Progression Server w/Negative Perks?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Qinlain, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Qinlain New Member

Been gone a bit and did a quick search to check, but with the new perk bonuses, has there’s been any talk about new servers with negative perk coding enabled? Something like this:

Mischief Loot (Free trade + Random)
    Free-Box (Not 1 per PC)
    -95% coin from kills
    -90% coin from sold items to merchants
    -50% quest coin (or no change to promote people doing quests)

Just another server idea I suppose to add to the masses.
    Hirbow likes this.
  2. Woodenhooklak New Member

go to the crappy e m u servers if you want a painful experience
    Skuz and Thewiz like this.
  3. Machen New Member

Silly idea that makes no difference whatsoever. All it does is move the decimal point on all plat transactions one place to the left. Nothing else would change.
  4. Xhartor Augur

Mangler originally was intended as a hardcore server, with slow exp, more exp lost death on ect.

The concept was almost as popular as a loud wet fart in a crowded elevator. So they changed it to a Phinny clone with Agnarr exp before launch.
    Skuz and Duder like this.
  5. Machen New Member

Less xp actually changes the player's experience. Less plat would not, since almost nothing is purchased with raw plat ever.
  6. Xhartor Augur

Not early in the game. In GoD it's 10k per goat armor piece, 20k for BP and legs. AAAA have a fairly heavy vendor cost to craft. A number of later expansion are pretty heavy on the vendor costs.

Also reducing the amount of coin dropping, doesn't impact the coin created by gem and other vendor food item. Which account for the bulk of coin generation in some expansions.
  7. Machen New Member

Wouldn't significantly change how much armor gets done.

The only thing it would change significantly is tradeskilling in classic.

The OP addressed this.
  8. Xhartor Augur

Solvents for full set of Muramite armor (goat armor), current run 105,000p. If you had a 90% reduction in plat generation, then you would be equivalent over a million plat on standard TLP. That amount isn't trivial in that era. Basically makes the armor unaffordable for people who have lives outside the game.

Another example would be rank 3 faction spell and tome costs in SoF. Those aren't tradable/craft items while the expansion is current, nor are quested or dropped.
  9. Machen New Member

It's not trivial, but it's not preventative either considering the other option is spending your plat on nothing at all.

I usually don't have a lot of plat on any server I play on. I've never had more than a handful of krono. But if I had needed to, I would have found a way to pay 100k per goat armor piece on this last run through Gates, and I finished multiple full sets for alts.
  10. Nolrog Augur

I really don't see why this would be a draw for anyone. You don't add to the difficulty of the server you just make it far more tedious, and people don't like tedious. Heck, if you increase the difficulty people spend more time complaining than playing as we have seen here before.

I disagree with the suggestion that less plat doesn't change the experience. It very much does, especially early on when you are trying to buy spells and have to pay for gear components (GOD was mentioned).

Xhartor is right, this would go over as well as a loud fart in a crowded elevator. This is not a viable option. People don't even want harder these days. Thornblade and Mischief are not harder, they are easier because of all the gear and that concept seems is very enjoyable.
    Skuz and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  11. Yami New Member

Servers do not need anything negative added. It needs to continue down the process of Mischief/TB brought forth and improve upon it. EQ uses a ton of D&D ideals, I say make it rain all loots from anything. They could keep encounters drop list but just make it rain.
  12. Tweakfour17 Augur

And then Mangler became probably the most successful TLP since Phinny and it will not surprise me when compared to Aradune/Mischief/Thorn on a per late expansion level Mangler is still the more popular server.
    Koggar.Bertoxxulous likes this.
  13. Fell Augur

Yes, actually having to spend time to get plat and items certainly is painful. Doesn't the OP realize this is the entitlement generation?
  14. Fell Augur

Untrue. The prevalence of plat not only determines the market price of krono, but it also determines the "opportunity cost" of vendor-purchaseable tradeskill mats and spell components. Buying large quantities of these items when mob drops net you 1000p/hour is a far different proposition than when it earns you 50,000p/hour.

Determining the popularity of a server prior to it being launched is, of course, impossible.
  15. Machen New Member

I addressed this. Tradeskills would be the one place where the experience would change.

Likely smiths would change to using more dropped materials for the initial skillups. You wouldn't see banded being sold early.

There isn't really a solution for some of the others such as pottery or jewelcrafting. They would just be painfully expensive.

That's it. That's the only real change on the server.

For krono, the market price in absolute terms doesn't matter. Krono always represents time more than plat.
  16. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

As a connoisseur of red wine this sounds awful.
    Pumpernickel likes this.
  17. Fell Augur

You forget several important areas. Many spells require components, intended to apply a cost-limiting factor to them. When plat flows like wine on a server, this limit vanishes. Who cares about consuming pearls, emeralds, peridots, or tiny coffins, when you're generating tens of thousands of pp every hour?

You're also forgetting that servers experience inflation only when plat sources outnumber sinks. Enormous drop rates create hyperinflation, which causes several issues in of itself, and is one of the driving factors behind demand for krono. This is, in fact, the only reasons I've ever bought and sold krono, to reduce the negative effects of the server's monetary inflation.
  18. Machen New Member

Emeralds for di, sure. Pearls, I doubt it would be much impact for coth to cost 50p instead of 5p, most guilds don't use all that many. Tiny coffins, I think I recall using those on raids once in the last year and a half.

I would think cloudy potions costing 10x more would be worse than any of these.

Either way, players would adjust and the impact would be relatively minor.
  19. Fell Augur

There are raids in which we use 100+ pearls per evening. And the long-term impact of this change would be much more than an effective 10X cost boost. In the past six months alone, our server has seen more than a 100X inflationary increase. Adjusting the drop rate to more closely balance sources with sinks would prevent this.
  20. Nolrog Augur

I'm sorry, I just can't agree with this. The impact would be quite significant. You still need plat to make gear, early on Gates is a great example, but it does continue on and to buy spells; even on Phinigel I would typically buy only the spells I used often and would let other more niche spells go until I picked up a rank 2 somewhere.

This creates such an arbitrary hurdle for people for no good reason and people would go elsewhere. This is not a fun concept at all.