Status of new UI Engine

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Apr 9, 2024.

1. Fian Augur

I have disabled it on my computer since it had problems working with old UI windows that were not yet converted (some pages were hidden behind other pages when they should have been in front). Has the UI conversion of all pages been completed? Is the hidden windows issue resolved?
  2. error Augur

I don't know about issues since I keep it turned off, but no, none of the actually important windows have been converted over to it yet. Most patches seem to have some minor update to the new UI but it really seems like they threw it on the backburner.
  3. Soulbanshee Augur

The last dev message was they were having issues with handling shared windows in the new engine. Bags are a single window that they duplicate for each bag and they were having issues getting that behavior. It would be a reason why only single use windows have been converted so far.
  4. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

My sense of it is that it'll never get done. It has all the feel of work project that gets started but the person assigned to it left for another company.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Really feels like they have given up on it.
  6. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea i really dont think its gonna get finish which is a shame since i like stuff to be bigger.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

I think they'll continue to use it as an excuse why they can't get other things done in a timely fashion: "We REALLY wanted to get X done, but you know...the new UI..."
  8. Iven the Lunatic

9. Iven the Lunatic

They sure are still working hard on it, but it seems to be an unsolvable problem. It caused a chain reaction and to many elements are affected by the whole project: UI engine, old UI, new UI , fullscreen mode, windowed mode. It should be hard to find out how they do interact with each others and what is causing problems.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

I think they stopped getting feedback on it when everyone decided not to use it.
  11. Brickhaus Augur

I use it. Don't like the windows converted on top of everything else but I use it. It is usable if you accept that and a few other bugs.

I suspect that there are much more folks like me than you think. People who play EQ who run whatever they are pushing as default UI and do not deviate. Mainly because I don't want to change to custom UI things and have them not work, either from the next patch or stop being developed.
    Kaenneth and Rijacki like this.
  12. Candystore Augur

A new properly done UI now seems as likely as Pantheon releasing one day. A lot of game developers are complaining about being fired, but when projects take years before getting anywhere, it is pretty normal that investors pull out.

If our back-end SQL developers took as long to manage our databases as some game companies take to finish projects, our company CEO would have a nervous breakdown and they would all be out the door in days.
    Andarriel likes this.
  13. Tyranthraxus Grognard

You don't need custom, theres a toggle to turn off the new UI and use the original, no bugs.
    Options window display tab, bottom right.
  14. Brickhaus Augur

Yes, I am aware of the toggle.

The point of my post that you may have missed is that I play EQ simply, however the developers feel it should be played/view/experienced/whatever. I know there are many others like me out there who simply do not mess with things. We are simple creatures.

Since Test is not a reliable bug check method anymore, someone has to use the new UI elements when they come out. I've submit several bug reports about the new UI elements (I need to make posts as well, but I've been gathering my inconsistencies first to make a big bug report here).

I was merely pointing this out as a number of forum posters thing we do not exist. We exist and in far greater numbers than you might think.
    Rijacki likes this.
  15. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Appologies I assumed you were using it out of a lack of knowledge, not masochism, you do you ;p
    Ssdar and Fanra like this.
  16. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I had no choice but to turn it off. As i was unable to open my inventory bags without redoing the ui scale everytime i logged in very annoying.
  17. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

I use the new, too. It works well enough, I just needed to adjust bag placement which I would have to do anyway it I want to see all my bags open with the inventory screen open (and I have my own reasons for doing so). After a few tiny adjustments and it works perfectly fine for me so why would I need or want to disable it? No masochism, I just likely play differently than you do and that's 100% fine. I'm not insisting anyone else play as I do and I am glad there is a disable button for those who want it.
  18. Tyranthraxus Grognard

I considered it, but the blurry font was impossible to tolerate. A shame really cause I did want to shrink most of the ui elements by 50% or more.
  19. Brickhaus Augur

I should also say that one of the reasons I use the new UI (elements) as given by DPG is to "hold their feet to the fire" for releasing the new UI in such a haphazard manner. As a paying customer, I am hugely disappointed in the continuing saga of the new UI and the lack of progress since the start.

DPG doesn't get to say ... well, we have a fallback position (the old UI checkbox) if the next new UI element actually breaks game play. Whatever the current Live pushed UI is ... it needs to function so that the game still works. And if it doesn't, all resources need to be given to fix the issue. It needs to be more than one guy learning how to C++ code.
  20. Lodestar The Undefeated

Doesn't matter how many windows get converted to new UI, or if it's even fully converted.

The font is blurry as crap, and unusable. Waste of time if they don't fix the font.
    Barton-Vox likes this.