Random boot to desktop - No message

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Basak, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Basak Augur

I am randomly getting booted to desktop. Not to character select, not to server select, the game just up and shuts itself off as if I hit /exit. It sometimes happens multiple times in a row, sometimes it doesn't happen for days, and everywhere in-between. It is not based on account as I can log in the account on another computer and every account I use on the computer does the same thing. I have tried to delete/reset the UI to default but the issue still occurs. It happens while pushing buttons or even if I am not pushing buttons, there doesn't seem to be any correlation between getting booted and keyboard/mouse clicks. It has been going on for months now and I have rebooted my computer multiple times over the months.

If anyone has any idea what can cause this I would be most appreciative.
  2. CrazyLarth Augur

no Idea I had it a few times in the past and I use clicked that Cog wheel and validated
  3. moogs Augur

EverQuest\Logs\dbg.txt is likely to inform you on the cause.
  4. Quicksand New Member

Could be a fire wall/av allowance issue.

Or your CPUs overheating

Update video/sound drivers? Reinstalling video drivers?

So many things possible. What is your windows?
  5. Basak Augur

Thank you. At first I thought I was triggering truebox code and it was booting me, but it was happening on live and test servers as well and also if I am not pushing any buttons just random drop to desktop.

I checked Firewall and everything is good there.
    I monitor my CPU and there is nothing going on there.
    Video/Sound drivers are all up to date, I even did a complete reinstall of Windows to see if that helped.
    I am running on Windows 11 Home edition and Windows 11 Pro edition. It is affecting all my Windows 11 systems but not my older windows systems.

So I have it narrowed down to an issue with Windows 11 and I can not figure it out.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I read somewhere on these forums that if your crashing on Windows 11, get rid of "Game Mode" Don't just turn it off, but use Powershell to remove it. That is the x box thing on win 11. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-uninstall-xbox-game-bar-on-windows-pc

I would hesitate to remove anything without further checking what it does etc

Cruising thru the forums I found some other ideas some one else mentioned:

decided it might be a problem with my graphics card. But I tried several and no joy.
    Then I booted without a graphics card at all.
    Problem solved. No crashes, no lag. Been a couple months now and I’ve done every raid in the expansion repeatedly with no issues.

And one other was to delete zone files (this is ok cause they rebuild automatically as soon as you log back in) and also to run a file verification with the little wheel
  7. Basak Augur

Thank you, I went to look for this file. I got "Fatal error occurred in mainthread! (Release Client #630)" showing up in this txt file. I did a few searches and it seems to be connected to SSD. Which I did not not have issue with Windows 10 on my SSD. It wasn't until I updated to Windows 11 that this issue started to pop up. I had considered it a Windows 11 issue as it affects all my Windows 11 systems and none of my 10, 8 systems SSD or HDD.

In short:
    Windows 8 SSD - No Issues
    Windows 8 HDD - No Issues
    Windows 10 SSD - No Issues
    Windows 10 HDD - No Issues
    Windows 11 SSD - Hello Crashing
    I do not have Windows 11 with HDD but I may remedy that to test if it is a Windows 11 SSD issue.

I have already removed this a couple months ago, one of the first things that popped up when I started to encounter this issue and did some searches.

If it was a graphics card or zone file issue I would think it wouldn't affect my other Windows 11 machines but to that, I did a complete uninstall and reinstalled the game and still issue persists.
  8. Galvanize Elder

Did you try running the game in compatibility mode -> Eqgame.exe properties and set it to Win10? Could be an easy way to test.

Maybe check SSD health? Update any SSD Firmware/Drivers potentially. Most major manufacturers push several revisions per model
  9. Basak Augur

No I did not consider compatibility mode, which is odd as that is usually my first go-to. I am getting old.

SSD health is fine, drivers and firmware is up to date. EQ is the only game that this crash happens to, I can play EQ2, WoW, any other game in my game libraries and no crashing like I get in EQ.

On that, I tested EQ on Windows 11 HDD and sadly it did not help. I still get crashes on Windows 11 no matter the drive I use and no matter on which machine I use it on that is on Windows 11. I will have to give compatibility a try next time I have time to play.

You all have been great in trying to assist me with this. With both your help and google search I have been able to try various options. I just want to thank everyone attempting to help me out, it is much appreciated.
  10. Galvanize Elder

Yeah, its definitely not an inherent Win11 problem since I can leave the game running for days on my Win11 system. Any other different USB devices/peripherals connected to Win11 comps? Background software/processes?

Can also try adding EQ to Win11's Exclusion list for Windows Defender, double check Win update, check optional updates etc as well, could be some obscure thing at this point
  11. moogs Augur

I had some crashing a couple of weeks ago, with Fatal error occurred in mainthread and saw that it was having some trouble reading/writing to certain memory addresses. It wasn't my SSD. I had a regular task scheduled to clean the RAM about every 30 minutes, because memory leaks from older applications have an awful impact on my system performance. That task was too aggressive, and it was cleaning memory space that EQ still needed, so I was crashing when zoning. Do you have something similar going on? That was an easy fix for me.
  12. Sippycup The Holy Grail of Aradune

Just saw this post, I have been having the same problem except , my computer completely shuts down. I have a MainGear Shroud MG1 ,Running windows 11Home, 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K 3.00 GHz , 32 gig of Ram. This computer eats EQ on all maxed settings no problem. The last couple of months for no reason the computer just randomly shuts off with no warning, I run Discord , Gina programs in the background. At first I thought it was a hardware problem so I brought the computer back to MainGear to have them diagnose any issues. Of course they couldn't find anything wrong , they stated the computer when stressed out is running perfect. I had them wipe out the harddrive and reinstall Windows like it was a new purchase again. Got it home reinstalled EQ, Discord , Gina. Worked great for 2 weeks then all of a sudden it started shutting off again. Now I tried to isolate is it EQ is it Gina or is it Discord. I found a couple of forums saying that Discord doesnt like to run on windows 11, to delete the Cache files with in that program. I did that but it happened again. I played a full week with out Gina running and my comp crashed everyday. So I can say it's not Gina. But now you all are saying this can be an EQ problem ? So I would like to get to the bottom of this issue and any help would be appreciated. I can say that on my backup computer I don't have any of these issues, but go figure its a crappy Best Buy Dell. FML
  13. Basak Augur

My Windows 11 systems all have nothing connected to USB with the exception of the main system which has my Mic and Headphones plugged into it.

I will check the windows defender settings next time I have the time to do so, thank you.

I do not crash while I zone, it is just random sometimes it happens 2-3 times in a row sometimes it takes hours to crash out. I can be moving around or sitting perfectly still touching nothing and it will occur. It basically acts as if I used the /exit command and EQ is the only game it does this on.
  14. Galvanize Elder

Could be an error with discord overlays interacting when they draw over the eqgame process. Try disabling the discord overlays , or if you want a half measure try running discord as administrator.
  15. moogs Augur

Does the machine completely shut off, or does it lose the video signal and sit there with a black screen? Are any fans still running?

I had a machine that would do this under load. My CPU temperature was fine. (Thermal protection design will typically shut off a machine between 95-105 C, which is what your vendor probably tested for in a 15 minute stress test.) The video card was fine when I put it in another machine. This was happening because I had a second NVMe SSD attached to the motherboard, and it turns out those things can suck up a lot more power than you might think. (It's supposed to be maybe 5w but that's a lie.) Along with a beefy new video card, the SSD was enough to exceed the capacity of the power supply under load, and boom, good night.

Try using a kill-a-watt meter to compare the system's power draw when idle vs under load. Check - and tally up - the max power specifications for your components, starting with the video card. Compare with the max watts your PSU is rated for. (You can also make use of software like GPU-Z and/or OpenHardwareMonitor.)

A Maingear MG-1 Shroud review shows a 600w power supply trying to provide enough juice for an RTX 4060. (The Maingear website has various options, so I'm not sure what you actually have.) The video card is much more efficient than the previous generation, so the average draw is between 110-125w (rated at 115w max, actual testing results are different). Your CPU uses between125-253w (idle vs max). Assuming your 32 GB RAM is spread across four modules, and from the manufacturer's page it looks like they have RGB lighting, that's another 190-230w. Then you have the motherboard and the case fans, that's going to be another 100-120w. Another 10w for the SSD. Depending on peripherals connected to the machine and how it's used, you are almost certainly getting up close and personal with your maximum power limit.
  16. moogs Augur

Are there any powered USB devices attached to the system when you play? A fancy keyboard, a microphone or headset, any USB storage devices? You're likely pushing 650-750w when you're playing (especially if multi-boxing, which I think you do on a regular basis given your YouTube video output), without much of a safety buffer.
  17. Sippycup The Holy Grail of Aradune

I'm running a 4080 RTX Video Card, as far as peripherals I have a Logitech G Keyboard g915 and a Logitech G Mouse g502. I'm finding that when I minimize EQ window to look at discord messages or anything related to discord , 60 % of the time im getting killed. Meaning ALL Power to the computer shuts off. Like as if I had a blackout or someone pulled the plug on me. I use the same exact setup on a very cheap Dell system from best buy and it runs flawless, obviously the graphics are turned down to fix lag but I'm stumped on what is causing this. Are you all recommending I get a bigger power supply ? or are there settings I should be tweaking on it. I know that when I do crash , I go into the Discord Cache files and delete those , then I'm good for another day /shrug . Also all my EQ files are validated, however when I recently switched to test server and tried loading test server I crashed .... Idk

Ahh Thanks for watching my YouTube Btw <3 hehe

I just looked at my Power settings in Windows and I have it selected on Best Performance . Should I move this to Balanced or Best power efficiency ? Or is Best performance what I want

I have all the screen savers , put device in sleep mode after 10 mins , turn my screen off after 3 min. etc all Turned OFF
  18. moogs Augur

That's helpful. You mentioned above that the retailer restored the system to factory settings, so unless there's an insane bug with one of the applications you're using (9.9/10 unlikely, given your setup), we're looking at something more interesting. If an application or the system was silently running a scheduled task to shut down the system, you would see Windows close your open applications, rapidly log out and shut down normally. We can safely rule out software as the cause.

When you lose power, do you lose power to your entire home? I'm guessing no, but if so, that's an issue for your electricity provider. Does it trip a circuit breaker? Probably not, as you haven't mentioned that. Do you have a small device that you can plug into the same outlet as the PC? Something like a small LED light that would be very obvious to check when your PC shuts off. It's not impossible, but it's unlikely that you have an issue with the outlet or the circuit. If so, find a residential electrician to troubleshoot for you. If it's just the PC, you're looking at inadequate or faulty power.

You can try a few things.

1) Remove a couple modules of memory, since you can get by without it for testing and it's 100w of power that you can free up.
    2) Ask your retailer to upgrade the PSU. If they're reasonable, they'll swap and only charge you the difference plus a standard service fee. (They can reuse yours.)
    3) If the quality or reliability of power in your home is a problem, consider putting the PC on a UPS to withstand minor outages. (This likely isn't your problem, but it's good practice regardless.)

Start with the most obvious and the most likely scenarios.
  19. moogs Augur

Balanced should still allow you to multi-box without issue. (It's what I use.) The CPU will ramp up to turbo speed when and if it needs to, but it doesn't need to be sucking electricity when you're just browsing the web.
  20. moogs Augur