New Progression Server FAQ and Upcoming Poll Details

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Aristo, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Vmas_Kelx_Fippy New Member

Also please disable those Weapon Ornamentations from the SC Store...
    Fallfyres likes this.
  2. Vaclav Augur

They've stated appearance only SC items will be appearing and they're just debating which ones.
  3. Thazager Journeyman

I like how both dragons, Vox and Naggy kicked players from the zone for being over the raid level, unfortunately this only happened when they got to close to the mob.

I think this might work for such things like getting epic parts, where the character that was too high was removed from the zone, when they came near any of these lower level mobs. Maybe even something like keeping a player from entering such a zone. Many of the high level zones have a min level to zone in. What if there were also a max level to zone in? If the character was too high for the content in that zone, they could not simple pop in and kill all the lower level mobs for free items. Where some players use that for selling an item needed back to a player who could have gotten it themselves, if the mobs were not perma camped.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  4. Nolrog Augur

They cannot change the XP needed to level for one server; they all run off the same data. What they do is give a serverwide negative XP modifier to slow down the XP gain. So no it is very unlikely they will put these in (and it's unlikely that they will change the levels where you get spells back to the old way either.)
  5. Jezzie Augur

I went to vote. First item was name of server, second item on the table was "second" choice for schedule.
    It's my bad, I didn't read it properly, wasn't expecting it to be reversed from the way it's described in the OP.
    So I then voted max nostalgia as my first choice and changed my second choice.
    I hope people don't make the mistake I made and think they are selecting first choice when they are actually voting second choice.
  6. Bandok Augur

The voting window appears to be populated as "newest vote first". So it lists them in reverse order compared to what was at the top of this thread, since I expect they entered the polls in the order at the top of the thread.
  7. Ziggy Augur

Sooo .....

What about out of era mobs in revamped zones .... say like the lavaspinners in lavastorm, can we get those disabled as well, please?
    Fallfyres and Arkk like this.
  8. The Badger Lord Augur

The Accelerated Option. 2 months of classic may be a bit too much for just classic. 8 months of Kunark And Velious may also be too much. 3 months of POP, especially with Ykesha and LDON, may be too little.

Overall it's still the best option if you want to start with Classic, by far.
    However, it tweaking should be considered.

It takes people a bit to get through the first raid bosses in classic, so you have to add that time in there. That may be another month. However, once the majority of the population approaches 50 is when all of the problems begin. It happens in theory, it happened on Fippy, and it will happen again here. Especially with the confirmation of only one server, for the problems on progression 2.0 was divided amongst Fippy and Vulak, and there were still the problems of a classic end game bottleneck. Can you imagine an overly long period of classic with all of those people on only one server? Remember Fippy was 90 days of guaranteed classic, and it proved to be too much. That was with 2 servers, so 60 days of guaranteed classic on this round may be cutting it too close. Let's go a bit faster on the Classic setting. 6 weeks instead of 8.

Once Kunark opens, the population versus space balances out. Kunark alleviates the bottleneck of classic solo and group content, but not the raiding content. Then the next expansion, Velious, helps alleviate the bottleneck of the raiding content (one or two guilds have much more trouble locking down all raid content for Kunark and Velious).

It may not all be perfect (not everything is fixed by merely adding expansions), but the first two expansions are big in balancing out some of the major problems you will see on a progression. Hence you don't want to linger in just classic for a year, or just Kunark for 2 years.

As the expansions progress, class balance issues also improve. Rangers and rogues are virtually worthless in the classic setting, and paladins aren't as strong as other tanks. Monks and magi also become less overpowered as their changes that overpower the classic setting gradually diminish. I am writing another forum to propose a solution to class balancing other than merely advancing the progression (more in the future).

You also do not have an additional level cap increase from Kunark- Velious. Hence If I had to, I would be more for spending 8 months in Kunark that I would for 8 months in Velious. There is no cap from Velious-Luclin either, however there are AA.

Remember that people may also get bored of something that lasts too long. If the community withers, the game experience suffers. Everquest is dependent on community much more than other MMOs, and that's one of the things people liked.

However, these first two expansions are also some of the most cherished. So you don't want to simply blow through them all as fast as Fippy did. You want to take your time and enjoy it. That was the whole point of Daybreak going with a slower progression.

Remember Fippy was 90 days for classic and 60 days thereafter. People thought Fippy progressed too fast with a 2 month unlock timer. Yet.........................8 months may be a bit too much. A Nice balance between too fast and too slow would be 6 months. 6 months is much slower than Fippy darkpaw. That's 4 months more per expansion than Fippy. Of course, I'd rather have 8 months of this over 2 months of Fippy, but its not my perfect ideal.

Accelerated Variation: The Magical Team 6
    6 weeks of Classic. 6 months of Kunark, 6 months of Velious, 6 months Luclin, and then instead of POP for 3 months, you make it 6-8 months. Why? Because not only are you getting POP, but Ykesha and LDON as well. Hence POP is the time you want to spend at least 6 months in (good call here original poster). Overall that's about 2 years of classic (POP and below) setting.

Conclusion: Balance between too slow and too long. Release everything sooner than listed and extend POP for a greater length. 6 week Classic, 6 month Kunark. 6 month Velious. 6 month Luclin. 6-8 month POP.
    Thash likes this.
  9. Arkk Lorekeeper

I remember that--it was like 1-2% per kill so the competition for every spawn in newbie zones was like 2 hours just to get to two. The cap on % wasn't kind to the low levels, and upper level exp was faster than the original, and I think faster than the 2006 progression servers.
  10. Arkk Lorekeeper

Instance + current raid lockout system would work for the actual raids--put a 14 day lockout on everyone for it and you open up these dragons to the majority who won't see them because of guilds locking down the spawns. Allow the normal spawns to be raced for and rotated among the capable guilds. It means more dragons in the long run, but it would allow most to not feel like they are given an ultimatum to join "raid guild X" if they plan to experience the content before the next expansions come out. I think that pressure and the expectation to race and compete for most players is what voids the population faster than anything else, since so many want the nostalgia without devoting all of their time to it. And the player population disintegrating only makes us nostalgic of the mass exodus of 2004.
  11. Arkk Lorekeeper

I agree.

It is one thing to have bottlenecks where everyone lines up to group; when those groups are for mobs that didn't exist it becomes a different game and seems exploitative and just gives people more reason to avoid the server. The goal should be recruitment and retention.

I like that Jaggedpine is finally not going to be there until it was added, and that Paw is not full of elementals dropping old hotzone items.
  12. Carroth New Member

Any word on bringing back some of the old school spell research? The drops in game were replaced with vendor loot runes, once Walmart gained a foothold in Norrath with their PoK store. :(

I really miss farming little known, under played zones for a chance to get a rare research item. And then making somebody's day, when you can produce a very in demand spell, that only drops off raid bosses, or in perma-camped Seb. :)
    Fallfyres likes this.
  13. Souleach Journeyman

I was really hoping they would add instance version for raid bosses I know I have heard chatter of a guild forming for the exculsive reason of keeping all raid targets locked down for their benefit and to keep others from being able to kill them. I know this has happened on my server when my progression guild was in zones before instance versions were available and we would go weeks and weeks with no raid target for the guild amd really kills moral and these asshats get their thrills by messing with someone elses playtime and enjoyment.
  14. AntiGriefer Journeyman

This wont be happening. I and a few other friends will be watching for this. We have made classes, that are adept at ending a guilds raid if they choose to try to lock down content for themselves. I advise guilds forming to work out a schedule as asap, and don't try to horde content alone. A raid of 40-50 people with such whims, will have a wasted evening otherwise. Follow etiquette or pay the price.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  15. AntiGriefer Journeyman

apparently I cant edit my prior post. Should read : We Will Be making classes....
  16. Tamat New Member

I'm actually pretty bummed that items wont stay on your corpse. It's going to have an impact on the risk factor, which will make early Plane of Fear/Hate raids feel less meaningful. Would you consider making items drop on your corpse within certain zones to maintain that original feeling?
    Cloudous and Fallfyres like this.
  17. Fallfyres Augur

--------------------------------------
    Or.....if the devs decide to go with the option of classic start only--THEN the good stuff becomes a goal, building up your main becomes a mission including actually learning/ trying to master your class.
    Said players build rep on the server, dirtbags earn their own well-known name annnnnd, pling/zooming to cap is much less desirable compared to grouping, setting goals for items you want to EARN, tradeskilling and you know, just about everything in the content becomes more valuable/potentially people-connected than rushinfrushing through content. There may be some of course that will still do exactly that but that "some" would be WAY fewer than the alternative. See there are many that look forward to experiencing the content while with other human players, not Mercs or SC-enhanced morphed powerhouses. Content to experience. If its too slow, you can play on live. The overall theme amongst voters so far is different than the last two. Daybreak --listen to the players and don't do an exact replica of your last two progression servers-please and thank you.
  18. Fallfyres Augur

No....please no.
    learn it-earn it...not be given it or buy it off some cash store ; o/
    Cloudous likes this.
  19. Fallfyres Augur

--------------------------
    kskldvuidfj kwern6675%%5%% - No. Please and thank you, period.
    Cloudous likes this.
  20. Thazager Journeyman

What about veteran AAs? Or items that normally appear in the /claims ?