The real cost of DKP and the items you spend it on

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Nuther Augur

"If you earn 10 dkp/hour, and you spend 500 dkp on an item, you have just spent 50 hours of your time in exchange for that item. "

If that is the case, something is very wrong with your guild and you should quit. It can well mean that the guild isn't very good at killing things and loot drops very slowly for them. Not healthy.
  2. Mad_Mikey Elder

I don’t think “butt hurt” is correct exactly. More like amused eye rolling at the blatant stealth reveal of your income by using a contrived arithmetic example probably 90% of this board could do in their sleep.
  3. Risiko Augur

Yes because my whole point in life is to covertly tell people how much I make. You caught me. Omg. I have been discovered! My secret plan I put in place over a decade and half ago to infiltrate the Everquest community and eventually leak how much money I make has been discovered!

You people really seriously honest to God need some mental help. The tinfoil hat has been on some of you for so long that you are making the most ridiculous of assumptions these days.

I don't give a rats butt if you know or don't know my income. I didn't know it would be an issue, or I simply would not have used my income in the example. Jesus. This is so stupid.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Several reason it could be that high, a rarer drop in the loot table, bad luck with rng on that drop or first time it dropped and the person wanted to get it right away. Just because a lot of dkp is spent on an item doesn't mean something is wrong with the guild.
    Risiko likes this.
  5. Mad_Mikey Elder

Fair enough. I don’t care about your income either, as is probably the case for most forum readers. That was kind of my point, but I agree this is stupid.

*edit typo
  6. Risiko Augur

Precisely. As pathetic as it may sound, it is possible to go 10+ weeks in to a new TLP server with out having a single Cloak of Flames drop for your guild at your once a week instanced raids. When something like that happens, the first one to drop goes for a boat load of DKP.
  7. Machentoo Augur

Every dkp guild is going to have certain items that are going to cost a lot more than average. If you averaged 50 hours for each item that would be absolutely terrible. 50 hours of raid dkp for the very first end boss breastplate that drops for your guild, or illusion chase item, or very rare must have weapon, that's not necessarily out of line at all.
  8. Raina Elder

It was just an example using arbitrary numbers. I do find the following conversation that it has inspired to be humorous though.
    Risiko likes this.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

My time playing EQ is worth precisely $0 per hour. Now, the damage done to my relationships, work focus, etc... well, that's a difficult cost to calculate.
  10. Risiko Augur

You just proved my point. There is a "cost". All hobbies have a cost. It may not be in monetary value, but there is a cost associated with it. I was using money just because it was an easy analogy to me.

I preferred the version made later in the thread about "hours spent versus items gained". That is much better than the analogy I made originally.
  11. Machentoo Augur

I do too. It's something everyone should be at least somewhat aware of, and for some players it will play a big role in guild choice.

In fact, it would be really interesting to see an average hours raided per item gained # for different guilds.
    Risiko likes this.
  12. jeskola pheerie

I have a tinfoil hat, yet you believe haters are following you around on the forums? Ok.... Maybe the reason you perceive that is because of your post volume
  13. jeskola pheerie

He completely refuted your point, yet you claim he proved it...
  14. Zanarnar Augur

Humm... maybe I should make my dkp system show everyone's total in dollars, multiplying their dkp by the current minimum wage ;P (OR I guess I could use my hourly wage but unlike Risiko I don't feel the need to brag about what I make :p ) I might have to do that for a day; just like when I turned the page into a Final Fantasy 1 style for lulz ;)
  15. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

If we're going to adopt a $ to DKP system I would like to at least start making minimum wage, or get a raise.