No Krono EQ2 Server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kahna, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Kahna Augur

Well, I'll be damned. They did do it. I guess we were wrong.

You will not be able to consume, trade or sell krono on the new Origins EQ2 server.
    Cidran and WeCameWeConquered like this.
  2. Zansobar Augur

I assume they couldn't figure out how to make it work on that old of server code. Either that or they expect a very low population so wouldn't get much revenue anyway...
  3. Demetri Augur

Interesting, probably the "separate design depot" bit is what allows it.
  4. Laronk Augur

it could be they just want to test it out somewhere and see if it actually changes anything.

Actually, now that I see this server I might want to play on it. Not because of the krono thing as much but just how different it is. I never really did the EQ2 thing.
  5. Vlahkmaak Augur

Origins has piqued my interest with the return to overland heroics, zero instances, meaningful stats again, and the undoing of every dumbed down thing they did to the game. Kronos I could care less about but here to hoping they re-institute the flying fish of death in Nek Forest!

6. Zansobar Augur

I played EQ2 at launch it was not good. I even played it in Beta, it was a huge shock how not-EQ it was.
    Yinla, WeCameWeConquered and Doze like this.
  7. Lineater Augur

Can you still play on an account with krono that was consumed in a different game?
  8. Tyranthraxus Grognard

So no krono can be traded used or sold on the server...

And you can burn a krono on any other server in any other game daybreak owns for access?

Sooo, trade krono on a diff server for items on the krono free server. Annoying, but not krono free.
    Barton-Vox and Appren like this.
  9. Doze Augur

Taking bets on just how many tickets from people being scammed after trading Krono on a seperate servers for items on the new NoKrono TLP that DPG will be getting as a result of this ...
    Barton-Vox and Moege like this.
  10. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

A simple policy of "too bad so sad" will end it as soon as it starts.
    Tuco, ayoforYayoh and Knifen like this.
  11. Laberintica77 Journeyman

lol @those EQaccountants that said it will never be/can't be done.. your time is coming! get your kronos in mischief to pay your rent maybe next year we'll get one !
  12. Kahna Augur

I mean, I still wouldn't hold your breath. They are jumping through some hoops to make this work, and if it crashes and burns they will be gun shy about trying it again. Also No Krono isn't the main selling point. Going back to 2006 is. If they make a retro EQ server that has old Freeport and corpse runs they might try the no krono thing.
  13. Fuzzbutt Elder

P99 has entered the chat. It's a niche market for purists, not money making which is all Daybreak wants
  14. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I'm more interested in the other parts of the ruleset tbh, I am mostly curious if they are going to undo the itemization squish they did a few years ago that basically killed all interesting parts of loot.
    Demetri likes this.
  15. auto21 Augur

Well, well, well, well... well.. isn't this interesting....
    I won't be including myself in that "we" by the way..
    I suppose the sky isn't going to fall and DBG isn't going to be dragged through every court around the world afterall

/popcorn
  16. auto21 Augur

It's wasn't supposed to be a duplicate of "EQ", rather an evolution and there definitely were improvements e.g. graphics.

They also arguably did a much better job on PVP, as that's where I played for many years on Nagafen. 2004-07 was the golden era.

Everything started to fall apart when jumping/flying mounts came out with battlegrounds. The final straw was stat consolidation.

This new Origins server takes it back to 2006 code, so not original but as close as they can get, in an effort to reverse aforementioned changes.
    Rijacki likes this.
  17. Kahna Augur

It is still going to have issues. People are still going to trade and use krono. Just on other servers. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I normally spend a few months dabbling on these servers. It's a nice distraction and I can pick up a krono or 50 just playing the game like I normally do. Not going to bother this year.
  18. Demetri Augur

To be seen if they did, but the description certainly sounds like they did.
  19. jeskola pheerie

This is very surprising. I can see a path to a similar EQ1 TLP next year.
  20. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

This argument is basically "getting rid of Krono doesn't get rid of RMT"...but Krono didn't introduce RMT. You've been able to give someone cash money for EQ items since 1999.

Krono (and the systems EQ adapted it from, like EVE's PLEX) made RMT:
    1. Relatively safe and convenient, with no need for an escrow system or out-of-game coordination.
    2. Profitable to the developers, since they "mint" the currency RMT must be safely conducted in.

Doing a "no Krono server" is dead simple, you just remove the ability to turn a Krono (the number tied to your game account) into a Krono (the tradable item). If you want to be even lazier don't even mess with the UI option and literally just flag Krono as no-trade on that server. I'm sure that's all they had to do for EQ2.

This has the practical desired effect, but the practical desired effect was never "eliminate RMT entirely", it was always "put RMT back into a pre-Krono state where it's inconvenient and unsafe to engage in".

tl;dr - Doing "no krono servers" is simple, and has the desired effect for players, but might hurt monetization.