Restricted IP's DONT WORK

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Vulak-Arkadius, May 26, 2015.

1. Vulak-Arkadius Augur

Seriously, its 2015 do you not know anything about how IP addresses are assigned? let me enlighten...you can tether your cell phone for another IP address at anytime and log in from a different account, or you can spoof your IP as well...limiting IP addresses to deal with boxing does not work this is a proven fact so stop. Without GM enforcement (which they are not going to do) this will not happen and Im tired of seeing 5 pages of threads with suggestions/complaints for new server.
  2. Diemond Augur

Shhhhh just let them fantasize in ignorance. :)
  3. Zach Journeyman

Go try and box on p99. Let's see how they goes for you.
  4. Vulak-Arkadius Augur

this isnt P99, there is GM enforcement...pity reply
  5. Diemond Augur

You can, their codes don't stop it, but if you get caught you get banned. But it can still be done.
  6. Kunon Augur

Lots of people actually 2 or 3 box there since you can easily have each account using different computers and IPs. However, for those that box it is not nearly as blatant and in your face as it is here since there are still people out there looking for it in game. Just like here there are also problems with RMTers and all the drama with the raid game is not much different from here either.
  7. Wandidar Elder

If you wanted to limit boxing, you (theoretically) could limit by MAC address rather than IP address - if you specifically use the MAC address of the NIC. Then, at the least, someone who is boxing would require multiple NIC's...

Still though - it isn't really boxers that are the problem as I see it in regard to the overall population. If you think about it, there are a bunch of people waiting to get on. If you got rid of all the boxers - what's to say that single players don't fill all those slots and there are still single players waiting for 2 hours to get on?

Boxers are an easy target because right now, some of them are the biggest offenders when it comes to doing annoying things like kill stealing. Likely though that is some percentage of them giving the whole group a bad name.

But I don't think anyone has anything beyond speculation that removing boxers would resolve queue times.

For the record, I am NOT boxing on Ragefire. Max nostalgia for me - one avatar, and one avatar only.
  8. Rauven Augur

MACs are as easy to spoof as IP addresses. Google it. In fact there's legitimate tools you can use to do this (aka diag tools, not hack tools).

The only way to deal with boxing is to just put a policy to disallow it, and enforce it heavily. And I will give the anti-boxers credit... they are persistent. If they keep it up, who knows.. Daybreak just might change their policy.

Eventually a dev is going to scratch their head and be like, "you know... I designed this for a group to take on, not one person using six people."

And before anyone goes on a tirade about making money. Devs don't design stuff to make money. They design stuff that it is fun. The marketers are the ones trying to get people to play the fun stuff so they spend money. Devs are NOT marketers. Most marketers don't know a damn thing about code.

Nothing is stopping a dev from designing the game or content from being box-unfriendly. I think that's the real solution. Let the frenzied ghoul do some sort of attack that drops a 'bomb' debuff on a random person within 100feet. It blows up and deals 4000 damage to everyone (but the one with the debuff) standing within 20 feet. And various other move and scoot mechanics, or the duck and jump ones seen in some raid bosses. Now lets see how good those 6 boxers really are.

Or better yet. named that ignore pets and target PCs only.
  9. Diemond Augur

Yeah I can see it now, a Dev finally agrees with the ones complaining and writes in the perfect code to prevent boxing, then a month later someone comes to him wanting to know why DB has lost half their revenue. That conversation is going to go well. :)
  10. Ultrazen Augur

This game has been limping along on life support for *years*, the fact that people are paying 5-6 times as much per month as I am leads me to want to thank them.

Boxing has got to account for at least 50% of their revenue. It's just a /boggle that people will go to any lengths to get a game they supposedly love killed...in the name of...what?...jealousy?

Being mad at boxers, is like being mad at other people in a line for a sold out show....it's (*&)(*& idiotic. There is more demand than there is content, so...of course the answer to that problem is, piss off a bunch of your paying customers and not allow them to play? Wow.........unreal.
  11. MBear Augur

I think writing some aggro code in for some named to mess with boxers would be neat. It would also present an additional challenge that could be fun to try to beat while boxing.
  12. Kunon Augur

They already have all of those mechanics in game, albeit at the higher end. The irony is that it doesn't effect boxers nearly as much as it effects the more casual players who are not nearly as good at learning and following emotes and other game mechanics. The Veteran forums is full of such complaints. As for designing content for single players, considering these are the Devs that created Mercenaries and now design content for '3 played characters and 3 mercenaries' it says that ship sailed long long ago.
  13. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

you know there is an everquest server already that dosent let you box.. its p99.. why cant all the box haters just go there n stop trying to change the way the game has been for at the very least the last 10 years..
  14. Diemond Augur

Except you can box there. You just get banned if you get caught. But people still do it.
  15. Rauven Augur

You know, I want to see actual numbers on the boxers before I'll believe something like this. I'll wager they don't make up the majority. I just haven't seen it.

Sure people see them 'all' the time. But people don't notice when there's just normal people around. Only when they get trained, KS'd, Ninjalooted, and pushed out of camps that they actually remember something.
  16. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

correct diemond, but its the policy these people are looking for.. its really depressing that these loud mouths will prob actually ruin EQ for everyone on live servers and everyone who enjoys boxing on TLPs..
  17. IamVero Journeyman

I have boxed on p99, just gotta be kinda sneaky, its really not hard though.
  18. sihpa Augur

Did it make you feel naughty?