When are they going to fix AA exp?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Arderd and Crowd, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Arderd and Crowd Augur

Ok, I'm a quite frustrated SK at the moment. I have 2 characters, and enc and an SK, I levelled the SK first, people told me "AAs are easy at 100", so I dd 3.3k and levelled to 100. On hitting 100, I found the complete opposite, everything gives negligible experience, AAing is MUCH slower and my AAing is grinding to a halt.

Bring in my 91 enchanter, I decided to do the daily quests with them both daily. Result: he gets 127 per round, my SK gets about 15. Yes I know more AAs the easier, though I see no logic in it (people who were maxed before have to but a gut to get the required AAs a new player can get easily), but 1.9k to 3.7k shouldn't be 10% of the AAs.

"But that's because the mobs are all easy for your 100", I hear you say! Well, when I'm playing my 100 in SL or whichever relevant zone in a full group, I get 15-20% per kill. HoF1 even gives 4, yes 4, AAs. HoT gives my enchanter 8+ all the time.

So what do I do? I'm reduced to AAing my enchanter 150-200 AAs a day for ages before levelling to 100, because I know it's going to hit a wall when I hit 100. Is this what we want? Shouldn't people at 100, with AAs costing MUCH more, get at least what my enchanter gets? I find it laughable that you would be better off delecling your toom to 92, getting 2:30 hours of PL or even just doing the dailies, and then using exp recovery AA to get 100 back than actually AAing for 3 hours at 100.

For me, this is broken, badly. Am I missing something? Should my 90 be able to get 125AAs in 20-30 minutes from dailies and my 100 not?

Inset opinions here
    |
    |
    |
    \/
  2. Lenowill Augur

To be very clear on this, how many AAs does your enchanter have and how many does your SK have?

It sounds like the bonus AAxp curve is a large part of what you're running into (though it isn't the only part).
  3. Arderd and Crowd Augur

I got 3300 with my SK at 92, was leveling fine....then I levelled to 100 and hit a brick wall with the same AAs, 3900 after a while at 100 now though.

My enchanter has gottan 190-200AAs a day for the past 3 days, up to 1900 now, at 91.

One big problem is that the dailies are great, but dont work well on 100s, and there is no 100 daily;

Sorry about the typos up there, was writing it on my phone.
  4. Hatestorm Lorekeeper

What you are seeing has nothing to do with the level and everything to do with the exp bonus. At 0 AAs you get a 4000% bonus that linearly declines as you approach 4000 AAs. At 1900 your chanter is getting a 2100% bonus and your SK is getting 700%. The dailies are great for seeing this as the last kill is treated like an unallocated solo kill, that completely ignores your level and just gives you a set amount of experience. I have a very low AAed bard and she maxes AAs on each daily I get when she is set on only 40% to AAs. My necro needs to be set on 70% to max at about 1300AAs. Also this bonus is not effected by things like hotzones or LoTD or double exp weekend. Those only effect the base exp. Either way getting AAs is WAY easier then it used to be. You complain about only getting 15 AAs for doing a very easy quest that you can no doubt solo. In the old days (not that long ago) 15AAs would be a few hours of solid grinding in a group
  5. Arderd and Crowd Augur

10AAs + 2100% exp = 31
    10AAs plus 700% exp = 17.

Thats less than half the difference. My SK gets like 10-13% of the exp my enc gets. Mainly because of the level.
    The main difference is the low amount of exp on normal mobs and tasks at 100 compared to lowe levels, not the bonus AND the lack of a level 100 daily quest makes it rediculous.

Ill post in a few days when I've gotten another 600AAs on my Enchanter.

The AA bonus is a terrible idea tho anyway, like I said, if you were maxed before, you had lots of junk AAs. Now some guy that just started playing can AA properly and smarter (with hindsight) and, thanks to Sony, he can get all the best AAs FASTER too.
  6. Hatestorm Lorekeeper

This was the whole point and it is important. They did this so that people who just start can get caught up so that they can play with the big boys. If you have 3300 AAs and have alot of junk AAs then you just did a bad job of choosing them. You should be able to get to 3500 AAs easily before you start buying the very low return ones. You are in fact getting the benefit and the intention of the bonus if you are leveling an alt enchanter, so gratz on that!
  7. Arderd and Crowd Augur

I didn't do a bad job of choosing anything, I was maxed when I left, maxed plus 500 on glyphs. Then coming back, my junk AA I bought when I had no choice cripple my current choice.
    I dont see why that would help someone catch up, if everyone is getting the same total per kill, just when you hit a few thousand the returns are diminished.
    As far as it being a bonus, I don't get ten times what I got from killing a mob, or doing the mobs would be giving you 6 AAs a kill. It's a penalty, and a particularly harsh one on returning players, who it's supposed to help, according to you.
  8. Gladare Augur

It's a 900% bonus. Added to your regular 100% gain, 1000% total if you have 0aa.
  9. Shanaie Lorekeeper

Yes, you are missing something. AA xp isn't broken. You are missing your own responsibility in this. You took someone's advice and now you see it doesn't fit your playstyle. At 100, it's assumed that AAs will come faster due to level but that's not always true for all people. Sometimes it's better to sit at a level below max and AA since the diversity of content you have available is far greater. For example, I'm a now 96 rogue with 7419 AA. When I hit 95 (and roughly 6900 AA) during VoA, I put the rogue down and leveled an SK. She's now level 90 with 5400 AA. It's awfully fun to have a 95 raid geared rogue shredding the mobs you're tanking (I box). It also tends to make xp go faster. My Warrior at 100 (with 5200ish AA) can't burn through AA like the SK or even the rogue. As an SK at 95, you'd get better than decent XP in both RoF zones (SL, etc) and much of VoA. Heckuva lot more choices than at 100.

Your chanter is a newbie. A newbie who is so far behind the imaginary curve, it's a wonder anyone in that position continues playing. So your enchanter NEEDS a boost to get to "a decent level" of AA. This change wasn't made to benefit you specifically. It was meant to benefit all players (new or returning) who fell under the determined 4000 AA threshold. The devs don't care that you sank 500 AA into glyphs before any additional options were available. You chose to buy those glyphs instead of pursuing an alternate path (like rolling an alt and only bringing the main out for raids, for example). It's not ideal but I don't think the devs design for folks who completely max out character progression in an expansion. Heck, if you're like most tanks, you probably get next to no benefit from additional CA/CS ranks (diminishing returns kicks you right in the junk) but you buy 'em anyway.

Oh, and by the way, someone else getting a bonus does not equal you having a penalty. This isn't a zero sum equation. What I can suggest is waiting a couple weeks. I'm almost positive you'll have content that'll give you better xp in CotF. Also keep in mind that that bonus benefits you whenever you choose to play a character with less than 4000 AA. Your 100's problem isn't that bonus, it's the lack of content that gives you the kind of xp return that a 90ish toon has. With hotzones maxing out at 10 levels below cap, that may not be an available option. Getting more quests that provide similar rewards at higher levels would be a more palatable solution than gutting the AA xp system (and reverting the advances made in said system) because you can't earn AA as fast as a character 10 levels lower (and with ~1500 less AA) than you.
  10. Dre. Altoholic

I'm thinking that there's some sort of Task_Reward_Level at work here, providing a bonus to the level 91, while the "task" is green to your SK. You should be happy you get any experience at all from them.
  11. Abazzagorath Augur

There is nothing to fix.

Your sk at 3900 aa is getting a 25% bonus to aa exp.
    Your enchanter at 1700 aa is getting a 575% bonus to aa exp.

How fast do you think aa is supposed to be? You're complaining about killing like 10 mobs for 15 aa on your sk? Spend 20 minutes or whatever a day and you can get 5500 aa in a year that way. I don't see the problem here.
  12. Sebbina Augur

I am 100 and get 10/11 AA per Teek Task at about 3600AA, my runty SK would get a lot so I went 50/50, but once she catches up some it will drop off. Still, do both level 90 tasks and get 20 AA/day on your best character, just 200 days and you will gain about 4000 AA. Naturally if you want a higher rate, then you need to go kill some trash in a zone you like.
  13. CrazyLarth Augur

The easy part was that you dont need to put exp to level now your 100. it can all go to AA's.
    camp some more AC augs and get some for AA's exp.
  14. Quatr Augur

Er, is this really a Newbie Zone question? :)
  15. Borek-VS Augur

It certainly seems to be :).
  16. Quatr Augur

Well, any question posted on the Newbie Zone forum is a Newbie Zone question by definition :) but I suspect that the OP would get more varied responses on the Veterans forum.
  17. Quill Augur

The answer is that AA is Working As Intended(TM), and always has been.

Certain class setups level faster than others, that's part of the game. AA at max level always, always, always has come down to how hard you can crank mobs. It was this way in Luclin, it was this way in PoP, it was this way in every expansion since. AA has also been about steady AA, not bursty AA. If you try to get 11-12k AA in a month, good luck with that. Focus on a quota(whatever you feel comfortable with), hit it, and then get some sunshine. As an example, If you can do 33AA a day in an hour or so, thats a thousand a month.

Oh, and make sure you raid and get some real gear. Raid gear, in a lot of situations, is actually easier to get than Group Gear these days :p.

Per the OP:

Step 1: Level a Bard. He can stand around singing, its what he does. If you're bored, turn on attack. If you're really bored, learn how to play one.
    Step 2: Buy the big boy Wizard Mercs.
    Step 3: Set them on Burn.
    Step 4: Hold agro. You're an SK, no excuses.
    Step 5: Watch stuff melt.

/GU Combined: 88 mobs Breeding Grounds in 2466s, 148539k @60235dps --- Glargeg 50895k @20714dps --- A bloodbone sorcerer 49874k @20266dps --- Warrior 38243k @15508dps --- Shaman 5207k @2119dps --- Bard 3622k @1492dps

The sixth spot was a cleric pal. That's 1.675mil hp mobs dying every 30 seconds. Overall time was about an hour(pulling and what not).. it was a lesson on everybody and then a 30 minute pot from LoN on the shaman.
  18. Gnomeland Augur

How in the world are you getting 8 AAs per kill on your enchanter? AA exp is capped at 5 / mob; you won't get >5 AAs per kill except for quests/tasks. I have to think that you were saying you got 8 AAs per task.
  19. Arderd and Crowd Augur

They didn't give someone else a bonus Shanale, not sure whey you want to argue the toss over it. And I wouldn't have AAed at all once I hit a decent amount, and certainly not grouped, if they had said "you next AAs are going to cost x5 so be careful" back then.

Do you think adding a bard, silver account, to my set up would make such a big difference? Quil?

Update is that so far in 6 days my enchanter has run up to 2450 and my SK 3970. I wonder who will get to 4300 first? Taking bets, but I'd say the enchanter by a hair.
  20. Jitar Elder

Thing that bothers me is when MMOs lower XP you get by level AND up XP needed for each level. If something is worth 5K then it should always be 5K. You should just eventually need to kill a ridiculous amount. Maybe gray 0 but other colors should just be a guideline not make you get less raw XP. The big issue is that you can wipe low reds at low levels but by 100 even high light blues can lay you out and it takes a while to kill them. Unless I can find someone who can keep my wiz merc healed :)