Unlock old Rk. III spells ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Angahran, May 5, 2013.

1. Dre. Altoholic

Is all of the raid gear from these expansions going to become tradeable too?
  2. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Only if they are from Research and they are a separate item from they existing rk3 spells so that the only way to get them is from a TS not someone buying them with a flagged toon.
  3. EQbud Augur

Here's my idea:
    Add a new tradeskill item to any recent content in which Rank 3s already drop. We'll call it Enhanced Spellcrafting Essence or ESE for now.

When an ESE is added to the recipe for making a rank 2 spell, it will instead make the rank 3 which will remain no drop no trade so that you will still have to have beaten a raid to get it.

Make the trivial 15 to keep people from whining about having to work up research to get something they raided for.

Since spells are currently researchable up to House of Thule, only have ESEs drop from HoT and more recent raids. Allowing it to drop from Serpent Spine raids (for example) and be used to make a HoT spell would be pushing it. Maybe remove it from HoT drop tables when research expands to level 95. Then again, with research always behind current content, who really cares how old a raid they beat to make an already obsolede spell. It may as well drop from raids starting with Serpent Spine since that was the first expansion with the ranks fo spells system.

I only mentioned spells above, but I meant for spells and Tomes.
  4. Rogue Augur

Why do we need this again? You want rk3's, go do the raids.
  5. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Horrible.
  6. gcubed Augur

It wouldn't work. The maximum number of components in a research spell cannot exceed ten. There are some Rk. II spells that have ten components already. Adding an 11th would prevent the combine from working (you cannot exceed the size of the combine container).

It should also be noted that any tradeskilled item that is level restricted usually has one component dropping from level appropriate mobs. That is to say, if you want to make a level 75 spell, you have to hunt mobs that are around level 75. Level 100 mobs will not drop level 75 components just as level 50 mobs won't. Your proposal would change that dynamic.

If a person wants to do research but they don't want to learn research, then they should only be allowed to use the recipes for things like Salve but nothing much more than that. Otherwise you are just turning a tradeskill container into a quest container. You might as well have people using a loom to make spells. What you are talking about here isn't research any more than using an AOAA is tinkering.

And on the subject of AOAA's, that might be the way to go. A researched, one use, 12 slot container for everyone who wants to pretend they are doing research using your ESE.
  7. Munkee New Member

Then combine the ESE with the Rk. II scroll instead?
  8. Coruth Augur

90: Litherias Fire Rank3: Decrease Hitpoints by 10460 for 1708 Mana
    100: Gosars Fire Rank 1: Decrease Hitpoints by 19028 for 2022 Mana (Better DPS/DPM)

The level 100 Wizard that can handle casting the superior Gosars Fire should be able to figure out, and to teach other wizards how to cast Rank3 Litherias Fire.

I'd make Wizards (classes) able to summon a "No Drop Wizard Training Essence" then Combine a Rank2 Scroll with Training Essence (Another research check) to create a tradeable Rank3 Spell.

The Training Essences would of course be level depenant. Level 100 creates an essence that works on 86 to 90. Level 95 creates an essence than works on 81-85 and so on till you are back to where Rank3s start

This would mean you need a Wizard to research a 10 Level old Rank3 Wizard Spell.
  9. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

There still might be a 10 item limit on recipes in the code, even with 12+ slot containers.

However, how about instead of a component being the raid drop, have a special container drop; so that the same ingredients get combined in the raid research tome as the regular tome; except you get a Rank III result, and the container gets consumed.

Would make it easier to copy-paste the existing recipes I think.
  10. gcubed Augur

Quest container being dropped I would go along with. A research container being dropped, only if the recipes had appropriate difficulty.
  11. Tegila Augur

idk why you guys keep yelling at the dude for asking about rkiii's..i mean i dont agree with making htem jsut ..buyable i guess but some alternate means to acquire old rkiii's would be nice. hate to break it to ya but a LOT of classes have several old rkiii's that htey use bc they got discontinued or bc the old rkiii is better htan new rkii or wahtever.

example: bullseye rkiii (not hard to get though, who cant do upper house raid?)
    mammoth's rkiii (st version for druids since they never get another chance at the spell and every year shaman get a newer version of unity that casts the spell yet again)
    sk/pal defy/renounce/reprove. rkiii is always better than the newer rkii bc it blocks 3 hits instead of 2 thus 50% better (i jsut dont even bother with new one of any rank til i have rkiii but some might have never had thechance at rkiii prior)
    vinelash has been mentioned (but in my slacking, i swear they released an upgraded version of this...did that get removed or somethign?)
    cleric rkiii aura with tons of work prior to beign able to loot item from raid. you cant even PRELOOT the drop from scorn cmon
    necros, sks, and perhaps some others..that depend on using multiple levels of the same lines. not so much on sks now as before quick spear etc, but still on a full on full burn..yeah you gonan load a couple levels of a couple spells (still dont get why some slot 3 augs got discontinued for some of our dots and others we'll enver use didnt)

etc etc. there are any examples of why ppl might need or want these beyond jstu being OCD about the whole thing. is it hard to do? for hte most part no. but some people it might be, some partiuclar spells it might be quite tedious (see: cleric rkiii aura) some it's simply a time thing. not your business to judge why soemone cant get OLD spells that no one raids anymore (cant use that excuse on 91-95 spelsl sorry, those are puraids weekly)

and no one can sit there and be like oh unlessy our'e a necro no one needs rkiii's from last year or before..bc you'd be dead wrong. crawl back in your holes people