Massive FPS problems since last patch ...

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by SaPPeRs, Jan 23, 2020.

1. SaPPeRs New Member

Since the latest windows update and the last patch. My laptop has had a massive drop in FPS. I have updated everything - windows / and Nvidia drivers. I have forced the use of the Nvidia GPU. I have tried rolling back drivers. and nothing works. I haven't changed any in game settings. The laptop has a I7 chip and a GTX 850 Nividia. Any suggestions?
    Dyna likes this.
  2. Sarkaukar Augur

1. Have you tried rolling the system back prior to the Windows update
    2. Power Options, set to High Performance
    3. Possible coincidence issue started with Windows update - Can of compressed air and clear out the vents/heatsinks

Question, you are running it with th AC adapter plugged in and not off the battery, correct? there are times when a notebook can get stuck thinking it's running on your battery. Like say if you were to unplug your notebook and move it from one spot to another while leaving it On, and then plug it back in to A/C power, it may not switch back to running with High Performance and instead might be stuck in Power Saving mode. To fix this:
    -Power off the notebook
    -Unplug the A/C cord.
    -Remove your battery.
    -Re-insert the battery and A/C cord and reboot
    xxGriff likes this.
  3. xxGriff Augur

All of the suggestions Sarkuakar gave are good and could/should help u narrow down the issue. Due to Windows update and driver updates/nVidia Optimus (switching GPU's) it is still not clear if its windows, or a system configuration issue. then there are potentials for oversight (running on battery or nVidia settings of Power Save vs adaptive or Performance in the nVidia control panel etc) going back to the state where your system worked as you found acceptable, and then performing subsequent changes/updates one at a time.
    Sarkaukar likes this.