.
  4. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Is there a type of headset that blocks out your significant other? :D
  5. Mintalie Augur

As mine are solely used for Discord / Vent / TS, and primarily to listen (as opposed to talking), I think long-term this reasonably-priced Corsair will be just fine for me. :)
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. Conq Augur

2 yards of soil will fix that.
    BadPallyGuildLeader likes this.
  7. Laronk Augur

Bose makes some of the best noise canceling headphones on the market, get one that has active noise canceling and you'd be amazed at how good they can cancel sounds.
    BadPallyGuildLeader likes this.
  8. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

There is no reason to spend any more than she did (and I've seen the same headsets on sale for $50) for 95% of people that game. The audiophiles and streamers that want to have the absolute highest end stuff either have the budget for it or get it free from sponsors.

EQ and the 3rd party apps especially won't take advantage of $200-$300 headsets over $50 headsets.
  9. Ceffener Augur

For Everquest there is no reason to spend more. If you care about your voice quality on VOIP, there are reasons to care. From audio side (newer games, not a 20 year old game), cheap pair of Sony MDR 7506 and an external mic is much better than any “gaming” headset (and still doable under $100 pending sales). But for noise cancelling Sony/Bose is the best $300 you can spend if you fly a lot.

I used to use some of the Corsairs but they were huge/uncomfortable and didn’t sound that great compared to my 7506’s (that have lasted me 15 years so far). So I grabbed a blue yeti around $50 and stuck it on the desk.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  10. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

I understand that each situation for each person is different. I personally use Logitech G433s that I got at Best Buy for $50 at Best Buy during a 50% off sale. I've also have several other sets for other PCs and consoles but I don't take my headset out of the house.

I don't stream either although I've thought about getting into it. Definitely a personal preference for each person just like a keyboard, mouse etc.
  11. Bigstomp Augur

I have a Razer Man-o-war headset that I like.
    It charges using standard micro USB and you could charge it while wearing it but it charges fast as well so I have not needed to.
    Range is good. I have not tested further but 15-20 feet I do regularly.
    It has it's own little usb pluggable receiver (that conveniently fits into the headset so you don't lose it if you unplug it - just plug it into the headset storage slot).

Your ears glow in the dark in rotating different colours.

https://www.razer.com/gaming-audio/razer-manowar

The only downside I've experienced is the volume adjustment for microphone and speaker are purely digital wheels without a start/stop and in a place that takes some getting used to.
    A couple times I've turned my mic down to pretty much mute levels by mistake while taking them off with one hand and spent an hour wondering why nobody seems to be listening to me.
  12. Mintalie Augur

Bump! I've had the Corsair for a year now, it has served me well, with one caveat--it's actually too BIG for my apparently tiny skull and brain. Since I'm building a new computer, I might as well throw a new headset into the mix.

Any new recommendations in the past year?
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

[IMG]
  14. Absolutt Journeyman

So after much research I went with the Steelseries Arctis Pros. The come with a swappable battery and a charging station but I spent a LOT of time on my computer and I dont want to have to plug in my headset and only have wireless. They are in the $300 range but the benefit for me outweighs the price. They have been pretty reliable but not without issue, they will cut out a bit from time to time but I think that is a 2.4 GHZ interference issue and I'm going to turn that wireless channel off my router and see how it goes.
  15. Laronk Augur

The biggest feature you need in a wireless headset is an on headset mute button, no one wants to hear you pee
    svann and Nennius like this.