Test Update 5/9/2023 - Patch Notes and Discussions

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, May 9, 2023.

1. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I don't have a problem with them converting the windows in batches, that actually makes complete sense in this situation because it lets them focus their attention with regard to fixing bugs in the new windows that they will miss as well as the conversion process. If they were to have had all of the UI implemented from the start it would have been even worse than now, because they would have 1000s of people with completely different sets of bugs in all of the different windows, and for large swaths of the playerbase the game would have been unplayable.

But starting any kind of implementation of the new UI without having a fully working converter is negligent, bordering on incompetent. Honestly, there should also have been a fully working WYSIWYG program which had the converter built into it already made and completely ready for the use by the playerbase. These programs should also have been designed to convert custom files as well, such as a custom_template file and a custom_animations file.

There are simply too many basic parts which should have been completed before the UI revamp was pushed out.
    Nennius likes this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You can still use the custom windows as they are now and there is no rush to convert over your custom UI at this time. Likely many of the errors that you see are because they haven't converted most of the windows over yet.
  3. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The changes broke existing functionality of these windows. It was known to do this. It never should have been pushed to Live. It has broken, SUITE versions of the windows that were converted. They do not function properly as they did prior to the patch.

Also, what you said completely misses the point of what I was saying. They never should have even began the process without having the method for people to convert their existing windows to the new UI format functional. And by functional, I mean at all functional. Currently, the converter does not work at all, and there is absolutely no benefit to pushing any of this to live at all if the converter does not work.

The only reason to push any of the windows to Live at this point is to get the people who don't play on Test to start moving their custom windows to the new UI style, because the players on Test could quite easily debug the problems with the new default windows without it being pushed to live and breaking functionality of various old windows. However, since the converter does not function, the only thing that has happened is that windows have been broken. It is just luck that nothing major was broken.

The next patch should revert the changes to the Live servers until such a time as the SUITE files are not impacted and the converter works on all individual custom files. At no point, should you need more than just the specific files that you have customized in your uifiles folder to allow the converter to work. Further, it should also allow the user to have custom template and animation files, and add such secondary files as needed to be converted.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You seem to be focused on a tool that doesn't need to be live as there is no need to convert a custom UI to the new engine at this point in time. It would be different if you were forced to use the new UI engine but as it stands now there should be no impact if you do nothing.
  5. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

That is utter BS. Converting custom UI is the sole reason for having this on live at all, period. If you remove the use of Custom UIs, then there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for the UI revamp to have been pushed to live at all. The sole reason to have the Revamp pushed to live is to have people who have custom UIs and Windows to covert to and use the new system. All of the problems with the default UI version for the Gameface UI could be found and resolved on Test alone. As it stands, there were multiple issues with the Gameface UI on Test for the default UI for a month and they were pushed to live anyway. Then on top of that the only legitimate reason for pushing it to live does not function.

You wanting to pretend that they needed to push 4 windows to live with nothing working properly, not even those 4 windows, is a joke.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I never said anything about the need to push 4 windows to live and I had expected the ability to switch to the old UI or use the new UI without having to make a custom UI on your own. Also from what I understand some of the bigger issues being discovered are due to differences in hardware that can be hard to test for.

Still not sure why you expect the convertor to be working perfectly when it is trying to do things that haven't been finished yet.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I think we all expected the 4 windows ported over to be finished and working correctly and able to be converted when they were sent to live.

After all they were on test for an extra month.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I am not disagreeing with you on that, I also expected that people wouldn't be forced to use the new UI and wouldn't be forced to make a custom UI to go back to the old one. But that isn't relevant at all to the conversion tool and the issues it is having.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Well you can't test something that wants a file you already have and won't run without it....
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't think that the current issues with the UI need a customer UI made with the convertor to test. With the current state they should be focusing on getting it working before worrying about getting the convertor fixed.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

As long as they stop forcing new windows on us.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

As I have said in other posts I agree with you there. I think they should have rolled out the converted windows as a new UI something like "New Default" and left the old one there so that people could chose which one to use.
    Yinla and Wulfhere like this.
  13. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

They did. It is in a completely separate folder than uifiles even. If you want the the SUITE UI, go the the uifiles folder, right click on the default folder, select copy, then right click on an empty spot within the uifiles folder, select paste, change the name of the resultant folder to suite, log into the game and type /load suite. Now you have default UI from before exactly as it was before without it using the converted windows. Custom UIs are not necessarily as simple to do though.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yes, players can create a copy of the old UI to make into a custom UI but I am saying that isn't something that they should have had to do and players should be able to choose which version the want without having to do any work.
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

OMG I totally agree with this statement.