Recommended Spells for Ranger Spell Bar

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Thraxxus, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Thraxxus New Member

Anyone have any recommendations for the spell I should have on my lvl 50 spell bar. I wish I could have double the amount of slots that I do.

I primarily molo througth quests and am currently questing in mesa, also I am using a tank merc, should I be using a different one?
  2. feiddan Augur

Fire nuke, ice nuke, snare, root, heal, invis, harmony, buffslot.
  3. Borek-VS Augur

Consider fire fist and/or a second snare for aggro, if you are in need. Otherwise a jolt :).
  4. Fluid Augur

Last thing first, you should mostly be using a tank merc. That will give you a chance to develop all your spell casting skills. Tank merc will probably out DPS you so faster leveling. Problem is your defensive skills like dodge will fall behind. Figure on spending some time with a healer merc to get your melee skills up. Sheesh, 90:10 tank:healer maybe??? Don't let archery skill slip either. The merc don't mind if you work on archery, whiffing every shot, but a group of players might if you try practicing with them.

No big thing because you probably already got to 51. I would keep SoW up until I get Inate Run Speed AA at level 51 as one of my spells. One spell slot.

Best heal, best AC, best damage shield, since you are the healer/buffer. Some are self only and those can be left out. Some are long lasting and can be swapped out. DS and heal are the only one that have to stay on the bar. So two more.

I like DOTs. Swarm of pain hits big and Immolate is nice. Stinging Swarm stacks too. Three more if you don't use Flame Lick!

Pull with snare at the greatest range possible. One more for IMO must haves or seven total.

Hit mob with Swarm of Pain on the way in. Back up until the merc pins it, then hit it with Immolate. If you get its attention, just keep backing up/aggro kite until the merc does his/her job. From there, anything goes including DD spells or even Panic Animal if you are banging on something like a Ring Snake that doesn't flee at 20% health. Get dual wield up, archery, different spell casting disciplines, kick like the wind...
  5. Yther Augur

Here's what's on a spell set of 60s Ranger:
    Frozen Wind - Ice nuke
    or
    Firestrike - Fire nuke

Flame Lick - Aggro Spell (Although a DoT, it's Evoc. skill)
    Fire Swarm - DoT to keep Conj. skill up
    Ensnare - 15 min Snare
    Grasping Root - Root
    Greater Healing - Heal
    Chloroblast - Heal
    Call of Sky - Proc - Alternate buffs, nukes, or dots, depending on situation
    Chloroplast - HP Regen - Alternate buffs, nukes, or dots, depending on situation

Not sure why there are 2 heals, and a lower one in the slot 6. Slot 6 is usually my good heal and 7 usually the lesser heal / cure, but the first ones not available yet. Probably switched them around on this toon and just put a lesser heal in there as placeholder since all our cures are individual (poison or disease) at this level.

Yther Ore
  6. Thraxxus New Member

I am actually up to lvl 55 now. I didn't know about the innate run speed at lvl 51. I have been primarily using a Tank Merc, I tried a healer Merc in CC but it seems like it takes twice to three times as long to kill things. Although I have been switching to the healer for temp, and the other two buffs they last an hour or so, I think it is worth it at this point.

I have a J1 merc when can you move to J2, 3 etc.?
  7. Ratbo Peep Augur

Also.... as you build up Merc AA - dump them into the Tank Merc as a priority.
    iie After you have Improved Heath and Improved Mana done - go to Improved Melee defense - then Steadfast Resolve.
    Eventually you'll out DPS the Tank Merc by a WIDE margin - but you need him to be able to tank in situations where you can't. At high levels the Tank Mercs are really Squishy until you dump a pant-load of AA into them. Virtually unusable.
    I also have my level 100 Merc decked out in the best AC only gear (Qeynos Resolute line)
    Makes a BIG difference.
    -Rat
  8. Borek-VS Augur

You can only upgrade your merc if you are Gold, and the earlier you can start is level 75 - that's to get the quest for Warrens Void progression. At 85 heroic characters can do a very much easier solo quest for tier 5 Journeyman mercs, which should soon be available to all.

I don't know if the lower levels of SoD progression (Void) allow you access to J2, etc - it is possible, even probable, that they do, and should have lower starting levels - possibly 65 and upwards.
  9. Ratbo Peep Augur

Yes (providing you are Gold) doing SoD progression will let you rise in J-tiers of Mercs.
    I can get a J1, J2, J3, and J5 based on my SoD works.
    But I think anyone can earn and spend some Merc AA - right??
    -Rat
  10. Kolani Augur

100 ranger, I'm sure it's not completely optimal, but here's what I have on the setup.

[IMG]
  11. Sarkaukar Augur

Later you will be able to get more spell slots. But you also have the ability to save several different spell groupings. Just remember to update as you obtain spells.