Pick System, explained?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Master Kahleem, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Master Kahleem Augur

Can someone explain how new picks are opened in the current system? All I've been getting are theoretical ideas, and not really how it works (in practice).

Is it either:
    1. Are new picks spawned based on # of people in base pick??
    2. Are new picks spawned based on # of people in the highest # pick??
    I ask, because currently every pick in LGuk is camped (for leveling spots), and we need a new pick opened. Should we be waiting in the base pick, or in the highest # pick? (aka: LGuk45)
    Thanks!
  2. brickz Augur

Each pick has to cross a population threshold at the same time and then a new one is spawned.
  3. Master Kahleem Augur

That's super frustrating :(
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

It depends on the zone. I remember on past TLPs sitting in The Hole and watching 3-4 picks hover at 42 players. I think The Hole threshold is 43-44 players.

Here's some more pick info:
    • Each zone has its own pick threshold based on zone size and number of mobs.
    • Once all current picks are over the threshold a new pick will spawn.
    • The pick system used to spawn two new picks every time. Not sure if it still does.
    • Picks will close when less than the minimum number of players is left in the pick. The minimum number is usually 6 but sometimes 5.
    • Picking used to zone you into the new pick wherever you were. Now it takes you to the safe spot every time.
    • You can only pick every 5 minutes.
    • If your group is in a pick and you zone in, you should be put in the same pick as your group. This doesn't always work, though. When it fails, that person is out of action for 5 minutes until the pick timer runs out and they can pick over.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  5. Gnothappening Augur

What is super frustrating is when you have a pick size of 30 and there are 185 people in pick 1, 30 in pick 2, and 14 in pick 3.
    Accipiter likes this.
  6. Machen New Member

It doesn't typically any more. The one exception is when the threshold is drastically exceeded.

A lot of them are 12. It varies, but not many allow for only 6 to hold it open any more. Usually, if you are in one with 6 and it's not closing, it's because the other picks are all above threshold to spawn a new one.
    One additional point. If you get the message that your pick is closing down in 15 minutes, it WILL close down in 15 minutes. You'll be dumped into the base pick, in the same location you currently are. If that' happens to land you in a full respawn at your camp, you'll quite possibly wipe. So plan accordingly.
    Niskin likes this.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

Ah, I hadn't thought of that.

I highly recommend an audio trigger for this message.
    Lineater likes this.