What is the best overall class throughout EQ?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by OliverQ, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Meridian Augur

I'm surprised no one has mentioned shaman.
    Elyee likes this.
  2. SunDrake Augur

My vote was Shaman, I just hadn't posted it :)
    Elyee likes this.
  3. Chuuk Augur

My vote goes to SK as well.

They're tops plate tank at keeping aggro in early expansions, they are always pretty solid DPS, they have great survivability with taps and FD, and later in the game (past PoP) you almost always need a tank - for the group game they're great and for the raid game they are great off-tanks.

Plus, you can still psuedo-swarm with the epic 2.0 in later levels.
    Foaming likes this.
  4. Yimin Augur

Any of the three pet class were very good , you could solo , group and raid very well !

YiMin

Ps this is my last post hehe :D
  5. C3lowz Augur

Damage type class? Monk.
    Support type class? Cleric.

Those 2 are the most overall sought after for in both raids and groups -IMO-
  6. Silver-Crow Augur

The best class across all era's is the one you like to play.
    Skuz and Meridian like this.
  7. Gana Augur

I think the correct answer to the question posed is Shadowknight. Soup to Nuts, the SK is a viable class in every aspect of the game (group, raid, solo, molo).

What class have I had the most fun playing (I solo most of the time)? I will say a Rogue. Once you get SoS, Escape and Mez...you are a GOD! No green mob can stand in your way!
    Foaming likes this.
  8. Xeris Augur

Sk
    Foaming likes this.
  9. Elyee Lorekeeper

It is all relative on how you want to play IMO. If you're expecting to solo, with or without mercenaries and play from level 1 to 115, then I personally think the Shaman is the true best class, for many reasons. If you group alot, the Shaman is also always wanted and needed. In thinking about EQ over the long term levels and content, and the fact that it is a community and group dynamic, where the population strives with co-dependence, the Shaman has all the essentials: heals, buffs, ADPA, debuffs, DPS, and pet assisting. In reading a lot of posts, it seems like people are posting the " ... best overall class throughout EQ?" on one or a couple objectives (that seem only goal oriented in killing a mob and staying alive through that fight), something that can do burst DPS with some survivability. IMO Shaman are the perfect trifecta class that a group or raid almost always wants and needs, can solo, duo, molo, and can be a blast to play.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This nailed it.

Playing the "Flavour of the Expansion" class is something some players enjoy doing but that means you need to be happy levelling one of every single class eventually depending on what flavour you prefer at any given time.

No one class will be perfect in all expansions, not even in most of them.
  11. Machen New Member

Shaman, hands down. Broken in classic, golden in every other expansion.
  12. Machen New Member

Necro lovers would strongly disagree for the last few years.
  13. Machen New Member

I wish I could like this x1000.
  14. Machen New Member

But, oddly enough, there are actual parses on top of annecdotal evidence.
  15. Machen New Member

16. Machen New Member

"man"
  17. Galaras Lorekeeper

Please teach me how to easy mode the Broken Golem for epic.........
  18. Sethisto Elder

By far bard. It's just such a cool class. No other game has ever come close to creating something so fun, and frankly ridiculous.

It's something that would never happen in other game without massive constant nerfs. The only thing I could think to compare it to was the oldschool incarnation of the invoker in Dota. A character that almost no one played anywhere near as well as it could be just due to how many things went into being good at it. A lot of people "partially" played it and did alright. When it was played at it's maximum though by someone who knows all the ins-and-outs and executes all of it's weridness perfectly, it was completely broken. Oldschool invoker has been nerfed to death, and now it's a character no one plays because its too complex without any real payoff for mastering it over something simpler. The bard, somehow 2 decades later, is still just as insane of a class as it used to be in the Classic->GoD TLP era that actually matters.

So many crazy tricks. So much efficiency. A good bard can take a group from terrible to the best. Hell, a good bard can take an entire guild from mediocre to boss assassinating machine as they chain pull contested race mobs across zones and split them off. Qvic goats. Postorms races. Pofire minis. Every single contest group zone out there. Even solo, no other class can run to the back of a zone where a named just spawned, fade the train, pull the entire room, sacrifice charms into the named until it's dead, then zoom off to another without skipping a beat. Bards are by far the most powerful class in terms of completely manhandling the mechanics of everquest. The best monks come close, but the best bards are on another level.
    code-zero likes this.
  19. Ayoheee Augur

Cleric and monk are both pretty good choices. Clerics are always necessary for raids and valuable in groups for a good portion of the game. Monks have a very high peak in terms of raid utility, but they do start slumping around VOA/ROF and aren't a great choice for a raid spot.

Either on live or a TLP I've done classic-TBM with a small gap so that's whay I'm qualified to assess. My answer: Bard. For most of the game they're the #1 aDPS class, often contributing more to the raids overall damage than any of the 1 class they're supporting. Between pulling and mez, they're the best CC class in the game. They have more indispensable raid abilities than any other class.
  20. Ayoheee Augur

Everyone saying shadowknight hasn't played past SoD.